My first freeform piece (WIP)

Ladycrochat

Well, I have gotten up enough courage to actually try this.....now it is time to show everyone here what I have come up with so far. Please tell me HONESTLY what you think....I value your criticisms and advice......my idea here is to make a more or less squared off piece to hang on the wall banner style....

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/DKousmat58/Crochet/DSCN2530.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THAT'S AWESOME!!! I've got to try that sometime, but I'd like mine to have

just a bit more organization to it ... in your's I see some CHOCOLATES!!

Wouldn't that be fun to make an afghan or something with a bunch of different chocolates as the theme!!! It also reminds of a piece of art I did

in college!!! GREAT JOB - can't wait to see it finished!!!:D

I think it's great! The randomness of it is what makes it freeform (I think)! I wouldn't make it too squared off, I think the uneven edges are just perfect! Very Nice!

Kim

Well! You are all just great for my ego! Honestly, I was a bit worried :blush posting it, because I know that freeform crochet isn't :no for everyone......I will take all your fine advice to heart, and try to improve what I have here......thanks:hug so much everyone for your input....You guys are THE BEST!:ghug

looks good to me. only thing i would say is that it doesn't have the textures i see in other freeform. but each to their own! looks good as is and i bet it will look great like a wall hanging.

I will look for more "textured" stitches......I do not have textured yarns here....so I tried for some variety by useing cassette tape, fabric, thread ,plastic and yarn in this one. I will go on a TEXTURE hunt!:lol

Well, I have gotten up enough courage to actually try this.....now it is time to show everyone here what I have come up with so far. Please tell me HONESTLY what you think....I value your criticisms and advice......my idea here is to make a more or less squared off piece to hang on the wall banner style....

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/DKousmat58/Crochet/DSCN2530.jpg

That is really neat!!!! This is my 1st time checking out the freeform forums and so I'm intrigued. I love how colorful it is. Thanks for sharing!

Good for you, Debbie! It is turning out great! I do love the cheerful colors. I agree it looks like candy...what my grandmother used to call "Jinglebits", those hard candies with the little pictures inside.

I also think it should have irregular edges.

What about a bit more texture? Those boullion stitches that Moonrhythm used might be good. Check out u-Tube and Margaret Hubert's video of how to make them. I'll post the link in a minute.

Keep up the good work, and let us see how your wall hanging progresses.

THANKS for that video link Artemis! I was wrapping my loops too tightly, and not useing the widest part of the hook......it is such an easy but clever idea! Now the roll/boullion stitch is MUCH easier! LOL!:hook

And thank you for your encouragement everyone! Since there are not really any guidelines to doing freeform crochet it is easier (freedom wise) but on the other hand, feed back from others is important because you do not get any feedback from knowing you are following a pattern correctly. I am just so used to having a definite idea of exactly what I am supposed to be doing while crocheting.Imust learn to trust my instincts and just "go with the flow" so to speak!

I am just so used to having a definite idea of exactly what I am supposed to be doing while crocheting. Imust learn to trust my instincts and just "go with the flow" so to speak!

I hear ya! The thought of doing something "random" just doesn't seem to mesh with me. Be it crochet, scrapbooking etc I just can't get it to work. The funny thing being it's not supposed to work :think Yeah, I'll leave ya to it cos you're doing a great job :)

Debbie, your piece is coming along great. I like it a lot. My tip for bullions is to use a bamboo hook. I've been successful with regular aluminum hooks, but for some yarns, they just don't do well. I found that using a bamboo hook made my life a lot easier. Bullions really are fun and can be addicting. Please post more pics as you progress. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed piece of art work.:yes :yes :yes

i was going to ask Debbie if she had any updates, didn't realise it's only been a week :blush

Archived