Spring Time Mystery CAL for Beg. Threadies

heart

Just a thought here...I have used cotton yarn...(like sugar n creme or peachen n creme has to be cotton) and a size G hook, and made crosses and starched them, and they kept their shape...maby these would too. Just have to do one and see how big it is, maby a coffee can or something like that to starch over? The handle would definately have to be wired, or maby crochet over pipe cleaners? have to think on this a bit. I don't have any cotton yarn here to try right now. But it's a thought. ;)

I've got some cotton yarn lying around (I was on a cotton yarn kick for a while, but never used it up...) Maybe I'll give that a shot while my stuff is in the wash at the laundry mat....

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everybodies looks great.

Here's mine so far. I haven't starched it yet still need to get the starch. Mine is going to my DD's teacher.

th_crochet083.jpg

Very pretty :clap I'm sure your daughter's teacher will love it! :manyheart

I need to load mine up and ship it off to my friend. I'll try and remember to post a pic before I box it up... :D

loopy it is not yellow, it is the maize color! haha

Aaaaaaaaaah (as Lucy of "I Love Lucy" would say). The joke's always on me! And that's OK, it's fun! :heehee

But everyone else was calling it yellow! pout, pout...

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:manyheart:hug

Very pretty Heather! There's gonna be some smiling teachers across the USA!

Our kids are already out for Spring Break. Got my gorgeous granddaughter sleeping in the extra bedroom right now. shhh! :sleep

Look on my blog linked below for her pic and the little jacket I knitted her for Christmas!

Here's the starched bridal white and warm rose can pants. Looks like I'll have to restarch the handle, huh? I'll give you 2 pics:

th_bridalwhiteandpinkcanpants2.jpg

with flash

th_bridalwhiteandpinkcanpants3.jpg

without flash

The ribbon is pink, just not quite the right shade, I don't think. Gonna get ready and run up to Hobby Lobby to get more.

Also gonna look at their "I Love this Yarn" I've heard so much about!

Hope everyone is having a great day! It's cloudy, gray, damp and chilly here.

Hi Loopy & everyone in the group :ghug:hi:waving, I'm still here lingering and reading. I wanted to see everyone's finished projects. I like your ribbon idea. You might try some wire underneath your handle to give it support. Just a thought :idea. I have my 2 nephews and my mother coming over today. Yeah, I get to show them my basket! :clap I'll show mom all your baskets in the CAL too. Maybe she'll be inspired to join the CAL, she's a veteran knitter. Been away from it for a while, but I'm sure it'll come right back. Bye, :dog

I have really enjoyed this CAL and seeing everyone's canpants :yay I haven't had the time to starch mine yet, but hope to get them done tomorrow. Here is a picture of them on my bean can done in pink and antique white.....

th_3-31004.jpg

I

I have really enjoyed this CAL and seeing everyone's canpants :yay I haven't had the time to starch mine yet, but hope to get them done tomorrow. Here is a picture of them on my bean can done in pink and antique white.....

th_3-31004.jpg

I know it is not a great picture, but I am still trying to learn how to use this camera. I will try to take a better one after I starch it tomorrow.

:cry I have to start all over on my can pants. I went shopping with my son today. When we got home, there was thread from one end of the house to the other. The 4 cats had somehow gotten the tote open and decided to play with it all. None of the can pants survived, and neither did my open thread. :rant:thair Luckily they didn't get the wrapped thread open.

It sure was pretty, though :lol The colors sure did look good mixed together.

If anyone remembers the Disney movie 'The Ugly Dachshund' and remembers the yarn scene, that was my house today.

Hey everybody! Sorry I haven't posted, we hit the floor running about 7am this morning and I've just now found a minute to hop on and say hi. :U I love the photos and the ribbon was neat to see. I'll re-read thru tomorrow and post back. These can pants just keep getting beter and better! ;)Good night everybody! ;)

Mel- I'm sory to hear about the cats and the yarn. I'm sure it did look pretty though.

