Blankey Brigade

cajunwhacko

Hi all!

I just wanted to let you know about something that Kimberly (Woven n Spun) and I are starting up, so that you have the opportunity to get involved if you'd like to.

Wheels are being put in motion to start the Blankey Brigade. As such, we're going to begin making baby blankets for newborns whose fathers are deployed. Plans are for the blankets to be red, white and blue.

It's going to be slow going for a while, I assume, while everything gets started up, but the idea has been given a big thumbs up, so I wanted to let y'all know about it.

If you have any questions, you can email me or send me a Private Message, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Update: A size for the blankeys has been agreed on. :yay The target size is roughly 28x28 or 30x30. It doesn't have to be exact, just something close to that. They can be any pattern, so you can do whatever you want as far as that goes. We also have a button now that Kimberly created! Anyone who's interested in joining up is more than welcome to save it and put it up on their blog or website.

th_blankeybrigade.jpg

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am really excited about this project and can't wait to get started. Like I needed an excuse to go buy more yarn....but this is a really GREAT excuse. :)

My Chaplain here was also excited about this project when I discussed it with him. He can't wait to see what us "creative folk" come up with.

:hook

I ready! I'll start on one today! Hmmm.... what pattern to use. Anybody have any thoughts?...The 12 point star maybe? or maybe a ripple like the "colorful" one I posted about in the show and tell thread?

Barbara

Awesome!

I'm in a sling for a week, so dealing with worker's comp and all that fun stuff, so no crocheting for me. I'm so glad to see y'all getting involved though!

Hopefully I'll be able to do more next week, for now it's mostly one handed typing and dealing with the nitty gritty - on a vicodin 'high'. Oh well.

Welcome to the Blankey Brigade!

That sounds great. Another charity excuse to crochet. That makes it a valid reason right :lol :lol . Suggestion for a pattern would be the star afghan that was made as a snuggle. I can't remember who listed it, but it was just listed today on show & tell, I think. Should make it easier to find. I have already started on a snuggle in that pattern & it works up really fast. Just add more rows to it for the size you need.

Count me in:yay This sounds like a great project for the Hermitage Hobby Lobby group. I know "Nashville Crocheter" has already posted. Unlike "Nashville Crocheter" I'm not going to use the 12 point baby blanket. I just finished one and it took me too long. Wish this had started before all the Ft. Campbell babies were born.

Barbara

Well, I found the star pattern I was talking about. Just left a pic of one I made as a snuggle. I think you will like this pattern. I can think of about a dz. color combos just using red, white & blue. I used a J hook & I figured all 15 rows would make it approx. 26" Just add a row or 2.

Star afghan pattern

I got started on my Blankie today. I decided to do a ripple with red, white and blue stripes. I may edge it with a varagated red, white and blue yarn Will have to wait and see how I feel about that when I get it finished.

Barbara

This is a great pattern. I need to go get some yarn tomorrow (or see what's left in my stash) and see if I can't get started on this.

Thanks for posting it.

Well, I found the star pattern I was talking about. Just left a pic of one I made as a snuggle. I think you will like this pattern. I can think of about a dz. color combos just using red, white & blue. I used a J hook & I figured all 15 rows would make it approx. 26" Just add a row or 2.

Star afghan pattern

Check out the star pattern they are talking about. It only has 5 points instead of 12 like we were doing. So it may not take as long to make as your beautiful one did :)

I may do that one next but for now I'm working on a rectangle ripple.

Barbara

As soon as I am allowed to crochet again I am going to get some yarn and try a ripple and then a star. Y'all are full of great ideas! Has anyone tried doing the star in baby clouds before?? I love that stuff...

Oh, and is there a pic of the 12 point one somewhere that I can see?

I just posted on your blog. I would love to get in on this. But right, we are in the process of PCSing in August. We have a house we need to get ready to sell. I love making baby blankets. If I get a chance, I will get something started. But when we get there, I will get in contact with ya!

No Problem Leah.

I totally understand the PCS'ing thing. We too are looking at a move in August. We haven't received our orders yet and that's causing me a little stress, but that's normal for us ggg.

PM if you get a chance with your regular email addy.

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments. I really enjoy making that pattern. :)

I have made 2 of them and can't remember how long they took...several days maybe a week but they are bigger than 30X30. So if ya don't make as many rounds is won't take as long.

Barbara

Archived