Where do you get your yarn?

cdgayer

I always get my yarn (Red Heart Super Saver) at Walmart. Then today I was in a town 40 miles away and decided to go to Hobby Lobby...WOW!!:eek I've been crocheting for 3 decades, and I never knew there was that much variety in yarns. Row after row of sport, worsted, baby, chenille, bulky, you name it. And any color you ever wanted was there, too.

I guess I need to get out more:D

Guest PaisleyAngel

I get most of my yarn from AC Moore and Walmart. I also go into Michaels, but their selection isn't as big, or JoAnns, but their prices are too high and their selection also is small. I've gone into pricey yarn stores, but I just can't afford them. :( I wish we had a Hobby Lobby near us, I hear they are amazing!!!

AC Moore, Michaels and, of course, Ebay! I get my Lion Brand catalog every month and drool over the yarn, then try to find something comparable. Oh yes, I also try to hit yard sales and thrift shops. Best yarn so far has been through EBay though.

Usually Walmart. My choices here are Walmart and JoAnn's, and walmart is cheaper and has a better selection (though JoAnn's has a better selection of Wintuk).

When hubby and I make a trip to Columbus (60 miles away, but it's the closest real city to here), I like to stop at Hobby Lobby - they have such an amazing selection. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a bunch of Red Heart in Woodsy that they had marked down to $1.09 a skein when I was there last - what was I thinking?!?

I've started looking into ebay after hearing good things from people on this board but haven't bought any from there yet.

I generally go to Hobby Lobby...Austin is pretty strange, I guess, for having so many of the stores in the area (I can think of three off the top of my head). There are also plenty of Michael's, JoAnn's, and WalMarts around here, so I can generally find whatever yarn I'm looking for at one of them. I haven't ventured out to any of the specialty yarn shops yet, but I have tracked down at least two in the area that I want to check out for some yarn for a knitting project.

Either Michaels or one of the yarn shops near me. There is one called Dottys Yarns and they have the most amazing selection and the prices arent to bad. I love :)h ebay too!!! The catalogs are nice but I need to see and touch the yarn. If I have worked w/the yarn and know it then I can order from the catalogs. Pattern works has the greatest stuff!:bounce :bounce But not cheap. I also love Smileys. www.smileysyarns.com/ They are about an hour from me but worth the trip. The internet sales are the best!!! Walmart is great too!! But sadly no Hobby Lobby near me:(

But I would find yarn no matter what! I just :)h :)h :)h buying new yarn, its like finding buried treasure when I see yarn!:bounce:bounce

kelly v

I LOVE HOBBY LOBBY!!! That is where I get all my yarn, mostly. They have a great selection and everytime I go there seems to be more new yarn. They also have the best sales! That is why I have so much yarn, I CANNOT pass up a yarn sale! :) There are 4 in Austin, 1 in Round Rock and 1 in Georgetown. That makes 6 around me! YIPPEE!!! They seem to be branching out more so maybe one day everyone will have a Hobby Lobby! :)

Heather,

I haunt the Round Rock/Georgetown Hobby Lobby stores. I'm really surprised that the Austin area has so many of them, when there don't seem to be that many around the country!

Good to see another Austinite in the mix!

Wherever I can find it :D!

Besides Rag Shop, Michael's and Walmart I stop in at Thrift shops (some great sweater finds can be frogged); flea markets, garage sales, etc.

Hubby once found a huge box of yarn he brought home to me at a hardware store! The owner was selling it as his wife was cleaning out her stash...so you never know when the next skeins will appear.:))

I get my yarn wherever I see it either at a great sale or clearance price or if I see new colors to add to my very obscenely large collection. I buy at Wal-mart, Joanns, Michaels (usually when it's on sale at those last two stores). I have also found yarn at Big Lots (but that is a hit or miss kind of store) and I buy online at times through a couple of different websites (not ebay though). Sometimes you find yarn in the least expected places. We don't have a Hobby Lobby or Rag Shop where I live but very shortly an AC Moore will be opening up about 3-4 miles from my house. Can't wait to check out that store. I've found yarn in the discount stores (as well as great leaflets at 3 for 99 cents, stuff that I have seen in Michaels and Joanns at full price). Yes, I added those to the other obscenely large collection I have.

LI Roe

I buy yarn at Wal-Mart, Michael's, and Meijer's, unfortunately i don't have a AC Moore or Hobby Lobby by me. :( Lately I've also been frequenting two small local yarn shops that have all those nice, expensive specialty yarns :cloud9 and I have three more scoped out for when i get more money

Guest calliope1779

I live in a small town, so my yarn comes from our one store--Wal Mart. (however, I work there, so I do get 10% off, so it's not expensive at all). Sometimes I drive to Boise and have bought some yarn at Michaels. I know there are some smaller craft stores around but I haven't tried any of them. I have a feeling they will be expensive. I think eBay will soon be a new resort for me.. I know what a great selection I've seen on there! I used to live in Colorado and we had a Hobby Lobby... so I know what I'm missing out on ! :mad

Walmart and Michaels. I wish Michaels was a little easier to get to it's very congested:th not far traffic is just bad. Walmart is a lot easier to get to but they don't always have a great selection. Oh well that's life:shrug

:turkey

Guest zoezzoo

mostly eBay, I sell a few things to have my 'guilt-free' yarn money

Smiley's has nice yarn

We have a new Hobby Lobby, it is huge! Lots of yarn, but I went there just after the grand opening, and the yarn bins were just about empty.

Also have an AC Moore's about 20 miles, but I don't do well in crowds, so haven't been there yet - have heard they put a lot of yarn on clearance, so I've just got to go soon!

WalMart

zoezzoo

Archived