Crochet Journal

OK do any of you keep a journal? I have thought that I need to start one but havent yet. Any ideas on how to start? is there a book already out there that I can just fill in the blanks?

I am not sure if this is considered a "journal" but I have a 8.5 x 11 spiral notebook and I created a page for each item that I have crocheted. I include the pattern, the hook size, type of yarn, how much yarn I used, who I gave it to and how much I spent on the yarn. I also scotch tape a piece of the yarn that I used.

OK, well I did that when I first started making scarves and having updated it in a while, but I keep meaning to!!! Especially for the special projects that I complete.

I'm actually working on one of these for a swap that I'm doing. I plan to make myself one as well. Once it's all together, I want to post it on my website or blog for download in PDF form, so if you bear with me, I may be able to help you get started. :)

My journal is a WIP in a bag in the craft room. I saw in a magazine (I'll find it if anyone is interested) to use the open mesh scarf and weave ribbon-type yarn thru it and then glue it to the cover of a scrapbook. I used an expensive multi-colored type ribbon for the weaving, and my friend commented that it was "too nice" to just use for a book cover. I've had the yarn for a couple of years now and haven't used it for anything yet. This way I'll have it and can look at it and pet it and keep it. As soon as I finish it, of course....:blush

Terry

I sort of have 1. It came w/ another craft related comp program. and its called "organized expressions.... a notebook and diary". It's through LNS software solutions. It allows me (if/when I remember to do it, lol) to put the date started, the date finished, who it was for, what the project is, pattern/book/magazine pattern came from, yarn used, weight of yarn, cost of project, needle size, and notes on it. NOW, it IS called "knits" but works well for crochet also. Then after you fill in the info, you click add, and it gives you a list underneath that has all the info in it.

It also lets you print it out.

I really need to get better about doing that info stuff, but i'd rather spend the time crocheting. :D

Sandy

I have been doing that for yrs. I always keep track of all the blankets I make. I write the colors, pattern, when I start/finish, width/length, how much yarn

I use, the cost of yarn used, and who I gave it too, oh and most important

take pic.s of the blankets.

jaye

I havn't started an actual journal for my crochet yet, but someday!! About all I have is a little notebook that I write the start and end dates of my projects. Most projects other than wearables I have taken pictures of. I usually write on the pattern itself which hook I ended up using. Recently, I've started to weigh the yarn I use so I can write on the pattern how much was actually used as well.

I just started to keep a journal about a month ago. In it I list the project on the day started and finished, yarn or thread used along with hook size, and who I gifted it too. I also made a promise to myself to update my blog at least every other day......I kinda sorta maybe use that as my photo journal instead of attaching photos inside the journal.

I started making notes in a spiral notebook so I could duplicate my work. I note the yarn used, hook and or loom used, attach a piece of the yarn and also attach yarn labels. I also add the pattern or do a rough write of my pattern and whatever notes I think I may need.

I use 3x5 cards for my personal patterns which i leep the yarn, hook size date started how long it took, who i made it for. I found a little 3x5 plastic card holder that hols like 100 cards so i use that. I also have a binder where i put the projects and patterns i would like to make. if i can print it i do and put it in the binder if i can't print it i write down the website so i can go back to it.

I don't keep a journal but I take pictures of the finished items with the dates on when I finished them and the names of people that I give them to.

I also have a folder of pictures of things that I've made that I haven't given away...and keep them seperate from my other things...I'm in the process of doing the same for what doilies my grandmother made...I can't date them because they were made sometime in the 1940s (guessing) but I do want to keep them seperate from mine...some of them I'm going to frame and give to my daughter and granddaughter.

Wow thanks for all the good thoughts. I haven't done one yet and believe it or not haven't even taken pics of my stuff till lately :(. But I think I will do something. I will definitely start one now that could always be moved into an easier one. And I WILL (I PROMISE MYSELF) takes pics of EVERYTHING I finish before giving it away:cheer

Below is a sample page from my journal, when I print it, it fills a page and I use a fancy font. I add a picture and yarn sample at the bottom, I also scan the pattern cover and put it next to the pattern name (the pictures didn't copy and paste). I have the pages on my computer and also print them and keep them in page protectors in a 3 ring binder. I have a similar format for my sewing journal also.

Project: Sweater Shawl for me

Occasion: I like the pattern

Date Started: October 2006

Date Completed: January 29, 2007

Pattern Publisher: Gourmet Crochet

Pattern Name: Lisette Sweater Shawl

Size: XS-Med

Yarn Brand: Red Heart

Yarn Name: Sport

Color: 0012 Black

Dye Lot: 9970 606 1

Care Instructions: Machine wash warm, gentle cycle. Tumble dry low.

Yarn Sample: Picture:

I also made a form in word that has a page for personal patterns, a page for internet patterns (if able to print out) and just a page with lines(for those 2 or 3 page patterns). You would just have to run copies on a machine or print hte page you want through word. Send me a PM with your email address or someone tell me how to do a word file attachment somewhere.

because it is in word you can change my name to yours and change it to whatever you want. but it's another idea.

Archived