What are you making this summer?

My goals to be done by the end of summer:

1 or 2 tanktops for me (I have the cotton, just need to make/find a pattern)

Shrug to go with my dress (need that done by June 16 for a wedding...)

Vest for mom (need to frog and try again with a different pattern)

Shawl for mom for Shawl CAL (need pattern and yarn)

lumberjack blanket for FIL's birthday (need by October 1)

RR for cousin's first baby (need by September 1)

Ok... that's a lot of stuff now that I look at it. Not to mention finding a pattern and doing a blanket for MIL's birthay (also in October). I guess I'll be busy on the plane the next several weeks...

I have been a very bad girl so I have to spend the summer cleaning up all my WIP's. :sigh

Julie Kay is already using the :tryme because we are so out of line and we only started today

but I deserved this as I worked very hard to start more objects than could be finished in 5 generations :rofl

Wow Addey! That's great, and good inspiration too. :hook

:lol

Yes, it is great. I travel on planes tons for work, so I can often get between one and four almost uninterupted hours to work on things. I'll (hopefully) be able to start and finish the shrug on my way to and from Denver this week and next week I've got a trip to Alberta, Canada and some decently long flights then too. I hope to finish the shrug and/or work on my first tank then.

After posting earlier this morning, I ended up creating an Excel workbook to try and figure out how much I had to get done and where things stand and a 'schedule' of sorts. Not that it will last much past this week, but hey, it's worth a shot.

Everyone else's lists sounds great. In reality, some of my 'new' things are just barely started things or UFO's/WIM's that have been floating around waaaaay to long...

To make DH happy... a cover for his computer chair.

Finishing up a ball for a baby (pieces all crocheted, just need to finish assembly. Need to finish before they move across country soon.)

Those are the main things on my plate at the moment. I also make hats for the Ships Project.

Other than that, I don't have a definite plan on what I'll work on over the summer. I just do projects as they come along. :-)

Well, I have this big thing about our local fair and entering for "bragging rights". I have an afghan, pot holders, baby blanket, and slippers done. Still have lots of categories I can enter, so that is my thing right now. I enter things I have in mind for Christmas gifts and give any ribbon won with that gift. Most of my family opens my gift quick to see who got the best ribbon

oooooooh, i dont even want to think about it. i know i should. i have to run around the house with a pen and paper and organize and make lists and yarn lists and buy the yarn and jeez, i'll probably never get it all done by the end of the summer, but will surely try.

I've started a pullover sweater for DH. He has been after me for the longest time to make him a sweater and I haven't been able to find just the right yarn for it. We live in south Texas and we really don't have cold weather in the winter to speak of, so to make something out of a worsted weight yarn would have meant that there would be very few times that he could actually wear it. I found an auction on Ebay for a cotton yarn that's about the size of a #10 crochet string. The auction was for 48 ounces of the stuff, and it was so reasonable ($9.99) and such a pretty color (a very pretty light blue with a very slight sheen to it) that I bought two lots of it because I'm thinking I'll make one for myself as well. DH's will be finished first, of course, since he has been patiently waiting forever for it, and unless I find something else that I like better, I'll make mine whenever. The pattern is my own, I'm making it up as I go along.

I also have plans to make a couple of afghans over the course of the summer so that when the cooler weather does finally get here, we'll have some cozy new throws to sit under to watch television. Except for rare occasions, the coldest it ever really gets here is the high 30s, and that's only at night. Daytime temps are usually from the high 40s to the low 50s, even in the coldest part of winter. But it still feels cold enough at night to want to cozy up under a nice, big throw, so nice big throws I shall make.

I also bought the patterns for the pet furniture that were shown a while back by one of the other posters, and I'm going to be making some kitty couches over the summer as well. And I'm sure that there will be many, MANY wonderful new patterns emerging here at C'ville over the next few months that I will just HAVE to make, so my plate is fairly full for this summer. :)

Elle

I've started a pullover sweater for DH. He has been after me for the longest time to make him a sweater and I haven't been able to find just the right yarn for it. We live in south Texas and we really don't have cold weather in the winter to speak of, so to make something out of a worsted weight yarn would have meant that there would be very few times that he could actually wear it. I found an auction on Ebay for a cotton yarn that's about the size of a #10 crochet string. I'm using two strands of it so that the stitch is not too flimsy and feminine, but it's lightweight enough that he can get a lot of use out of it even though it's a warm climate. The auction was for 48 ounces of the stuff, and it was so reasonable ($9.99) and such a pretty color (a very pretty light blue with a very slight sheen to it) that I bought two lots of it because I'm thinking I'll make one for myself as well. DH's will be finished first, of course, since he has been patiently waiting forever for it, and unless I find something else that I like better, I'll make mine whenever. The pattern is my own, I'm making it up as I go along.

