Circular Needles

fuzzy ferret

I read in another post here about using circular needles as a newbie.

I must say that I LOVE IT!!!! I am so much better at knitting and control my tension that I EVER was with the straight needles! I was just about to give up but now I'm glad I tried the circular needles first!!!

Although I've still got some dropped stitches and wonky loose sides, I'm doing a lot better in the tension department.

...and I've also notice that I throw when doing the knit stitch and do the continental method when I purl....:think Anyone else do this or am I just the odd ball???

Here's a pic of a practice piece i've bee doing on the circ's. switching and doing the knit and purl and something else to get the little ridge in the middle.

Hpim0164.jpg

I think the reason I was having so many problems was because the straight needles were too long for me and I couldn't get a good balance with them in my hand.

at any rate, I hope to be knitting something soon!:cheer

Krystal

That looks great! You might find that the sides will straighten as your tension between purl and knit rows gets more even, at least that's what I found. Your tension is looking pretty good to me though :D

I love the circulars too, wish I'd bought only circulars to knit on, but I have a lot of straights as well, and found a good way to control them was to have the right needle anchored between my arm and body as I worked, that way it didn't move as much and I could control it better.

I 'throw' both stitches, but I really did find purling very awkward at first, a lot of people do. Whatever method you choose, if it works for you then that's all that matters.

Do you mean that you are picking your purls vs. throwing them? That's combined or uncrossed or Russian knitting. Continental only means that you hold the yarn in your left hand rather than your right, regardless of whether you throw or pick. Like Chain said, whatever works for you! Just remember that your purls sit differently on your needle compared to your knit stitches, and that can affect the stitches in the next row, depending on the pattern.

My friend S has found she's just the opposite to you. She prefers straights after learning on circulars. Just like I told her, who cares? Whatever is comfortable and works for you is the right method!

BTW, what are you making? Inquiring minds want to know!

Patty

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

:cheer Good girl, Circulars are the only way to go.:cheer

There is no reason why anyone should ever knit on straight needles, ever.

Learning on circulars is the same as learning on straights, especially if you have never knitted before.

I have done all of my knitting on Ciircular needles for many years and I find, when I have to help someone with their knitting on straight needles, I keep dropping one needle which cannot happen on circulars.

I must admit I get funny looks from people when they see me knitting because they wonder how you can work with them without going in a circle.

Keep up the good work.

You are doing well.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

• 1 month later...

I would love to agree with all of you, but am very upset at the moment. I've been working on a capelet for two weeks now and was doing really well. I can't make any mistakes since I have no idea how to pick up dropped stitches. I placed all my markers correctly. Was doing everything right. Wouldn't you know it, my circular hook broke in the middle of a round and I dropped so many stitches, I was ready to cry. I had to pull a bunch of rounds out to get to a point where I was able to reasonably pick up what I think are all the stitches, but I don't know where I am in the pattern. Also, it's impossible to place my markers exactly where they are supposed to be. This is all due to the plastic breaking away on the hook. I am going to try to finish it anyway, even it doesn't work out exactly right,but I don't care for these hooks.

Aww, poor baby! How frustrating! I've never heard of the plastic cord breaking before, although a friend of mine complained that the juncture between the cord and the needle was rough and would catch whatever she was working on with the circulars she was using (sorry, don't know what brand). Guess what you use to pick up dropped stiches? Your handy, dandy crochet hook! I'll bet knittinghelp.com has a video on how to pick up stitches, and if not, then try some books at your library (the SnB book has line drawings of how to do pick up stitches). Good luck! :hug Patty

CrochetFan, that really sucks. I've been there. It gets easier the longer you have been knitting, to figure out where in a pattern you are if you have to frog, but you might want to consider using a lifeline in the meantime. Every so many rows (10 might be a good number) just take a blunt yarn needle threaded with a different color yarn than the one you are knitting with and thread it through all of the stitches on the needle. Yes, it takes time for larger projects, but it is well worth it. That way, if you have to frog, this helps you count how many rows you are taking out. Also, it holds that particular row so you can be sure to get all of the stitches back on the needle without dropping any. And it is probably a good idea to leave all of those lifelines in until you finish the project. You never know when you will discover a mistake that you didn't catch waaaayyy back.

I have never had a circular needle come apart before, but I know it can happen. As for the yarn catching on the join, I've had that happen. I try to look at the join before I buy new needles to see if the join looks smooth or not. I thought the Boye interchangeable needle set that I coveted for so many years and finally got a couple of Christmases ago would be so wonderful, but the joins are a bit troublesome so I tend to use other needles more often. I still use the interchangeables, but not as often.

When I was a young woman I had never seen bamboo needles in any store. My choices were plastic or metal. I hated plastic because they warped and bent. So I used metal. I always thought I was an inferior knitter because I had to prop the left needle in the dent of my belly button (so I always had to use the longer, heavier needles). It was such an epiphany when I discovered bamboo needles! I could actually hold them aloft and I felt like a "real" knitter. And when I eventually discovered circular needles (oh, why did it take me so long?) I was even more ecstatic!

Now, I still do use metal needles occasionally, but only dpns and circulars, and I still sometimes use bamboo straights, but I cherish my circulars.

I'm going to buy some circulars this evening. I can't wait to see how they work out for me. :D

I am doing continental knitting and I was also throwing when knitting but I think I broke myself of that now, lol. It seems to go so much faster to - well, pick the yarn, as Patty said.

I can see what my next knitting lesson from my friend is going to have to be, lol. Knitting in the round on circulars. I only seem to be able to do it flat on them, so far. Ah well.

