Hackey sack

Addey

Yesterday while I was at work, my friend Don spied my med pouch that I made a few months back. (I posted it here, the rainbow pouch, I just don't know the thread...) He asked if I could make a hackey sack just like it.

Well, here it is!

704078679_d6d9da9d16_m.jpg

I made this all in one piece. The pattern I had called for DMC floss, a B hook and sc. Well, I had #10 thread and a D hook and used HDC. I think it came out about right. It is filled with polly pellets (I actualy found them at JoAnn's!) in the toe of an old stocking so they won't scatter everywhere. I hope he enjoys it.

I know Sam did. He watched me finish it up and couldn't resist taking it for a test hack. :D

704953462_cd9f7652fe_m.jpg

I intend on making a few more of these this week to send to KristyMN for her toy drive. I think the guys will dig them and I've got odds and ends of thread just lying around.

such great thread! so nice of you to make it for him upon request (but seriously, how often do men request crochet stuff??).

Great job on you hackey sack. I think I will make some for my FIL. He would like them to use for juggling.

such great thread! so nice of you to make it for him upon request (but seriously, how often do men request crochet stuff??).

I have actually had a few men request things. Such as an afghan and a beanie hat.

ooohhh, my cousin was just talking to me about making hackey sacks and i've not had time to look for a pattern yet. good job, very pretty.

Sandy

Thanks everyone. I got to work before my friend and just left it on his desk. I was in a meeting when he got it and when I got back to my desk I had this wonderful THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU message on my voicemail. :lol

Basically find any ball pattern you like and make sure it comes out to about a 2" diameter with the thread/hook combo you're using. I strongly suggest using a stocking to hold the beads in... then it doesn't matter if you're using a 'loose' stitch or not (or even if you're using SC nothing can work it's way out...)

I loved making those. My son has one that I underfilled and he uses it as a stress ball.

What worked out for me was to get those plastic BBs that they sell in the sporting goods store. I never needed to put an extra bag in the balls I've made when using those.

ooohhh, my cousin was just talking to me about making hackey sacks and i've not had time to look for a pattern yet. good job, very pretty.

Sandy

Here's a pattern that I've crochet. It doesn't give as detailed instructions as I would have liked :sigh but it's so cute made up. :frog BTW, I used a size 6 steel hook and #5 pearl cotton. I don't think I'll have to use anything to keep the pellets in. :devil

I've seen the frog one and want to try it for my mom. I'd guess you wouldn't have to use anything to keep the pellets in with that one, looks nice and tight.

I've found that even if I didn't need the hose to keep the pellets in, I like using it anyhow. Then I can stuff it full when the opening is still pretty big and not worry about spilling the beans all over the place while I close it up. (Hey, neat is not something I do well... I'm good at making a mess just sitting still...)

I've found that even if I didn't need the hose to keep the pellets in, I like using it anyhow. Then I can stuff it full when the opening is still pretty big and not worry about spilling the beans all over the place while I close it up. (Hey, neat is not something I do well... I'm good at making a mess just sitting still...)

As I learned while I was trying to keep the pellets in and finish crocheting it at the same time! :blush The next time I make something to be filled with pellets, I will be using your hose idea. :yes Opps, there's another pellet...

Archived