Recommendations--Fabric scissors?

I'm starting some crochet-with-fabric projects and am looking for some specific recommendations for scissors that will cut fabric well. Some of the fabric-specific scissors are expensive ($20+) but I'm not sure if they are worth it? What about just getting a new pair of high-quality regular scissors? Any suggestions?

Thanks

I use Ginghers. They cut very nicely and can be sharpened--although I've never actually had mine sharpened!

Rotary cutters are also nice, although mine got a nick in the blade and then would never completely cut--like a can opener that leaves part of the lid attached.

To use a rotary you will also want a cutting board and some big clear rulers for lining up the blade on the fabric.

The nice thing about using rotaries is you don't have to mark the fabric--you can just line it up on the board--which is marked with a grid--and use the ruler to measure. When I use scissors I usually a have to mark the cut lines.

I think it is always worth it to get good scissors for cutting fabric and then take good care of them and never use them for anything but fabric. I think it is like Ketchup - if you are going to buy the stuff, buy Heinze... it's the only way to go. :wlol

A good type to look for is the spring action scissors as they sure save your hands from wear and tear.

here's a link to a PDF that might be helpful.

sneak in here and hit cont V...

http://www.sewing.org/files/guidelin...ors_shears.pdf

if you are going to do a lot of cutting, a "better" pair of scissors is worth it. I would advise trying them out in a store... I know the plastic bubble casing may make this hard, so you may have to buy it and be prepared to return it. What I am getting out is that some scissors have a heft or hand grip that is less comfortable than others. The size of your hands is a factor. I have seen wonderfully sharp scissors that I could not use a lot because they were too heavy. So with scissors, try them and invest in a good quality... especially if you will be doing a lot of cutting.

I have a rotary cutter as well and nothing beats that for cutting strips ... much prefer that.

Oh and the hardest lesson I learned about scissors, regardless of quality is to tie a string, ribbon, thread on the handle and then ONLY use them to cut fabric. And hide them from other members of the family who may need to cut cardboard and plastic. LOL

A rotary cutter is the thing that looks like a pizza cutter, right? But dont you need to do that on a cutting mat?

Has anyone used this?

From the info I've found online, it seems that it is best to cut fabric on the bias. I was hoping that I could snip an end and rip the rest but apparently that ain't the way to do it!:worried

Rotary cutters are wonderful tools. I had one (and a tinnny rotary mat) when I had my sewing machine in college.

If you go the scissor route, do what my mom does: all the family knows that scissors with the red handles are hers, and hers alone, for fabric purposes.

Shearfully ~ Joy

I love my Gingher's (I'm a serious sewer) but for strips I think a rotary cutter and mat is the easiest way to go. (There are even some great rulers with slots every 1/4 or 1/2 inch apart that are great for cutting without moving the ruler. I think they are made by June Tailor and are very popular for fleece.)

Use a 40%-off coupon to get a good pair of fabric scissors at Joann's or Michael's. And, if you have a man or a child in the house, keep those good scissors out of sight at all times!!!! Put a pair of dollar scissors out in the open for them to cut other things with.

Gotta chime in and agree with Gingher. I bought mine on sale at JoAnn's. They were still 34 bucks but worth every dime! I've never regretted it. Just remember, you must announce that, on pain of death no one but you may use your scissors :lol

Archived