Plastic Bag CAL

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll definitely pop over to your website. I got some great tips for working with plarn from your site before. I really enjoy seeing your work. I don't work from patterns often because I try and sell the items I make and often patterns are copyrighted. I've run across several "Pattern creators" who allow me to sell the products I've made, but I am very diligent to only sell products with this stipulation on the copyright. Keep your fingers crossed for me. My first "real" sale is coming up soon. I'm anxious to see which items people find interesting. I've had a lot of people look and ask questions about my plarn bags. Maybe I'll have some vhs tape bags by then also.

I think my tapes are all black mylar and I haven't noticed any flaking yet. Hopefully that won't be an issue. Thanks for the help.

Ooo, Cindy, I really like it.

Over the next couple of days, I think I'm going to finally get to make a plarn ball for myself. I'm half-tempted to bid on the plarn balls I gave to AmyS for the auction, just so I don't have to do the work all over again! :haha

What kind of ribbon works well with the VHS tape, Cindy? Just regular ribbon yarn?

~ Joy

Ooo, Cindy, I really like it.

Over the next couple of days, I think I'm going to finally get to make a plarn ball for myself. I'm half-tempted to bid on the plarn balls I gave to AmyS for the auction, just so I don't have to do the work all over again! :haha

What kind of ribbon works well with the VHS tape, Cindy? Just regular ribbon yarn?

~ Joy

Thanks for all the kind comments. I used Lion Brand ribbon yarn in my last vcr bag project. I'm sending you a PM with details.

Hi! Just found this thread. My mother-in-law is in her 80's and doesn't have a computer - but she and her friends have been making these bags for a few years now. I think she is very talented, so I thought I'd show off one of her creations -she'll get a kick out of me telling her I posted this picture on a website. I have this bag loaded with snacks to take to the lake this weekend - they sure do come in handy! She uses every kind of plastic bag she gets - even the ones the newspaper comes in! She has lots of patience!!

thumb.jpg

Mimi mia,

I'm sorry, but my MIL does not have a pattern - she does all single crochet, she says "around and around". She just made me another one -she's on a roll - but ask for the pattern and she gives you an "around and around" answer!

Sorry, I can't help!

Joni

artemis I love the bag you made your son!! :clap

jpschabell your mother made a fabulous bag...I love the metal rings! :heart

Could you both lead us to pattern links for the bags???

Thanks! :D

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/round%20plastic%20bag%20tote.html

is where I got my pattern from. It looks smallish for a market bag when it's done, but the last one I made for my son stretched to the ground after a few months. It could carry a small child! I told him to try this one for a time and then we could adjust the size the next time.

My store (Copps/Pick 'n Save) has switched from blue bags to white...so I used up my supply of the blue ones on this. I'll be looking to do a white one with a colored stripe next time. Our Festive Foods store has pretty yellow bags, but we don't shop there often. I could collect enough for a stripe, but not a whole bag.

I have made a couple of bags last year with these grocery bags. I used to get tan ones with red and blue or black printing, at my local Pathmark store. They were slighly thinner than some bags, so they were a little easier on the hands. I cut the rings in 1" increments and used a G hook. I lined it and it looks like a straw purse and the printing makes it look like specks of color. You wouldn't know it was made of plastic. I used the same pattern with white and red/blue printing and a J hook. This came out wider and I made it a little longer, and this will be my crochet projects carry-all tote. I lined this one as well. My daughter knitted one for her carryall (she's waiting for me to line it.)

I love Crochet Dad's bags. The brown trim makes it look a little like leather. Peggytoes' kitty purse is soooo cute. I don't have a digital camera to photograph my bags. I guess I'll have to impose on my daughter to do that. Also, I don't know how to post it but she probably does.

I recently saw a lady selling her recycled bags on Etsy for $30. to $80.

• 2 weeks later...

***bump***

I've been lurking on this crochet-along, and I think the things you all have made are really cool! It's a great way to recycle!

I've started collecting some plastic for a project, but I won't be able to start very soon...toooo many other things in the works!

Has anybody made anything else to show us? :yarn

Cindy, that's awesome! Thanks for the pattern link! I really like your choice of yarn - what kind of plastic did you use?

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I used brown plastic bags from my local Safeway store.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making plarn today for hours. My bags were really stacking up.

I want to make a tote, but I haven't decided what pattern yet. I also want to make a plastic bag dispenser.

I will let you know when I decide :D

I am speechless! This takes recycling to a whole new level. I have a gazillion plastic bags. You have no idea how you all are inspiring me. I'm going to go take an inventory of how many bags are stashed between the wall and the fridge, and see what kind of plarn ball I can create tonight. The wheels are turning, LOL!:cheer

I am speechless! This takes recycling to a whole new level. I have a gazillion plastic bags. You have no idea how you all are inspiring me. I'm going to go take an inventory of how many bags are stashed between the wall and the fridge, and see what kind of plarn ball I can create tonight. The wheels are turning, LOL!:cheer

Go girl go! If you need some pattern ideas check out my link to free patterns. We're here to help if you have any ?'s. :hook

Go girl go! If you need some pattern ideas check out my link to free patterns. We're here to help if you have any ?'s. :hook

Thanks, RecycleCindy! I got the tote pattern from your site. Your work is lovely!

I separated all my plastic bags into color categories, and made balls of plarn with each. I have 2 colors of tan, white and a bit of yellow (from Dollar General).

Last night while watching the Cubs play 10 innings, I begun crocheting using your tote pattern, and worked up 10-11 rows. The bag will be tan and white. It has the look and feel of straw, kind of cool so far.

I had about 60 or so bags, and looks like I will need 20-30 more to complete it. I'm going to petition my friends on myspace to donate more to me, LOL. Either that or go grocery shopping and ask the bag boy to put each item in a separate bag :) kind of defeats the purpose, eh?

For now, my right thumb is almost completely numb, so it's a relief to take a break for a day or two. I will post pics when done!

:D

Archived