Not moving the hook

A former English student of mine (and now a friend) is taking crochet lessons from me. She's had two, but was cheerfully refusing to do anything past the chain stitch. I finally talked her into trying single crochet, and the next time we meet, she's supposed to have 50 sc to show me.

I've noticed that one of the things she does is grip the hook in her fist, and hold it still. Then she picks at the loops and moves them where she wants to them to go. In fact, she does not move the hook at all. She simply grips it, and then moves the yarn with her fingers. It almost looks like she's playing the dulcimer. :)

She's had a ton of trouble understanding how to do the stitches, and she tend to do them correctly with this improvised method she's devised. I'm all for people being able to crochet any way that is comfortable for them and I don't want to discourage her from crocheting, but I'm worried that this improvised method might cause trouble for her down the line.

What do you think?

~ Joy

That seems like a really inefficient way to crochet..... are you sure she's not a closet lefty? :lol Maybe her tension is way too tight and she is having trouble pulling through the loops??? :think

She apparently has a teenaged (bossy) neice who crochets, and who told her she MUST learn to crochet on an M hook with worsted yarn. An M hook! I didn't even OWN an M until I bought a hook pack this week which happened to include an M. But away she's going, crocheting by gripping this M hook and picking at the loops with her left hand's fingers.

It is very ineffecient. I'm wondering, though, if I should let her go with it for a few weeks so that she can learn how the stitches work, and then get her to start manipulating the hook instead of the yarn? Or if I let her go, if it will be too difficult for her to learn a more standard method?

She's really happy just doing the chain stitch. I asked her what project she would like to start on - as a motivator, you know - and she practically laughed in my face. She just keeps doing the chain stitch for about 50 stitches, and then frogs it and starts over, happy as a lark. We actually cut off some of her yarn because it was frayed from being frogged so many times.

So I'm wondering, if she's happy, should I just let her do her own thing?

~ Joy

Funny she does it that way cause so does my 10 yr old maybe he showed her how first. lol .. It works for him tho and he wont listen to me . I have no advise as i have the same problem with my 10 yr old just never thought anyone but him does it that way. Although i've felt like doing that myself when the yarn wont cooperate. lol. Best of luck with teaching her. I'm sure she will move on to doing it the correct way. It's good she doesnt just give up so im sure theres hope.

I think it would be better to show her a more efficient way, but let her do it her way until she understands the stitches better. Just my opinion though. I think she would enjoy it more if she could make the stitches faster (and more evenly).

Jean

I currently have the same problem as I learn to purl. I think by watching someone do it correctly and by practicing, eventually I'll be more comfortable with doing it correctly. Probably the same holds true for your student.

Do you know that when I do crochetknit or tunisian crochet I hold the hook still and then place the yarn on the hook with my other hand. When I do regular crochet I don't do it that way. For me its a nice break for my right hand. Whatever works for someone else seems good to me.

As a teacher, I'd instruct her in the generally accepted correct way to crochet. That way, you've done your job. After that, it's up to her to accept or reject that teaching.

As a teacher, I'd instruct her in the generally accepted correct way to crochet. That way, you've done your job. After that, it's up to her to accept or reject that teaching.

What she said! There's a limit to what you can make just with chains :) It seems like she's afraid to step out of her safety zone, but if she really wants to crochet, the way she does it is not going to cut it! Can you imagine making an afghan that way!

Joan

I kind of hold my hook like your student. I use my index finger of my right hand to do the motions that moving my hook would do. I am not lightening fast, but I have a good speed. Also, I have made many things.

I may be a closet leftie (since I play sports and such as a leftie yet write rightey) but it feels weird to hold the hook in my left hand.

The only other person who I have ever watched crochet is my mother, and she moves the hook a lot! I get confused when I watch her.

I think that if your student understands the method of the stitches (and later how to read a pattern) the way she holds her hook shouldn't matter.

what about standing behind her holding the hook with her and showing her that way? Then she would feel the hooks movements and maybe understand a little better that it is a whole hand thing.

but since she has a relative that crochets possibly she feels insufficient to this younger person?

but since she has a relative that crochets possibly she feels insufficient to this younger person?