Did find a decent looking guide to look over in the meantime --

http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/circular.html

I just purchased the Options set from Knit Picks and I really like them.

All I can tell you is a Lifeline is your friend! I kept trying to knit a lacey dishcloth pattern and kept making mistakes and since it as so new to me it was too difficult to see what I did wrong. So I kept frogging back to the beginning. Ugh! I put a lifeline in on my purl rows. So if I made a mistake on the next pattern row I could easily fro back to the base row and start over.

The best thing about the knit picks options set is there is a hole to tighten the needles on. I can thread the hole with thin yarn or crochet cotton and pull it through as I knit.

I decided I wanted to knit something for my daughter with the gorgeous Cottontots yarn I was recently raok'd. Problem is almost everything I like needs circular needles!! I ask, as I have only a few needles and no local place to buy anything (or money for that matter to buy elsewhere)... is there any way to not need those needles?

I just ordered a set of bamboo circulars from a seller on Ebay. The seller is in Asia so the shipping cost is $13 but the needles were only 99 cents, heh. I had bought a couple of pairs of individual straight needles to learn with but still never seem to have the size I need for a pattern I want to work on, and I didn't want to spend the bucks a nice set costs yet (even with one of those Hobby Lobby 40% coupons, or when they sell implements half price sometimes), because I don't know much I like knitting yet. LOL. I figured it was worth this cost to have one whole set of needles size 0 - 15 to work with. I don't know what they'll be like yet, though. I'll let ya'll know when they arrive!

how can i work on a circular needles??? i have only one size and i don`t know how to work on it :think

once i wanted to make a hat on circular needles and it was desaster that i`ve hated knitting over 3 months loooooool

If all you have are straights, I think you will need to look for a pattern that uses straights, figure out how to make a front and back based on that pattern, or get dowels and make dpns then knit in the round that way?

how can i work on a circular needles??? i have only one size and i don`t know how to work on it :think

once i wanted to make a hat on circular needles and it was disaster that i`ve hated knitting over 3 months loooooool

I think most hats work from the bottom up so you start with circs using that are bit smaller than the bottom of the hat. When the circ become to big you switch to dpns OR you can use two circs OR use the magic loop method. The magic loop method requires you use an extra large circ needle.

thanks samantha

actully i don`t know how to use a circular needles it`s so frustraiting

i saw your HP scarf i love it but i can`t do it cause i hate the needles

who knows maybe someday i`ll love them and learn how to work with them

Mermaiden, I don't mean to put a damper on your purchase. I hope you got good circulars from your overseas purchase. But last year I, too, bought a bunch of circulars from overseas and was very disappointed. They came with a bit of very fine sandpaper (which was actually a good thing, because some of them were a bit rough). But the think I hate most about them is that they are not connected with a sturdy plastic cord, but rather a plastic tube that is not as durable. And the stitches just do not slide on the tubes as easily as on my other circulars. I really wish I hadn't spent the money.

If this http://cgi.ebay.com/13-New-bamboo-circular-knitting-needle-US-size-0-11-NR_W0QQitemZ290123847735QQihZ019QQcategoryZ71216QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem is the set you bought, please don't judge all circulars by them. It really does pay to spend a few more dollars and get the "real" thing. You can get some really good deals online. I try to stick with Clover brand. I often save my 40% off coupons from Joann's for this purpose. And http://www.createforless.com/ always has good prices.

Nope, those aren't the ones. They're even more homemade looking. :lol But, I'm not expecting a whole lot, so we shall see. :lol At least I'll have a needle in a good variety of sizes for cheap - and yeah, you get what you pay for, that's for sure. I have gotten a pretty good grip on how to knit now on some metal needles, so in a couple weeks when they get here, we shall see....

So, I learned how to knit on circulars last night. I have 1 set of size 16" ones but I can't make the book scarf I wanted to make with them - I'd have to use double pointed, I now know. Oh well. They'll still be handy for other things I am sure. I guess one benefit of circulars (when not making a project in the round) is that you can let your work go on down the circle instead of scrunching it up all on a long needle?

• 4 weeks later...

I love my circular set that I got from knitpics. My wrists use to get sore using the long straight needles and some of the store bought circlular's cable is rigid (dip in hot water). With circular needles, you can take projects anywhere and don't have to worry if you are going to poke someone with your needles. If you knit alot or plan too, buy a good set and you can always replace any parts or add to the set. Hey my DH always buys the best tools, my tools are worth it too! LOL!

I love my circular set that I got from knitpics. My wrists use to get sore using the long straight needles and some of the store bought circlular's cable is rigid (dip in hot water). With circular needles, you can take projects anywhere and don't have to worry if you are going to poke someone with your needles. If you knit alot or plan too, buy a good set and you can always replace any parts or add to the set. Hey my DH always buys the best tools, my tools are worth it too! LOL!

My hubby always tells me to spend the money and get what I want. There's no sense suffering with an inferior product (if you can help it). Some things I don't mind buying cheap...but I do like the nice smooth feel of bamboo :manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

All of you have given such good info. in reference to hooks. I was the one that originally had my circular hooks break. I wasn't going to quit but I was so upset that I took two weeks off. I bought just regular, Boye circular needles and somehow got it together. Knitting seems to be so much more time consuming that I didn't want to quit altogether. The capelet came out okay considering this is my second real project done in knitting. The tips given in this forum has helped me considerably. Here are pictures of it:

101_1497-copy.jpg

101_1505-copy.jpg

Archived