Ebay prices

Rosesandtea

:ebay

I don't understand why, when several mail order places, and stores like Walmart, sell yarn at a certain price, would anyone want to pay over a dollar more per skein for the same yarn. Sometimes way more than a dollar, way more.

I understand paying higher prices for vintage/discontinued stuff, but not the regular everyday still-produced yarn.

I've seen some lots go for higher than all the skeins in the lot would go regular retail. :ohdear I'm a math dummy but I sit there with pen and paper and work out what I would pay, maximum, for the yarn (it had better be cheaper than Craftsetc.com for example or similar on-line store) and sometimes the bid is already higher than I'd pay - and I see it's going higher.:eek2

Why? I thought ebay was for getting bargains!

Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware). I pray you all will be forgiving of my little rant.

I see the same things and wonder too Karen. Even being over here and not having much to choose from, I'm still a bargain hunter. I guess it depends on how badly you want the yarn and whether you can get it near you or not? I dunno. I'm still not willing to pay more than I can get it from other places. I will sit here and open new windows, check various sites that I have gotten yarn from, and if I can find it cheaper elsewhere, I pass on ebay.

I agree. I am on that "fixed income" since I am retired and also widowed and I check prices and watch for sales and bring my little coupons into the stores. My motto is to get the most I can for the least amount of money. I do order online, especially when free shipping is a factor and I check prices when shipping is charged. But from what I have read on other boards, it seems to me (and this is only my little humble opinion) is that some people may either be starting out or not aware of their choices. What upsets me most is when people auction off those free sheets that you can get in Wal-mart, Joanns, etc and charge a few bucks for shipping. I can't figure out these things out either.

LI Roe

i noticed that too, on regular skiens..however i just got in about 5lbs of chenille for 20 bucks (shipped) and the closest thing to it at walmart is "caron jewel tones" which is about 5 to 6 bucks for a 3 ounce skien...add that up to 5lbs and its WAY over 20 bucks!!

Karen-

I buy yarn off of eBay, but trust me, I compare like crazy. Shipping is always high because of weight, but like others, I just bought 5 lbs of chenille for $12.00 with shipping. I look for people who are close to me and large quantities. This chenille is like Lion suede almost, I just double it. I have found stores.ebay.com/Fiber-Options_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm (Melanie at Fiber Options) to have the best selection for a good price. She ships immediately and is very reliable and answers any questions you may have immediately. Her shipping rate is actual, no handling fees, however to England, I am not sure what it would cost, but you could contact her. I know Elizabeth (Three Olive Martini and In My shoes (Natalie)) have also purchased from her and have been very happy.

*Nodding emphatically* :yes

I am very pleased with my purchase from Fiber Options!

I got SO much more yarn than I expected, and it's such nice quality - shipping is hefty but for an 11lb box of yarn of course it's not going to be cheap...!

:thumbsup for my Ebay purchase...

Marvie, I'm like you, I get windows open and compare like mad!!

I'm not against buying from Ebay - that's not what my post was about. I buy from Ebay frequently. I just got 4 packages of yarn this week! My comment is just about prices for things you can easily get online or in local stores which are higher than if you'd buy from those online or local shops. Like skeins going for $3.00 or more, when you can get same for $2.17 - and shipping will be the same.

If you can get a bargain off Ebay - then it's great! And that's what I'm saying, I thought that's what Ebay is for - getting things below retail, or getting things you can't find otherwise. I bought some Caron Christmas yarn for more than current prices, but it is a discontinued color that I really really wanted. I just cringe when I see people are paying way over the odds for regular stuff. That's all I mean. :))

Karen-

I've never understood it either!!! I guess it's easier than getting up and going to the store. Some people what a certain item and don't care what they have to spend to get it.

That's what makes eBay so fun, seeing what people will pay for "one man's trash".

Alot of times its more for the ppl who cant get out and about or from other countries. They have no idea what the price is in the store.. They are all just excited to be able to get some yarn. I know I wouldnt order any from ebay. I have gotten some vintage stuff before but that is about it.

Aaaargh!! I went and looked at Melanie's store (hadn't looked before) and ended up spending $25 there!! This is what I get for looking in this forum, lol.

The original thread topic - I've never understood it either. Drives me nuts with kids clothes, too - when people spend more for used than new. Just plain silly.

I was wondeing the same thing! I can't believe how much someone will pay for something. But, I do know how it is in the heat of it when I have 30 seconds to decide if I'm willing to pay just a little bit more....

I need to have a set written price I'm willing to pay and not cry over it if I don't get it! (But I rarely loose it!)

Amber

Elizabeth, you're right, I'm getting about 10 pounds of yarn ... I'll have to post pics when I get it. I'm really excited ... I've stuck to the "mainstream" yarns so far, not sure I'm up to actually using either of them BUT I don't mind hanging on to them until I find the perfect projects, lol.

I just can't believe I got MORE yarn ... I have four kids, lol, it's not like we have the money floating around ... I pull it out of my grocery budget. Dh has teased a few times that he is NOT going to eat yarn if the food starts getting short. :rotfl

Can't wait to see what you bring home with you - you already have an amazing stash, lol!!

I've seen these cones of yarn alot on eBay, but never purchased any. For those that have, do you wind them into balls, or leave the yarn on the cone? I wonder if a cone would be easier. Hmm.. :thinking1

Just to throw in my :twocents ... I like Recycled Yarn & Gently Used Stuff. She's very nice, packages the yarn well and ships priority. Though I'm still trying to build up enough recycled yarn to make a freeform blanket. :))

~Tricia

Archived