No, I don't think she feels insufficient. She's very fond of all her nieces and nephews (I think she has 10?) and the extended family all lives close to one another. I think she's just trying to be obliging.

I'm getting such conflicting advice. I really don't know what to do.

~ Joy

Ha! I don't know what I want to do, which is why I asked for advice.

What I want is for her to a) feel comfortable, b) be eventually proficient, and c) have fun.

I think what I'm going to do is let her do it her way this next session, but by the end of the session make her start moving the hook, and ask her to practice it that way. I give her "homework" and she's very good about practicing. I don't want to frustrate her.

If your teaching her how to crochet, then she should be following your lead. Gently remind her that while her neice may like using a size M hook, that the neice is not teaching her , you are. If she wants to use the M hook when you aren't teaching her that's fine, but for the "classes" she needs to use the hook you tell her to. Suggest that she learn your method and after she has become proficient with it, then she can do it her neices way or the way you are teaching her.

Well, would you believe it? After all this advice back and forth, I went into our most recent lesson with an air of trepiditation, only to discover she had dropped the hook-grip on her own and was holding the hook more normally!

She even managed to conquer the single crochet stitch, which had eluded her for three weeks. She's got about half-way through a dishcloth, and I think it'll be done by the time we meet next week.

Half of a dishcloth in single crochet may not sound like much, but it's a huge advance for her. I'm so proud!

~ Joy

Joy - that's awesome!!! I'm so glad to hear it turned out well! It sounds like things are starting to click for her. Half a sc dishcloth is a very big deal!!! It's her 1st project YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a cousin that was stuck on the chain stitch for quite a while, and her mom kept trying to show her how to do other stitches and she just could not get it...just had a mental block about it. Until I worked with her...and what I did was work the chain stitch and then add a row or two of sc and then showed her the sc, dc, etc...and she ran with it...

I think I would ask this person what it is that she wants to get out of crocheting, 'cause quite frankly, if she's happy just doing the chain stitch as she's doing it and doesn't have any motivation to do anything else, I think she's wasting your time...

I personally don't get why she's wanting to hold the hook like she is and pulling the stitches onto the hook like she is and with an "M" hook no less, but for right now, I'd either talk to her about her crocheting goals or just let her be until she gets bored with what she's doing and wants to do more...

Okay...I see I'm late with my post...I'm glad she moved on to the sc...and half a dish cloth is a big deal...that's great...

FWIW, I've had people in the past flippantly say to me, "You have to teach me how to sew or how to crochet..." and I've tried and failed, mainly because they weren't serious, or they lacked confidence from the get go...I have far more success with those who are truly motivated to learn. And sometimes, people just take a good long while to grasp the concept of whatever they are wanting to learn...which is kind of what I think was happening with your student...good news was that she was happy crocheting even if for a good long while she was doing it with a weird grip, a hugh hook and only doing chain stitches...at least she kept doing that and didn't give up...

I have tried to teach someone to crochet and no matter what I did, the person just couldn't "get" it...however, she learned to knit in a heart beat and within a very short time was teaching her students at school how to knit...

It takes all kinds...I'm glad things worked out.

Yay! I'm so glad that she's moved up and away from the chain!!'

I'm so glad you have her on her way! But I just wanted to chime in and say that, in the day and age of total reliance on typing and computers, that sometimes a gentle reminder that putting so much tension and stress on the smaller muscles and ligaments in the forearm, wrist, and hands can lead to major issues down the road can be a great motivator. Issues like carpal tunnel, tendonitis, etc. I teach piano lessons (my specialty is rehabbing injuries and starting kids off on a good path), and when my students protest that their way works better for them, if it is compromising their ability to relax, putting way too much tension on their smaller muscles, or looks like it will cause issues further down the road with overuse injuries...that's when I put my foot down.

But it really sounds like your friend is on the right path! Good job sticking it out--it can be really frustrating when it doesn't seem like they're listening to you!

Archived