Van Gogh's Closet

JulieKay

I have a tendency to do that too. Does that make us extroverts? And yet in a crowd I tend to be shy and quiet. That's more like an introvert. Go figure.:think Thanks for sharing that site with us Julie. It was neat!:yay

A male friend of ours saw the two RRs and said that he thought the predominantly dark one looked more masculine than the light one. And yet the dark one is the one that will suit my mom best. :manyheart

We leave on vacation tomorrow somewhere between 10:00 and noon I think.:think

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started my shawl. I got the Bernat Baby Co-ordinate. I'm going to do a pastel rainbow - 2 rows color, 2 rows blend in the Iris stitch( my all time fav and with the bigger hook it has a lot of holes). I figure with my K 1/2 hook the size is perfect for 2 strands and it'll be about 6 feet long and just over 2 feet wide.

I'm starting at the bottom but here's my color scheme (BBC has the white thread running thru it)

med pink

dark yellow (for orange)

light yellow

mint green

med blue

lilac.

I have the 1st row 1/2 way done and I did a double base chain on the bottom.

I can't wait to see how it comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the very first trips I did here in Europe was up to Amsterdam and to the Van Gogh museum. His color blending and brush strokes are amazing! Lots of inspiration can be found in his work and the work of the other Impressionist/Post-Impressionist artists......Monet, Renoir, Gauguin, Cezanne, Manet, Degas, Toulouse-Lautrec.....

Ok here is my van gogh pillow. Dark to light one side and light to dark the other side. I have a flat pillow inside it so that the cats can get comfortable on it. Coco my burmese had to try it out for size.

th_P1020279.jpgth_P1020280.jpgth_P1020281.jpg

Kimberley I just looked at your crazy dishcloth pattern and its beautiful. Now I have to ask a stupid question. These are called dishcloths does that mean you actually use them to wash your dishes with.

Really cute, Wendy!! I made a pillow for my son's Norwegian....somehing or other...cat and she climbed on it while I was visiting - it's a great compliment from what can be at times a finiky critter!!:cheer:clap

Cara

I'm so very sorry you lost both your parents so close together .

Were they both ill and elderly ? My husband's grandparents did the same thing, but they passed away one day apart. It was so strange. It was almost like the one didn't want to live without the other one. They were both very ill, though .

I keep telling my husband that if I die first, he will die soon after because he'll miss me so much, but something tells me he'll want to live a good long time after me so he FINALLY gets to see what QUIET sounds like .

It'll be a whole new experience for him .

Linda- I think a lot of people are like you in front of crowds, but not me, the more the merrier .

Have a great vacation ! Hope you get a suntan . :)

Wendy- your kitty pillow is very cute !

Kimberly- wow, you are lucky to live in a place where you can see all that kind of stuff.

The closest we have in our town to artwork is when the teenagers get hold of a can of spray paint and paint GO on the STOP sign .

Rose- it sounds like you have all your colors and a good idea of how you want your project to be. It sounds very pretty . Can you show us a link or photo of the stitch you will be using ? I'm not familiar with it .

Cara

Were they both ill and elderly ? My husband's grandparents did the same thing, but they passed away one day apart. It was so strange. It was almost like the one didn't want to live without the other one. They were both very ill, though .

I keep telling my husband that if I die first, he will die soon after because he'll miss me so much, but something tells me he'll want to live a good long time after me so he FINALLY gets to see what QUIET sounds like .

I think they wanted to be together in the next life:manyheart

Julie, my hubby would appreciate the quiet, too...I think I've been making his head spin lately:2spin :2spin :2spin :lol :lol :lol

Hey girls, I only have one more row to finish then I will be done. I am just curious tho since I have only done one RR before, what do you do on the last row to finish? The other one I did I put a round of HDC's at the end to finish it off. But with this one I am no so sure.

AND

Since I am doing 3 rows of each combination, should my edging row be one of my final three rows? Two normal rr dcs and then one edging of the same color in hdc? Does that even make sense?

Cara

Yes, Daddy was 79 and had had CHF for years. But Mama was only 62 and developed cancer and died relatively quick. I think he just gave up after, poor soul :( But they never went anywhere else without the other so why not that last trip? :manyheart

Wendy - Love that pillow! Looks like Coco does, too :manyheart

Linda - Have a great trip and we'll still be here doing what we do best :blah :blah :blah .....you thought I was gonna say "crochet" didn't you? :wink

I made this for practice with yarn from my stash. Now my daughter wants one with rainbow colors!

th_VanGoghRoundRipple.jpg

I absolutely love this. Just Fab!!!!

I wish I could understand whatever it is that I am missing about these. Y'all just toss them off like yesterday's coffee cup and I can't even start one right... :sigh

I absolutely love this. Just Fab!!!!

I wish I could understand whatever it is that I am missing about these. Y'all just toss them off like yesterday's coffee cup and I can't even start one right... :sigh

Darski, you might be too close to tell it's turning out right. I wasn't pleased with mine at first, yet my family kept looking at it and telling me it's the best thing I have ever done. Now I KNOW it's not the best thing, but they were going gaga over it.

Sometimes we are too close to our work to see the good in it?

~*~

Can anyone answer my question about about my edging?

I think I need to use more colours to go from the dark to the light. I tried to go from Very Dark Purple to Flat White with only one intervening colour.

If I ran through some blues after the purple and into some lighter colours... hmmnn. Now I need a Special Dispensation to be able to try one of these...

:tryme I got turned down for my cherry wood plank ... it hardly seems worth the risk for some old pine board :rofl

Krystal

Yep, that's Mr Rogers. Won't you be my neighbor ? :lol

Cara- well, it sounds like you have the right idea about your parents. It's sad when people have been together for so long then one passes away. The other acts like they are missing a piece of themselves, which I guess they are .

Patti - Beautiful ripple !

I Love everybody's projects! :clap I love the rectangular pillows!! Did I hear someone say Norwegian Skogkatt? :eek I love those cats! I had one that was wild (wild as in liked us but nothing else). We got her the first year we lived in Norway, and she was always bringing me Lemming, (sp). Those little hamster type critters that get really mad and stand up and "argue" with what ever is chasing them in the forest. (they are the most eaten of all critters by housecats in Norway) She was gray, and fast, and I named her "yoko oh, no!" because of her squeaky singing voice! She was so so sweet. We had her for nine years, and she was the best cat EVER. :yes She looked more like a chartreaux cat, but she was an honest to goodness Norsk skog katt!

I am also loving the round ripples everybody is doing! WOW. :cheer I like the dark green to light green, and I really like the colorful "starburst" type effect from the rainbow of colors. I love the pastel colors too. You know what I don't think you can go wrong with this sort of like shaded effect you get with this pattern. I know I will be using this for a long time now.. what a great pattern idea, many thanks! Wow I didn't mean to rant and rave here, but if I can bring myself to get over my blushy at my terrible attempt.. hahahaha.. I will post a picture of my many tries. Maybe beginner crocheters won't feel so shy about posting their pics when they see a so called experienced crocheter (that would be me) try and do a simple (?) round ripple!?? I think I have been having a series of blonde/early senior/goof moments because it took me FOREVER to get this "straight". I guess you will all see what I mean when I get my pics up.. my cam is charging. Oh me oh my, just don't be holding anything hot :lol because in your laughter you may burn yourself... Just a warning.

Thimble

Wow I can't believe it took me a whole week to post my pic! What a week though. Field trips etc. Whew...........

Well, here it is. Two pics. One in bright light and one indoors. The colors are kinka inbetween both pics if ya know what I mean? Oh and it measures 18 inches.

100_1702.jpg

100_1703.jpg

Archived