Pillowghan CAL

Guest PamCrochets

Thank you Mitzi :)

I've decided to do the pocket and put it on before making and adding any more rows, I think it'll be easier that way, only one more square to go for that then 4 more rows of squares to finish the afghan.

:frog

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're welcome!

I'm now ready to start my second pillowghan! :hook

I'll be spending some time today choosing a different pattern and of course the fun part - YARN!

:welcome to KnittyKim!

It's a good day to start a new project today...it's wet, rainy and cold and I have been given my children's COLD!

Does anyone have any really nice looking "solid" square patterns for use for this?? the ones I found were pretty but too "lacy" to be very practical.

Ideas anyone? TIA!

Marla - the ones I have seen are in Leisure Arts books and those are listed on the Pillowghan site (link in my signature) - they may still be available on eBay, which is where I typically find mine!

I have enjoyed so much going through all the notes about the pillowghans. I made mine almost 2 years ago with 18" granny squares of various colors and put together with white. I did not want just a plain pillow so put a ruffle border around the pillow square. I do not have a picture yet but will try to get one to send and post. To those who have not finished, keep working on it. The reward is so gratifying. :manyheart:hook Good luck to all of you.

In addition to adding an extra round to my pineapple square to get it to 12" I also got the bright idea of ending the last round with a ch 3 and sl st in the beg ch-3, that makes it much easier to stitch the squares together.

I have the pocket on mine, now all I have left is 4 more rows of squares to do to finish, then this is one is off to Oregon for a very special friend for his birthday.

My pineapple block is supposed to be 16x16 but I lost a row because I done my first ch 3's in the ch 1 spaces on the first row of the pineapple instead of in the dc's but it looks good

It looks alot like the one everyone is using only it has more rows.

I am not in the pillowgan along but I am making one if someone tells me where to put the pocket:)

The pocket goes on the backside of the afghan in the middle of the bottom row, you put the right side of the square against the wrong side of the afghan so that when it's turned you have the right side of the square facing. If you're using one square for the pocket then you only need 3 squares across. If you're using a 2 x 2 square for the pocket then you need 4 squares in each row.

You're welcome, evelyn :)

Here's my progress on my pillowghan, I've already put the pocket on, now I just need 3 more rows of squares and it'll be finished :hook

pineapple4rg.th.jpg

It's gorgeous! :hook

I think I've decided on doing the pineapple square for my next one, too. And using some stash yarn in bright colors - like purple, peach and green (I know it sounds hideous, but when you actually put these particular shades together they're actually quite nice!)

Great JOB! :yay:hug

Hi Mitzi - I left a comment at the site, but I wanted to post here too. Can I still join? I have yarn to make a frog afghan for DD#1 and a ladybug afghan for DD#1. But I can't get motivated because it is sooooo tedious! I am thinking I can design my own using the pillowghan chart and destress the projects! LOL!

Purple peach and green sound like they'll be gorgeous together, I can't wait to see it.

The squares work up fairly fast even though I had to add an extra round to get a 12" one. They're really easy.

Hi Cheryl!

It's never too late to join! I'm just starting my second one, so you'll have me, if not more people crocheting along with you! Designing your own is a clever idea, too! That takes the stress off and allows you to enjoy the process! Welcome! I'll get you added to the list ASAP!!!!! :hug

OH! And I plan on adding a border to each square in another color (maybe white?) to make joining easier....how does white sound? (maybe something else???)

That sounds good, if that's what you want. I didn't have any problems joining, I'm crocheting mine together with sl st through the back loops and it looks great.

• 3 weeks later...

Its almost midnite and I just found the site. Can I still join? I want to make a kid size pillowghan. I like using the one square method. :clap

katsii

It could have been faster if things hadn't gotten hectic over the past couple of weeks and my wrists started bothering me a little.

The squares work up really fast after the first few and you don't need the directions anymore.

The recipient is very excited, he told me so in answer to the email I sent him letting him know it was on the way :yay

• 2 months later...

Alright missy....you asked for it!

This poor little crochet along hasn't had any love for so long......so after much deliberation over what kind of pillowghan to make next...squares...colors....I decided to do the same thing over again. That's logical, yes? I'm making another Pillowghan like I did before- the Star Pillowghan only instead of two strands of RH, I'm using one strand of LB Chunky in Nantucket. This stuff was on clearance at the almighty JoAnn's not too long ago and I got all they had.

It's coming along great and I do like it. I'm sure it will be going to charity as I'm betting once I get done with it, it will be cooling down. I'm already into the second skein of Chunky and it's nice stuff. Soft and squishy which is always therapeutic....

So, if you're still out there and working on your pillowghans, THANK YOU! And if you'd like to jump in - I'm still here. I've been in quite a funk lately and I apologize!

Archived