I finally got my friend's basket together and will send it out on Monday.

th_MichelleBasket.jpg

I loaded it up with some paper 'grass' I picked up in the grocery store as well as some Hershey's eggs and some mini Cadbury carmel eggs. I'm also sending her some jelly beans and the JoAnn's gift card I picked up for her. I never did startch it, but I did put wire in the handle. I just hope DH boxes is up ok and doesn't mash the handle too badly... it should be OK, I've got enough other stuff going into the box he'll have to use a decent sized one.

Here is the next one I'm doing. I followed the directions for the first one farily well. This one, I played with.

th_VitaminPants.jpg

I am using #10 thread and a size 0 hook. That's my jar of vitamins that it's being pants on. I omited two rows before the ruffle. I like the first one I made, but the porportions just didn't seem right, it seemed too tall for the width for a basket. Maybe it's just me. I think I should have omited the two rows before the open rows, but I didn't think about it until after and I didn't feel like frogging....

Enjoy!

Loopy

was the ribbon your idea of part of the pattern that i missed reading?

My :idea! I was looking at it and I thought, "hmm, some ribbon would be pretty in that space!" Got some more at Hobby Lobby this afternoon. The sizes I already had here didn't work like I wanted so I got 3/8" which fits in there nicely. I took my baskets with me when I got the ribbon. A better shade of pink...had Grandpa and Granddaughter with me to help with colors! :lol:lol

Also got several skeins of "I Love This Yarn". It was hard to find! All mixed up in with the RHSS. Plus I got more #10 thread...gotta take another pic of the stash now! Also, got some light pink #5 DMC and a light purple #5 DMC for another basket.

Did I say I had other things to finish, like a size 3-6 mos. baby dress and hat for a 6-wk old baby? I'll be done...I'll be done...I'll be done...Yes, I will!

Thanks, Brenda! Glad you like the ribbon and thanks for reminding me about the wire...I had forgotten about that! I do hope Mom will get all inspired...has she joined the Ville? You said she knits; does she crochet, too?

Later, Dear!

Oh, Addey! The basket is adorable! You did such a wonderful job fixing it up and your friend is gonna just love it! Receiving hand made gifts is sooo special...knowing that a friend spent a lot of time putting a gift together for you really means more than anything!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the proportions. I think mine are kind of tall and skinny but they're still pretty. However, I like your thinking and will make my next one with that in mind.

It is kind of hard to see the can pants, Jackie. But I enlarged the pic for myself and it looks like you did a really nice job on it! It's hard to see the colors (for me) with the can background. Keep working with that camera and give us some more!

Hi Sarah! I'm saving Mel's answer for last. God bless her! I'm glad you liked the ribbon! I hope to be on when others are on tomorrow. I'm getting lonely being on by myself! :(

Mel, I am sooooo sorry! I don't remember that scene from the movie! But I remember one from my house back in the mid 70s when I had 4 or 5 kittens who managed to get one strand of baby yarn out of a tall cylindrical knitting tote that I still have (will have to take a pic). It closes with a lid that has a clasp on it but it has a little half-moon cutout on just a small part of the edge. That's for the thread to feed through while you knit (or crochet). I don't remember how many skeins I had in there...probably 3 or 4. Anyway, we went to bed that night and the next morning, the yarn was wrapped around all the furniture in the living room. In, under, through and out the legs of the coffee table and lamp tables...it was so cute! You just had to laugh!

But I am so sorry for all that work undone! I bet those cats are having "dreams of thread"!

We'll be waiting for new pics, now!

I think I have all the thread picked up now. The only time I have seen the cats since I got home is when I fed them, and they didn't come running like usual. They just kinda slinked to the bowls.

I hope that is the first and last time they do that. The funny thing is that I had left a bag of yarn on the couch and they didn't touch that, but got a tote open and had a good time with the thread :think

Hi everyone, well my starching didnt go too well. Using powder starch isnt the best and it hasnt made it very stiff. I cant get liquid starch here in Oz so I will have to think of another way to stiffen it.

You can try the white glue (tacky glue) and water method. I've used it for other things. I forget the porportions, but depending on how stiff you want it is how much glue to water you use... basically it should be thin and milky, not stiff at all. I'd start out with 1 part glue to 10 parts water and adjust from there. (I never measure these things, I just keep adding one or the other until it looks right...)

Archived