How big is your stash?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not big enough! :lol Seriously, I have a pretty good sized stash, several tubs of yarn, three big bags full, some one-pound skeins, and a huge old copper boiler full of thread and cotton yarn. I had whittled the pile down, but got a lot recently at good sales - a ton at our closing Hancock fabrics. One big bag was all yarn of my grandma's, who recently passed away - I'm the only one who could use it, so I got it. Grandma sure liked some odd colors... :lol

OH GEEZ! and I thought I was bad! Hee hee! Now you have me curious. There is now way I can count it all ( but am going to look)...shhh....don't really want to cuz then I might have to confess to Hubby! Ignorance is bliss!

OK....I gave up at 429 because I have a huge trunk that is full of a mish mas of stuff that was donated to us that I need to pull what I can use and put the rest of the stuff in lots on ebay to raise my daughter's money. There's wool yarns, cones of threads & yarns and the stuff you use with the white plastic shapes....the plastic and the yarns and the lsit goes on!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much! I feel so much better now! I only have 6 skeins of yarn, 1 20 pounder of white thread, 1 9 pounder of ecru, 5 2 pounders of a bulkly soft white thick thread, 1 7 pounder red, 1 2 pounder pink, 2 2.7 green, 1 3 pounder of mauve, 2 4 pounder light pink, 2 eyelash white, 12 black skeins reflective fingering yarn, 3 1000 thread white, and about 20 balls of smaller sizes of assorted colors of threads. oh, I forgot, and a whole box of embroidery thread in all colors that I am going to experiment with!

and I thought I had a lot of stuff. What I have been doing is pick a project then buy the yarn. I just haven't made anything yet! LOL

Oh, good, my stash isn't so bad.

I've got a bunch purchased for a bedspread--about 50 skeins. I've decided not to make it, though, so I've got a nice pile of greens, blues, and browns--I might make it into smaller afghans.

I have a measly four skeins of sport weight for the next baby afghan; about ten skeins of Homespun in various colors (I was thinking "ponchos" but now I'm not sure...I made a shrug I wound up hating, although I loved the yarn itself); another five WW--two green, three yellow--intended for a knitting project I've bailed out on. (Knitting hurts my hands too much.) And a couple of little skeins of bulky chenille yarn.

And I'm rapidly crocheting my way through the 22 skeins of Red Heart super-saver I needed for the his-and-hers afghans I'm making. (Nearly finished!)

Where it gets embarrassing is my thread stash. It's all size 10, various manufacturers, lots of colors. I'm going to photograph and catalog it soon (I'm on the waiting list at Ravelry.com), and try to get my books and my thread stash organized. As soon as I finish the his-and-hers afghans, I need to do the baby afghan. Then I'm free of commitments and can doily-crochet to my heart's content.

Betty, tell your boyfriend to take a long leap off a short pier. :P If I am not using money needed for living expenses and necessities I buy whatever I want. If someone tried to tell me what I could or couldn't spend money on it would be a short relationship.

Fortunantly my DH is perfectly okay with that. I have about 250 full skeins of various types of yarn stored neatly in 90 gal plastic tubs. Along as I have it neat and organized both me an hubby are happy.

Isn't it amazing how you never have quite the right color or type of yarn for a project no matter how much you have. :devil

I never took the time to count....ooodles, not 1000, but oh that would be a lot of fun. Where do you store yours Laurastar0962 with 1000. I have a few rubbermaid bins..my DH reminds me and then if we are at a yardsale/flea market he points out yarn...gotta love him!

Right now, it's remarkably small. A year ago I sorted through all my yarn (nine huge boxes), saved the stuff I thought I could use and donated the rest to a nursing home and a baby-stuff charity group.

But it's slowly building back up...

I have so many I don't even want to begin to count!! I have been crocheting

for over thirty years and really have accumulated so much!! Those stupid

coupons I get each week from AC Moore, JoAnns and Michaels always beg

me to use them and I accomodate!! My husband is going to kill me yet!!