I also have plans to make a couple of afghans over the course of the summer so that when the cooler weather does finally get here, we'll have some cozy new throws to sit under to watch television. Except for rare occasions, the coldest it ever really gets here is the high 30s, and that's only at night. Daytime temps are usually from the high 40s to the low 50s, even in the coldest part of winter. But it still feels cold enough at night to want to cozy up under a nice, big throw, so nice big throws I shall make.

I also bought the patterns for the pet furniture that were shown a while back by one of the other posters, and I'm going to be making some kitty couches over the summer as well. And I'm sure that there will be many, MANY wonderful new patterns emerging here at C'ville over the next few months that I will just HAVE to make, so my plate is fairly full for this summer. :)

Elle

Wow, everyones lists are great!

Darski, you're to funny!

Cherry Picker, that is so sweet! I love it, and such a good gesture too.

VCU fashion, that is the question!

I think I may add a few things I really want to get done this summer, we are so busy in the fall with the boys going back to school, and all the things that go along with it. I do want to make the Angel crinoline lady from Crochet Memories and frame it for my aunt for Christmas. I'll probably start Christmas things too. I think it's neat all the different things we work on. ;)

To make DH happy... a cover for his computer chair.

I absolutely :manyheart love :manyheart this idea. Maybe I can make this work using the Van Gogh method and kill a bunch of birds with one stone. why didn't I think of this when fighting with my current cover. :sigh

I have to make this fer shure. (don't tell Julie or she'll :tryme me and rightly so too :yes )

I have to finish my daffodil afghan for a silent auction. After that, I have one tote and some dishcloths to complete and I want to make a couple more totes. I want to make myself an afghan with Homespun but the bigger those projects get the hotter :sun:fever it is work on them so that may have to wait. I also want to build up a stash of charity squares in different sizes, try Krystal16s latest pattern posted over at original patterns....OH, and a Bernat handicrafter flower power rug. Man, is the summer long enough? :hook

Joyce

I have to finish my daffodil afghan for a silent auction. After that, I have one tote and some dishcloths to complete and I want to make a couple more totes. I want to make myself an afghan with Homespun but the bigger those projects get the hotter :sun:fever it is work on them so that may have to wait. I also want to build up a stash of charity squares in different sizes, try Krystal16s latest pattern posted over at original patterns....OH, and a Bernat handicrafter flower power rug. Man, is the summer long enough? :hook

Joyce

Is there a new one? Or is it the Daisy square one? I looked but couldn't find a different one. I do love her daisy pattern one. It is really cute.

Wow...you're all going to be very busy! I'm planning to start small. I want to finsih the lumberjack flannelghan that I started this weekend. If I can get that done I'll be thrilled...so will my daughter because it is for her.

Anything which is not heavy and hot!!! :hot

Actually, I've got a couple of things going. I have a long-term thread project which I work on, then temporarily set aside for smaller things. Perhaps a few cotton purses, and at the moment I'm working on a string bag for vegetables when I shop.

Like Carla said: "Anything which is not heavy and hot!!!"

And since I am mostly a blanket crocheter, that might be tough.

I am thinking of taking up thread crochet...small, lightweight, and cool. I tried it once, about 30 years ago, and got so frustrated that I quit. (Went looking through my old attic stash the other day and it was still there...unfinished.)

If any of you threaders have an idea for an easy beginner's project that won't make me go crazy or blind.. give a holler! This sounds like a great summer project.

Thanks to all for your input.

Like Carla said: "Anything which is not heavy and hot!!!"

And since I am mostly a blanket crocheter, that might be tough.

I am thinking of taking up thread crochet...small, lightweight, and cool. I tried it once, about 30 years ago, and got so frustrated that I quit. (Went looking through my old attic stash the other day and it was still there...unfinished.)

If any of you threaders have an idea for an easy beginner's project that won't make me go crazy or blind.. give a holler! This sounds like a great summer project.

Thanks to all for your input.

Bookmarks are always a good place to start, b/c they are small, and don't take to much time, and you get a sence of accomplishment. ( :D I like that! I think that's why I mostly made bookmarks when I first started with thread)

Archived