Crochet is so in this season!

I went to old navy yesterday and was siked to see how much crochet is in this season. :clap Check out what they have on there website!

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=20408&pid=484534

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=20408&pid=473276

And this looks to me perhaps single stitch??? I want to make this....

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=12818&pid=453209

Those are really cute! Some of the things I see that are crocheted....you can buy for less than it would cost (in time/materials) to make it

Yeah, that always causes me to sigh when I see these lovely crocheted items priced for far less than even the yarn would cost:eek let alone the time... I picture some women in third-world countries earning 27 cents a day to make these things -- 'cause there is no "crochet machine" -- and it really ticks me off.

But it is great to see how universally accepted crochet is becoming! There was a lady at my gym yesterday that came in wearing this gorgeous crocheted sweater (didn't make it, bought it at a store) but I was trying to 'inconspicuously' make mental notes of the basic stitch patterns and then when I got home I started sketching it out:lol

ooo i LOVE that crocheted cami! and i'm impressed that they got the fact that it was crocheted right - so many places call it knit. i wonder if i could duplicate that... that'd look real cute in cream cotton.. hmmm...

My 14yr old DD loves light sweaters that keep her arms covered. I told her I could make her a bunch of them in a variety of colours and styles. Her answer was that crochet is not in style. The next Saturday we went for our girl's day out, she dragged me into some of the stores she likes and there was a bunch of crocheted items. Her reply to me pointing them out to her and telling her I could make them was "Mom, they're not in style for me". Thankfully, I have two other DDs that love everything I make them.

Those crocheted items are cute but we know we can make them of a better quality :devil

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I got my colour association newsletter this week and one thing I noticed in the fashion section was that the clothing was a great deal more modest than it has been.

I did a quick search for the phrase "the end of s---wear" and got several pages on this topic. it seems that retailers were getting very ticked because they could not sell that stuff to the 9-5 crowd and they lost a lot of goodwill (and income) because of the attempt to move s---wear into little girls and toddler ranges.

Why do I mention this? Well, I think one of the reasons crochet/knit has been popular is that it complemented the bare-ly there look. In some cases it was used to provide more coverage and in other cases it was definitely a case of less is not more.

I'm just wondering if crochet will work with the new direction that fashion is taking? But then... most fashions are hottest (I use that term advisedly :wlol ) just before they become passe`.

I do think that the beauty of crochet has had a chance to shine and I would guess that people will want to keep that bit of something special that they got from little nothing items that made an outfit.

I have been giving this some consideration for a bit... hence my first novel on the topic <my bad> :wlol

I've been happy to discover stylish crochet clothing on the racks at major department stores like Macy's and Bloomingdale's. Not just crochet embellished garments, but a lot of tops made entirely of crochet, usually from thread or very fine yarn. Just wish I could find patterns like that!

Crochet has crossed over into couture. One crochet sweater left over from winter was tagged for over $400. Wild.

Those are really cute! Some of the things I see that are crocheted....you can buy for less than it would cost (in time/materials) to make it

VERY true. that's what holds me back from making some things! you know, once you do the math...!

There's an Urban Outfitters store literally next door to my apartment and although their clothes are way overpriced, I like to just look around sometimes. They will usually have some completely crocheted tops for $120 to $200. While I don't like seeing crochet garments on sale for less than the materials cost, including the cost of time, I could probably crochet the tops for much less than they sell them for!

I was in WalMart yesterday with my youngest daughter (age 4) and she was squealing over the crocheted sunhats and purses. I admit, I took out a scrap of paper from my pocket and wrote some of the patterns down. :)

I want to know where they get all their colors of nylon cord, though! My stores just have black and white.

My 14yr old DD loves light sweaters that keep her arms covered. I told her I could make her a bunch of them in a variety of colours and styles. Her answer was that crochet is not in style. The next Saturday we went for our girl's day out, she dragged me into some of the stores she likes and there was a bunch of crocheted items. Her reply to me pointing them out to her and telling her I could make them was "Mom, they're not in style for me". Thankfully, I have two other DDs that love everything I make them.

Those crocheted items are cute but we know we can make them of a better quality :devil

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Hi, I have family that does not appreciate what I make be it crochet, knit or sew. I am the oldest of 6, 3 brothers and 2 sisters. Even when I was married to my ex-husband, none of his female siblings or female cousins, or even my cousins, no one is crafty but me:( . When I do give homemade things as gifts I get that look like, "Oh you made it". These last two Christmas's, I have made all of my grandchildren, even stepgrandchildren(total of 14) afghans for their beds or to wrap around their little bodies in the winter time when they stay up to watch the t.v. or play their video games. The grandchildren were happy with their blankets, because if they're boy's, I try to make the blankets in the colors of whatever sports team they like, and girls are easy, because they usually like pink or purple. This last Xmas, I made the two younger grandson's Camouflage afghans(I used RH camouflage), when I showed these to my oldest daughter, she got a smile and said she liked it and she would like one. I felt happy then. So I know what to make her this coming xmas:yes Also, when you make things and you give as a gift, they know you cared enough about them to make it:manyheart That's why I like going to the yarn section at the craft stores, because you can always strike up a conversation with somebody having to do with crocheting or knitting:yay

Yes I totally agree with crochet garments being so in this season. I don't know how many of you watch QVC but Modern soul and DuJour and some others have very nice crochet tops.

Du Jour http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p214/mdour1234/crochet2.jpg

Modern Soul http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p214/mdour1234/crochet1.jpg

Archived