Magic Ball Bag

fiddleyarn

the pics look fine to me....

That's a great bag.....the magic ball has always been a little "scary" to me. Some day I need to just dive in and give it a shot! I like how it looks in a purse instead of a big afghan or something.

>Are you re-sizing in photobucket?

Yep, and I thought I did it as the instructions said. Next time I'll see if I can do it right :-)

Magic ball is fun. But as Robin said, not too great for something flat like an afghan. It works well for things done in the round, like hats, potholders, pillow covers. My bag is made by going around the starting chain so all the knots are on the back side. It might be interesting to have longer yarn tails on the right side and embellish them with beads. Hmmm, maybe next time!

Hi there, that looks really good! The picture of it inside out with all the knots showing actually looks cool aswell. I can imagine some "groovy chick" wearing it. :) ace

I've done this before, combining scrap/leftover yarns to make something that is. But what I usually make out of the scraps are potholders (made by joing two pieces together with a round of sc), when you join together the two sides (ws facing each other) you can hide the knots that where made when joining yarns together.

I think your bag is great. I am slowly working on a magic ball. Didn't know for sure what I was going to do with it at first. But after seeign your bag, I think that is what I will be making also. :)

>At the risk of sounding really dumb, I do not know the term " Magic Ball". >Somebody educate me!

>

I'm not sure who coined the term Magic Ball, but you can find several sites by googling magic ball yarn. One pattern is called the inch yarn vest. I think it's knitted, but it could be crocheted . It's really just a ball of yarn made by tieing pieces of yarn together. They can be from a few inches to a few yards in length. The possiblilities are many. Use shades of one color. Use different textures. Use a mix of colors. I've been thinking of making a bag using longish sections of black and tossing in shorter peices of bright colors. It's really fun to see how it turns out.

LOVELY! That is an excellent pattern for scraps:yes! I'd even buy yarn in lots of different colors to make it:lol ! Thanks for sharing it with us:hug

Your purse is beautiful! I love all the colors you used in it, and the style of the purse is so nice.

I have five "Magic Balls" here and another on my ball winder, and I've been looking for a small project to do with them. I may have to try a tote bag now after seeing yours!

Candy

I have just made my own "magic ball" of yarn last night from all my scraps, and I have started to make a large granny square scrapghan, you know.... the one that looks like one big rectangular granny square......it is really a fun project! I love seeing what colors come out next to each other! I know that I can not finish it yet, but it will be an on going project as I get more scraps!:yarn

This is very cool! I did a search but only came up with swaps, not actual details. :no So, you just make the ball up before you crochet or you tie on new yarn as you crochet? Also, how would it come out where the tails are always on the same side if they are random lengths? Can you tell I need instructions? :lol

[quote name=So, you just make the ball up before you crochet or you tie on new yarn as you crochet? Also, how would it come out where the tails are always on the same side if they are random lengths? Can you tell I need instructions? :lol[/quote]

I did tie scraps together first, but it can be done by just grabbing the next piece of yarn. Mine was mostly pieces leftover from my stained glass window afghan. Pieces not long enough to do a row. When you crochet in the round, the knots end up on the back side. If you work back and forth the knots end up on both sides, which isn't necessarily a problem.

Have you ever made a magic square potholder? My bag is made exactly the same except longer and not sewn up on the diagonal. Here's how: Chain 41 stitches, or the width you want your bag. Single crochet in the second chain from the hook and in each chain to the end. Now works SCs down the opposite side of the starting chain. Then just keep gooing around and around until it's as tall as you want it.

If you have more questions, just ask,

Archived