JoAnns up for auction

siminsc

A friend told me yesterday that her mother told her she saw a notice about JoAnns being on the auction block. If no one buys it, it's closing. If there are things you want at the store, maybe you should go ahead and get them.

We moved to SC three years ago and even at that time, there were no JoAnns here anymore. There used to be though. The only fabric store we have down here is Hancock Fabrics.

You have got to be kidding!!!! I hope that doesn't happen. We have a Michael's and a Hancock's close by but Joann's carries most of the stuff I use. I really hope they don't close. But then again, think of all the money I'll save by not shopping there. :blush

Better check on your Hancock's stores!!! The company is reorganizing under Chapter 11 (I think), and is closing some stores. Ours in Columbus, MS is closing. Sad.....really sad..... now the only places to buy yarn here is WalMart and the LYS. Although I really, really like the LYS a bunch!!!! :blush

Thanks for the article, but I do not think they will close any time soon. I have seen a downsizing of the stores though, recently there was a regular JoAnns that closed in Clearwater, but they have about 3 superstores in the general Tampa/St. Pete area. I too love to shop there, and they have different yarns that no one else carries. They seem very busy to me and store that I live near is very clean and orderly.

A lot of companies sell without consumers really knowing about it, doesn't mean that they will close! I remember though..when Michaels was called Leewards! So maybe a name change, but even that is a long shot. Crafts is where the money is!! ;) Not so much sewing though...unfortunately. I love to sew, but have been finding clothes cheaper to buy than to make, and that's the trend now. Scrapbooking, beading and needlecrafts has a big following now. Hancocks was mostly fabric, not so much yarn and other crafts.

I don't know if you guys remember a store called Piece Goods Shop that changed their name to Mae's...but they closed too. I remember how sad I was, because besides Wal Mart, that was the only place to get fabric in VA for a while. Now certain Wal Marts are doing away with the fabric and crafts section, for whatever reason they feel they have to now. Some companies all of the sudden go under due to shady business with the higher ups too...so it all really depends!

• 1 month later...

The more locations that craft stores open, the more they seem to go bankrupt. How sad and tragic that the only place to buy will be through e-commerce.

I found this article when I did a search for info.

http://www.otwa.com/community/showthread.php?p=474708

This link is no longer active. For anyone who read it, do you mind telling us what it said? I'm not asking for a word for word thing so it won't interfer with copyrights. Just curious what you remember was the basis of the article.

I've actually been wondering about JoAnn's for a year or two now. The one I go to has basically looked ill stocked since their remodel a while back. I hate going there, but I did go in twice recently for things I can't buy other places. A week or so ago when they had a big sale was the first time in at least a year I can honestly say the store has looked like it was ready for business.

It's getting scary. First Hancock's, looks like our Wal-mart is going to cut it's craft dept., and if the rumors about Jo-Ann's is true....all that will be left near me will be Hobby Lobby and A.C. Moore.

Oh no !! we had a hanncock store to go.

I surely hope that JoAnn's doesn't go too.

I buy most all my material there

And Wall mart too.

Oh dear what is one to do :eek

pinkroses

It seems to me that Joann's is downsizing too. I remember recently that I went in for some doll making supplies and they told me that they eliminated that department. They just can't go under and disappear.....I won't let them!

All of us crafters will have to make a protest against their closing.

It was actually reported in May here.

The JoAnns near me sucks, so it won't be a great loss to me, but I know a lot of you guys depend on it near you. Usually, in the case of a business sale, the stores don't close, but reorganize based on strongest product lines. With the Chapter 11 of Hancocks, the most likely outcome is the focus on fabric and seasonal merchandise (which has typically been their strong suit). I doubt yarn will make the cut, but you never know.

hmm, a brand new Joann's superstore just opened 20 minutes away from my house after the one 5 minutes away from me closed. It is fully stocked with a wide selection of yarn whenever I go there (which is quite often because I work practically right across the highway from the store. Maybe they are just trying to focus on the areas where there are the most crafters to maximize business?

• 2 weeks later...

I found this article from June that I thought some of you might like to read regarding the net sales and losses and the possibility of selling the company.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/business-2/118068699393520.xml&coll=2

Based on what I saw in our local JoAnn's on Monday night, it is obvious some major changes were going on at least with that one store. My dad who never ventures in there asked me what was wrong. It wasn't the "end of the seaon" type empty, but the we're so empty something is majorly wrong type. It's a superstore, so it's not that it would be closing to upgrade or anything like that.

I teach at JoAnns and I don't think they are having any trouble at all. They have closed some older smaller locations and rebuilt new huge JoAnn super Stores in better locations nearby. So, if your store is looking like it will close up it might be replaced by something better really soon. All of the Hancocks in my town have closed. JoAnns is taking advantage of that and expanding in those locations with their new super store. Which is fantastic!!! :yay

Archived