Is there a stitch or pattern that you just can't make?

I can't seem to make anything that has you crochet in the round- not joining at the end of each row, just crochet in a spiral. It really frustrates me that I can't seem to do this b/c there are patterns I would love to make but can't.

What part of the spiral/round don't you get? Do you not like doing it or just need help with it?

There are a couple things that I've tried to do but just can't. There was a baby afghan on freepatterns.com that I wanted to make, but the pattern didn't make sense to me! I was so confused and ripped it out multiple times before giving up. I'd like to try it again, but unsure if I'd get it now.

I'll see if I can find a link to it...it really was pretty!

I have to use stitch markers to crochet in the round weather it is join or no join. I put a marker in the first st of the new row & it keeps me straight.

I am a intermediate crocheter but there has been several patterns that I just couldn't do or understand the instructions, even after multiple tries. It just depends how well the pattern is written ie: easy to understand. I have completed complicated patterns with easy to comprehend instructions but could not complete an easy pattern with hard to understand instructions.

I can't make a square. I am so frustrated with it, it is either curly or turns into a bowl. I am trying to make some for the alzheimers blanket and I cannot get a square no matter what pattern I make!

Laura

Afghan Stitch. I got the idea, but I don't think I'm doing it right. Also I need to do a Honeycomb afghan stitch. Hope my friend that I'm seeing today can help me out.

I can't figure out crotat,,,,I have read the books, I have watched the video, I just can't get the hang of it......I would love to learn to Tat, but have never found anyone, around me, that knew how, and I am a hands on learner, if I can see someone do it, I can learn, usually...but this has got me stooped..

luv 2 crochet - you could always check out cd coaster patterns or crochet in the round and then finish off with shorter st's until you're down to a sl st. What helps me is after I get about 10 st's down I'll go back and tug on the 1st st to make it stand upright when I'm using dc. for sc's - i'm right there with you.

crochetbycharlene - try the round ripple. even if you only make a trivet. it wasn't until i tried it that ripples made sense to me.

texas red head - my bullions come out looking all sorts of wonky - i just gave up on them

Nanapat - the easiest way I've ever heard a fpdc described is - all you're doing is a dc but instead of going thru the loops you stick your hook behind and around the st below and just finish off your dc.

It was here:

http://www.freepatterns.com/list.html?cat_id=297

"PINK STRIPES SLENDOR BABY AFGHAN"

I was sooo going to try this pattern too but like you I got to reading the pattern and something just doesn't click with the cross stitches but I think this video would help: http://www.nexstitch.com/v_back_cross_stitch.html

I need help understanding with the rounds I guess. I use a safety pin to mark the beginning stitch but I think its wrong. Do you mark the first stitch of the round? I don't know, usually everytime I try it, usually for making baby hats, the hats never fold down right to make the hat shape, they look like rippled plates.

I can't make a square. I am so frustrated with it, it is either curly or turns into a bowl. I am trying to make some for the alzheimers blanket and I cannot get a square no matter what pattern I make!

Laura

Have you tried this pattern for a basic granny square?

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/101/f101101basicgranny.shtml

Still haven't done a decent looking roll / bullion stitch. Still haven't given it a try with the round hook I bought, though.

Have you tried this pattern for a basic granny square?

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/101/f101101basicgranny.shtml

I have tried granny squares, actually thats what I learned on, and they just REFUSE to come out square. I swear, I am square retarded. So I thought I would try other square patterns and they still wont turn out square. So I am probably just going to do "squares" by chaining the required number to get the number of inches across and working up. BTW, I can make strips in the mile a minute style, and have done a few that way and they were fine. I had a little trouble with the star afghan that was popular a few years ago, but with creative adding a stitch and taking a stitch away here and there it did end up flat. my circles turn out fine.

Just one of those things I guess!

Laura

What about blocking it after your done? Wash the piece and dry it a little but still damp and then lay it out flat to dry completely.

Are you maybe crocheting to tight or to loose? :think

Try as I may I just can't get the hang of reverse single crochet. I have looked at the video clips and I had someone try to teach me. I still can't get it. I tend to modify patterns that call for this stitch.

Archived