Pillowghan CAL

Guest PamCrochets

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't do my pillowghan with squares, but if you're using the standard 12" square then your pillow should be a total of 4 squares, which is the size you stated. I guess I didn't think about it being very big that way. It should be 24 squares for the 'ghan and an additional 4 for the pillow. There's a little picture on this page.:think That probably doesn't help - maybe someone who did the 12" squares will be able to help.

Ok. I just looked at the gallery page and Becky's afghan is only 3 squares across. If you do it that way then you would only need the one square to fold the afghan into. Hers didn't work out to be a 'pillowghan' exactly, but she still did the pillows. I can see how it would work, though. Three squares across would give your width 36" and then you could just make it as long as needed. I don't know if you'd run into problems trying to get it all to fit into the one square at the end, though. Probably couldn't be too long or it wouldn't work.

My J hook makes a square 11" and I can't find my K hook, it seems to have grown legs and wandered off, looks like I migh have to go buy an extra one.

:frog

Hi Fran!

What I usually do is swipe the posted photos from the board here and upload them to my own photobucket account to host at my website for the CAL gallery. I get so much web space "free" with my service provider and I use that to host the gallery. So, if you'll post with the photo url's - I'll get that done ASAP!

Typically there are two photos per project - one of the ghan and then one of it folded into the pillow.

I'm looking forward to seeing your finished projects!:yay

I think I'm going to pull my hair out by their roots :thair

I need to either learn how to count or something, every time I've tried to make this pineapple square I end up ripping back to the 3rd rnd cause somewhere I've made 5 tr instead of 6 :bang

Ok, I feel better now, maybe I'm making all my mistakes on the first go so the rest will be smooth. I hope this K hook makes the right size square.

I'm such an idiot. Yesterday I went up to the post office to send it, but I was going to just pay for it, then take it back home so I could wait and take a picture of it. (And wash the afghan, to get any dog hair off...) And wrap the things (There was a poncho, a Chelles' skull cup, a purse, and two doll outfits, too...) Well, the guy behind the counter said "If I put it in a box, I have to tape it up." (I don't like this guy... I've had him before.) I don't know why, but I let him tape it up. So... now I won't have a picture to show y'all. :cry I can see if I can get her to take a picture of it, but I highly doubt it will happen. I can barely get an email saying she got the package.... Sorry guys. I don't have a camera right now, anyway. (But I might be getting a digital camera in a couple of weeks.) I wanted to get it out to them, they live in Texas, and it's going to be getting hot there pretty soon. That's probably why I let him tape it up (besides the fact that he was scaring me.)...:scared

Tina

timelesscreations.blogspot.com

Good Luck with that K Hook, Chatty! Sometimes it just helps to put it aside for awhile and walk away. ;)

And Tina - I can't believe your post office! Mine has signs everywhere saying they will not tape anyone's box - that it's against the law now for the PO to do that. I've seen them refuse to tape boxes and say "I can only sell you tape now, I can't tape it for you". He seems to be running his own thing.

COngratulations on getting it finished, though! I'm real sorry not to see a picture as I'm sure it's beautiful!

I kept saying inside my head, "What is this guy, a Nazi or something?" (Maybe he's one of those crazy postal workers- not funny, but maybe it's true...):( They've let me pay for my box ahead of time, before, and take it back home as long as I didn't put anything else in it, and they checked it at the p.o. before I sent it again... I don't know. Maybe I should complain, or ask someone next tine I go in. I'm kind of disappointed. I wanted to wrap their gifts, and send some candy with it.... Oh well... I am glad I finished it, though, and I will probably be making another one, I have all the yarn to do it, so maybe I can take a picture of that one. (Maybe by then, I will have my digital camera!...)

Tina

timelesscreations.blogspot.com

I did put the square down last night since I was also tired. Me and hubby had spent the day changing a liner in a swimming pool so we were both tired.

I finished it this morning and it was still 11" so before I did :bang again a :idea hit me so I tried it and it worked.

I simply added another round. When I got to the end of the dc before the pineapple I ch 3 and dc in the sc on top of the pineapple. When I was finished I had a 12" square and my pineapples have a nice sharp point. I attached the yarn to my other square and added the rnd to that and ss the two squares together and they look great so that's how I'm doing it.

I'm happy now :yay

Edit: Here's a pic of the square so you can see what I did:

pinsquare5bd.th.jpg

It's not blue, it's amethyst, for some reason my camera always makes amethyst look like blue.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/nwbondlady/NavyBurgundyGrayPillowghan.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/nwbondlady/NavyBurgundyGrayPillowghan2.jpg

Hi Mitzi, I am not sure this is what you need. Do you need the photos too or just the url?

Thank you very much,

:hug

That's perfect, Fran! I'll upload those to my photobucket and get them on the CAL gallery hopefully this weekend, but if not - then on Monday!

I love the results - the colors are very cheerful! You did an awesome job!

Fran - I've posted your pillowghan photos to the CAL gallery - it looks fantastic!

Chatty - The pineapple square looks perfect! You've done a fantastic job and I'm glad you were able to get the size worked out.

I received a new Pillowghan leaflet in the mail today from eBay. I wouldn't recommend this particular seller as I owed another $3.01 in postage when it finally arrived....but anyways - it's Leisure Arts #2485 "Pillowghans to Crochet" and it looks great! The 4 patterns inside are done in 15 1/2" squares and are put together 3 squares wide by 4 squares long. So, you only need one additional square to make the pillow, for a total of 13 squares. I'm thinking I'll try one of these for my next Pillowghan project as I won't be needing to make the baby one for my sister now.

Happy Easter to Everyone! I hope you all enjoy the weekend!

Thanks Pickles, the L hook was going too big so I decided to just add the other rnd and it worked out.

I knew I could figure something out, now to finish it ;)

Mitzi, thanks for the info and also for the dish on the Ebay score! I will have to keep my eyes open for that one! I am going to try to make pillowghans for my family this year (the one I'm making is for dsis's bf).

Hugs and I loved seeing everyone's finishes!! :clap

• 2 weeks later...

I should clarify, that's not blue, it's Amethyst from RH Super Saver. For some odd reason my digicam shows it as blue.

Thank you, I like the way it's turning out.

Does anyone have any really nice looking "solid" square patterns for use for this?? the ones I found were pretty but too "lacy" to be very practical.

Ideas anyone? TIA!

Archived