I love reading about everyone's stash. I do buy some yarn, but most of mine was given to me by late MIL. Her mother & sister owned a quilt shop. It was wonderful. Lots of quilts, the best selection of fabric around, notions and yarn. When they both passed away the shop was closed and I got all the yarn in the shop. I also got a huge plastic bag of yarn and hooks from the sisters personal stash. I've used a lot of it, but still have quite a bit left.

• 5 weeks later...

I just got back from sweden and my grandmother gave me a whole bunch of yarn. I couldn't fit anything else in my suitcase! I brought back about 50lbs of yarns from there, and three days after we got back my mother-in-law came by with two small boxes and a bag with yarns too. So my stash has grown from 6 skeins that I started on and 3 skeins that I hadn't touched yet, to over 50lbs. I am so happy! :D

uhh no clue. i have no desire to count.. but two giant carrier bags and several wal-mart bag full. and i am getting some more here soon enough.. i want more.. and well lets face it I need more.. lol

Well, I had mine all counted and organized, then I bought a couple of skeins here and there and before I knew it. Then I had to get some to do my graphgan. I did use a few along the way and used up a bunch of balls. Then I went to Hobby Lobby. I was trying to decide whether I should get a bunch of the ones that were on sale or a couple of the ones that weren't on sale. The ones on sale were very nice, but the ones that weren't on sale were so yummy and soft. Then dh comes in the store and says "well, how much are they?" I tell him and he says get both kinds. He didn't have to tell me twice. So now my stash has grown and it's all his fault. I love him!:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

One under bed tote, and three plastic shopping bags full. Plus, Hobby Lobby is having a sale!! And my husband says *I* have too much yarn???!!

Margie <:3( )~~~

All my bins are rubbermaid bins 14 gal size I think.

1/2 full bin of cotton yarns

1/2 full bin of blends and sock yarns

1/2 full bin of acrylics and some novelty yarn

1/2 full bin of cotton threads

one large basket with yarns for wips and wims

dear hubby has one 18 gal bin or so full of wool yarns that has some some of wool yarn that I want to make some swatches with for some future projects

I recounted yesterday and since I started this thread a few months ago I'm down approximately 30 skeins. That includes a few recent purchases. So in spite of all the time I spend at the 'ville I've still managed to decrease the number. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Maybe I should go shopping, hmmm!:hook

Lets see... I've got about a dozen skeins I haven't touched yet (a lot of cotton). About 4 or 6 balls of various amounts and size of thread. (I'm trying to do this in my head while I'm at work...) About 2 or 3 dozen skeins of various amounts left from projects... I know all of my stash will fit in one or the Large Ziploc storage bags (you know, the ones with handles...). Actually, right now most of my stash is in the top 3 drawers of a 4 drawer plastic thing.

My stash has grown tremendously over the last year or two, but is still nothing compared to some. I just don't have the money to build it up and I also try very hard not to buy yarn without a specific project in mind.

I got a lot of my stash when my husband's aunt passed away. She owned a quilt shop with everything imaginable for quilting and tons of material. They also had a good selection of yarn. After the big sale my dh's mom asked if I wanted the yarn that was left. I got well over 300 skeins of new yarn from the shop plus hooks and yarn from her personal stash. I've used a lot of it, but I try to keep a pretty good assortment of baby yarn on hand because I live 30 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart (the only store in town that has yarn). I'm 125 miles from the nearest Michael's, Joann's or Hobby Lobby. Since I can't run out and buy yarn I try to keep an assortment so I always have something to work on.

My stash grew by over 120 skeins two months ago when Joanns had a huge clearance sale. I have 4 dresser drawers filled to the top, a small bin under the bed, and about 5 bags completely filled with yarn hiding in the closet as well as various wips around the house. My husband doesn't realize how much I have, but he still brings me home coupons from the newspaper at work since we don't get it anymore....so that to me says he doesn't mind if I buy more, lol.

Archived