have you used the double ended hook?

Wow that's pretty where can I get a double ended hook from? I haven't seen any in Hobby Lobby or Michael's and I no longer have paypal to buy it online. I would love to learn Tunisian and crocheting with a double ended hook. I have a tunisian hook but can't get the hnag of crocheting with it yet.

thanks! I don't know what tunisian is??? The hook and directions was a gift a few years ago and I was sure to send pics of this afghan to the gifter to let her know that I did use the hook to create a wedding gift, and thanked her again.

It really is very easy! You work with one color on each end, and the panels work quickly because they're thin and long. Then you edge each panel, also quick... then you're supposed to sew the panels together but I just used a single crochet, it was quicker. Then you edge the whole thing!

I find it hard to believe that in this community I'm the only one who's used this!

Can you make other things besides afghans with it? I mean I love yours I wish I had it but can yu make other things out of it? If you can use a double ended hook Jess.in.WI then you can do tunisian it's a long crochet hook and the stitching is different but I think you can use any stitch I'm not too sure though.

Ooh, I have one of those hooks, and have played around with it, but never actually attempted a project with it. One more thing on my mile-long project list. I've only been crocheting for about a year and a half, and I've been soaking up patterns and techniques like mad.

I've joined the Tunisian graph ghan CAL, to try to teach myself the tunisian technique. And yes, I do believe a tunisian hook is also called an afghan hook.

Aelita--I got my hook at Hobby Lobby. Maybe you can ask them about getting one from another store?

Well, I'm off to grab the Annie's Attic pattern today...I almost forgot about it! Have a good weekend!

thanks Midds! Do you have any pics of yours? I'd love to see what you've made!

If you look in my album *sig* you'll see a baby blanket, camo blanket and scrap-ghan, all made with my crochet hook... super easy!

I bought a couple at Hobby Lobby at Columbia, SC as I was passing thru this past April. They were for a dishcloth pattern that promptly got lost as soon as I got home. Was hoping to learn a new technique. Now, I hope to be able to find the hooks whenever I come across the pattern again. LOL.

thanks! I don't know what tunisian is??? The hook and directions was a gift a few years ago and I was sure to send pics of this afghan to the gifter to let her know that I did use the hook to create a wedding gift, and thanked her again.

It really is very easy! You work with one color on each end, and the panels work quickly because they're thin and long. Then you edge each panel, also quick... then you're supposed to sew the panels together but I just used a single crochet, it was quicker. Then you edge the whole thing!

I find it hard to believe that in this community I'm the only one who's used this!

This link explains Tunisian crochet. http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?cat_id=334&type_id=S

This explains the Cro-hook. (double ended crochet, crochet-on-the-double) http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?cat_id=330&type_id=S

so, what do you do? leave all that loops on the hook and when you get to the end, finish them with the hook on the other side?

you ghan is awesome.

um... well ok you make the chain as wide as you want it to be... then you insert through the first loop, yo and pull through only one loop leaving the other loop on the hook. You keep doing that til all the loops are on the hook, then you turn, pick up the other color yarn that is always hanging off the other side, and yo and pull through 2 loops. I think it's the afghan stitch only you're using two strands all the time, that's what makes it reversable.

Yes, I made an afghan but it ran off at one side and I always intended to rip it and correct it. I had the hook for years before I knew how to use it. There is a site specializing in crohook with free patterns and lots of good instructions. Will try and find it. Zaraliz

www.crochenit.com/free_patterns.htm

also lots of info:

http://hmmmk.tripod.com/crohook.htm

Oooh you're afghan is very pretty! I just bought a double-ended hook from Joann's to make a tote bag from a pattern that was one of Annie's Attic's daily freebies, but it turns out I need the cabled kind. :think Doesn't that figure? I've had fun learning how to use it though; it turned out a lot easier than it looked like it would be. Now I just have to make something besides a long 3-inch wide strip. :P

Can you make other things besides afghans with it? I mean I love yours I wish I had it but can yu make other things out of it? If you can use a double ended hook Jess.in.WI then you can do tunisian it's a long crochet hook and the stitching is different but I think you can use any stitch I'm not too sure though.

Yes, you can make all sorts of things with it. It uses the Tunisian Stitch, but there are lots of different stitches that are Tunisian. I just finished making a bag and I am working on a round, small mobious scarf (I think that's what it will be when it's finished). No pattern for either... just making it all up as I go.

I got my double ended hook from Moez.. just google it and you will find lots of Tunisian style hooks.

Joan

Your afghan looks great! I have a size H (I think) double-ended hook I use to make hats with. I chain 41, work until the piece is 19 1/2 inches long, then sewn the sides together and gather it at the top. I add a couple of rows of sc to the bottom for the brim. They turn out nice and are great for the troops!

My local Hobby Lobby has both Boye and Bates double ended crochet hooks, as well as the crochet hooks that are 14" or so long, and they also carry the crochet hook with the 22" cable. Of course, I had to get one of each kind!(that's just 3 hooks-double ended, long crochet hook, and the cable hook!) Hobby Lobby carries the largest selection of hooks that I have ever seen!

I just bought myself 3 14" double ended hooks from Hobby Lobby (in the clearance section no less - score!) Using the J hook to make a dishcloth, but I'm struggling with the piece curling right now but I'm liking working with the hook. HL had other double ended hooks in their regular section, but they were all 9" in length. They also had cable hooks. Hope Zaraliz can find the link for the website on Tunisian crochet.

My local Hobby Lobby has both Boye and Bates double ended crochet hooks, as well as the crochet hooks that are 14" or so long, and they also carry the crochet hook with the 22" cable. Of course, I had to get one of each kind!(that's just 3 hooks-double ended, long crochet hook, and the cable hook!) Hobby Lobby carries the largest selection of hooks that I have ever seen!

I really wish I had a HL near me! I've got two Walmarts, a Michaels and a Joann's and none of them have a single double-ended hook! Knitting needles out the wahzoo, but no double-ended hook- cabled, 10", 14", nothing. So frustrating! :angry

I have made a bunch of crohooked baby blankets over the last few years but I don't have a pic (at least that I can find now). I usually make 1 a month for our church baby blanket for the hospitals project. We don't meet in the summer so maybe that only 8 to 10. I use Mary Middleton's patterns at crochetnit.com (I believe) and have taught her shell stitch to others at the church group. I have also used the regular basic crohook pattern and the crochet on the double (Annie's Attic)pattern with the longer stitch--pull thru a loop chain 1 when you pick up each stitch. I have also made stoles using all the stitches and I keep trying to pick up new versions to try. Now I'm working on a baby blanket with the 'iridescent bubble stitch' from Crochet mag of March 2003. I find they are fun to make.

Nancy

Archived