crochet hook letter markers

I saw the markers that ladybugdreams received from her FGM that were made on safety pins to mark projects to remind you what size hook you were using. So, how do you get beads on the side of the safety pin that doesn't open up??? :think

I saw those, too, and loved the idea, but hadn't noticed that the beads are on the other side of the pins! That's very observant of you. I'd guess that maybe she pulled apart the end just enough to get the beads around the spiral and then used pliers to get it back to normal.

Note to letter marker maker: If you're reading this, could you please let us know how you did it? :think Thanks!

I haven't seen the markers you were referring to but I do know that you can unwind most safety pins, add beads/charms/whatever, then rewind the pin back the way it was. Some you can do by hand, others you need a needle-nose pliers.

I didn't do that post, but I have made some of these markers which you're referring to. The safety pins which were used for them were coiless, like these, instead of just regular everyday ol' safety pins. I got mine at Hobby Lobby.

I havn't seen them but have made pins with beads.

To make them you use a small jewelers flat head screwdriver and a pry the pinched ends of the head apart. the head will slip off. then you can put what ever beads you want on and slip the head back on and pinch it closed with small needle nose pliers. :D The super big ones are much easier to do than the small ones.

You get coiless pins from walmart for 96 cents, some letter and rochelle beads from Michaels. Bend the pin open enough to move 2 beads, a letter and 2 more beads to the top side of the pin. (Make sure the letter is facing the right way. Then close the safety pin. The bend in the pin will keep the beads on the top side of the pin. I made the markers originally to match the beads to the color coded Addi hooks (since they have no size markings on them. It helps when you have several projects laying around and don't remember what hook you used.

It kinda looked like wyndfire just bent the head pin around the coil thingy. It seems that might be easier than taking the safety pin apart. Just a thought.:D

I was searching for those safety pins (yes so I can make some stitch markers here :) amongst other things), and one of you listed a place where I can buy them. Craft shops seem few and far between in Northern Ontario, so I really appreciate the link (as much as I appreciate the markers - and they go really well too :)

Cheers! Cynthia

You get coiless pins from walmart for 96 cents, some letter and rochelle beads from Michaels.

Or you can get the pins from Hobby Lobby for 99 cents if they're not on sale, and get the beads on the aisle next to it. :) Doesn't really matter where you get them.

so... how do you keep the beads on the pin without the coil? do you put a dab of superglue at the end?

I sometimes think I was born under Murphy's Law. if a bead can fall off it will fall off :wlol

Darski

Bend the pin open enough to move 2 beads, a letter and 2 more beads to the top side of the pin near the head. (Make sure the letter is facing the right way.) Then close the safety pin. When you close the pin - the bend is back and keeps the beads on the top.

Yes, indeed this is a great informative post! I have been fortunate enough to recieve a few stitch markers as RAOK's and from swaps, however, I would still like to ATTEMPT this, ATTEMPT being the key word here..lol..because I would actually have to put down my crocheting to work on it, and I just am NOT sure I can do that...I need HELP hu?:think

Yes, indeed this is a great informative post! I have been fortunate enough to recieve a few stitch markers as RAOK's and from swaps, however, I would still like to ATTEMPT this, ATTEMPT being the key word here..lol..because I would actually have to put down my crocheting to work on it, and I just am NOT sure I can do that...I need HELP hu?:think

Good point Jo, we can't do both at the same time with only two hands. aw shucks. :wlol

and you don't need help, you need more yarn... yah that's the ticket.

Archived