how. oh please how!!!

you have to use wool yarn to felt something. I don't have a picture, but what you basically do is, loosely crochet an item (make sure it is bigger than you want it. It will shrink in the felting process) Then throw it in the washer on a short cycle with soap and let it shrink. pull it out, if it's how you like it, the great! If you want it smaller, throw it back in. after you take it out, block the item into desired shape. Thats the basic idea.

you need to use 100% wool too i think. otherwise those with blends won't felt right, and use HOT water to shrink it, if i am wrong someone tell me as i am allergic to wool but think thats how to do it:hug:hug:hug

Thanks guys, this is awsome(I meen girls) are there any boys on cville, haven't heard of any myself but I wouldn't be suprised. thanks, Mallory:-)

I know of three guys at least on here: Drew the Crochet Dude, Tampa Guy, and Jimbo.

Linda Y

I know of three guys at least on here: Drew the Crochet Dude, Tampa Guy, and Jimbo.

Linda Y

The 4th would be Ken Jones. Ken & Drew are both published crochet artist and create beautiful items, and well-known in the crochet world.

Random note on which yarns will work: non-superwash (superwash yarns have been treated to avoid felting) animally fibers will work. You can felt wool, mohair, cashmere (but why?), etc. Blends will work, but it has to have a pretty high content of the wooly fiber vs. the acrylic/cotton/whatever non-feltable fiber you have. A blend usually doesn't shrink as much as 100% animal fiber, I believe, so you should always, always, always test out a swatch to see how much it shrinks, especially if it needs to turn out a certain size (like for slippers).

A guy named Scott, I think, posted some nice filet/doily work in one of the show-and-tell forums yesterday or the day before.

On felting: I am DYING to get my hands on some Patons Soy Wool Stripes (SWS) yarn--70% wool, 30% soy--I've heard it felts really well and MAN, it is gorgeous. But I may have to wait till JoAnns has its day-after-Thanksgiving sale where everything is 40% off before I can afford to buy it. :D

Archived