Oh no she didn't!

Okay I need to rant a little here so bear with me. So a while back I made my dd's teacher a poncho since she liked my dd's so much. No problem, she loved it and paid me for it. So then she asked me to make her some slippers. I said I would and scoured the internet for an easy pattern since I've never made any before. So, I made one for her to try on for fit and she said the heel was too loose so after a couple of days, she finally sent it back to me through my daughter from school. So, I frogged that one, fixed it and made another to match and was proud of myself :D . Well I sent the slippers to school with my daughter with a note of how much I charged her and that I hope she enjoyed the pair (she previously stated how much she liked the comfort and warmth and style of the one she tried on.) Two days later my dd came home and said the teacher decided she didn't want them anymore! No note, no nothing-she only told my dd this-she's 8 years old. So now I feel bad like I did something wrong! The plus side is that my dd can wear them-her teacher has tiny feet! I feel let down and invested alot of time into doing these for her since this was my first time trying slippers. I don't think she meant anything by this but still....Oh well at least my dd loves them right? :yes

that stinks!! i wouldn't make anything else for her, that's for sure! she probably didn't mean anything bad by it, just changed her mind, but still. i don't think you should be able to change your mind after you commision (spelling?) someone for a homemade item. it's increadably rude! :/

i'm glad your dd likes them though. :)

If her closet was too full, why the heck did she ask for them in the first darned place?:angry

I agree with lizc she was probably thinking they would be made for her for free and when they came back to her for a price she didn't want them.

Okay I may get slammed for this. I understand being hurt that she didn't want what you made and put your heart and soul into but I have to disagree with all of you. Have NONE of you ever returned anything to a store? Even if it fit and felt right? I also sell something outside of the home, not home made, just a direct selling company. I get returns all the time. For no reason. Some are stupid reasons. It happens. She's treating you like a business, like you have a crochet store.

We all have the right to change our minds (isn't that a woman's poragative ;) ).

Now you can have it that it's non refundable, but they won't ever buy anything from you again, maybe. You may want stipulations in that, such as, if it doesn't fit or it wasn't to written specifications, then that's the only way it can be returned. But then again, it's bad customer service. Returns are a part of selling.

Just my thoughts...

stepping off my soap box:soap

Debbi

When something is commissioned, unless it is grossly incorrect or the work is shoddy, there should be no refunds or there should have been a down payment at least. Commissioning something means it is made to order, the customer sets the specs or at least agrees upon them with the artisian/crafatsman. The maker of the item is then bound by those limitations and restrictions, making the work more challenging, which deffinately deserves payment. Commissioned items are one of a kind, it is not like going down to WalMart and just picking up something off a shelf. Returns are expected when items are made in bulk, but on commisioned pieces there should always be a fee paid to the crafts-person for time, effort and materials, if returns are permitted at all. That being said I do agree that policies should be made clear up front, but we tend not to think of those things when we first start to sell our work, or when dealing with folks we know. We just have to live and learn.

I never would have thought of any of that. I've sold some of my crochet work to coworkers. Of course I never looked much into selling my crochet work, a little, but not that much. I would expect returns if they didn't like it, for whatever reason. I guess I'm just too nice. I would also expect to return something I didn't like or have it fixed. I would feel upset if I had to pay for something that I didn't like or want, unless I knew upfront that there were no returns.

Debbi

ok so now I gonna get on my :soap.

I don't usually sell my work because of the fact that people won't pay what the item is worth. They want to give you 50.00 for a thread dress set adn think that is a lot. I recently did a christening set for dear friends of ours and my mother wanted to show some others it befroe it was gifted. Anyhoo one lady wanted me to make her a set very similar to this one and with as many peices to it and a blanket and she told my mom that she would pay 100.00 for it. Mind you the whole thing in thread except for the blanket. Yes materials would have cost me about 60-75 so really where would I have made ANY money from this set? So my mother tell the lady no it would be 250-300 for the set like this one. The lady says oh !@#$ no this is only thread and yarn and no way is anything made like this worth that kind of money. I posted pics of the set in the baby show and tell and you can see what she wasn't willing to pay for.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=616265#post616265

So I have to agree before you start to make a comissioned project you at least need to get money for supplies and if it doesn't work out you can still sell the item to someone else and at least oyu haven't lost out the money of supplies.

I agree with Debbi, but i also agree with knitcrochetandpray. You should be able to return it if you dont like it. But in this case it was a commisioned piece and was made specifically for this woman. She tried it on, saw it and decided the heel didnt fit, you changed it to fit her. If you went to a store and got something made specifically for you, then got the finished piece and decided you didnt want it, too bad, you'd still have to pay for it. I also agree that you should have discussed price upfront. I think she should have had to pay you even if she didnt want the slippers. Although the flip side to this is that if you hadnt discussed payment, she might have thought they were a freebie, then decided she didnt want them bc she hd to pay.

The brightsides are that you daughter likes them and that you learned-the hard way- that some people are just not good customers. :hugs

When something is commissioned, unless it is grossly incorrect or the work is shoddy, there should be no refunds or there should have been a down payment at least. Commissioning something means it is made to order, the customer sets the specs or at least agrees upon them with the artisian/crafatsman. The maker of the item is then bound by those limitations and restrictions, making the work more challenging, which deffinately deserves payment. Commissioned items are one of a kind, it is not like going down to WalMart and just picking up something off a shelf. Returns are expected when items are made in bulk, but on commisioned pieces there should always be a fee paid to the crafts-person for time, effort and materials, if returns are permitted at all. That being said I do agree that policies should be made clear up front, but we tend not to think of those things when we first start to sell our work, or when dealing with folks we know. We just have to live and learn.

Very well said and clearly stated. Any thing that is commissioned should always have a deposit. It is your contract for the customer to uphold their part of the bargain. Any industry where custom work is required (furniture, building, cake baking, flower arranging) a deposit is taken with a promise to deliver the goods in a set period of time. Only if I do not deliver do I ever give a refund on anything that is custom ordered. I am not a retail outlet. If the product is inferior because of poor craftsmanship then of course I would make good. But the whole idea is if someone orders something then how do you make them follow through with their purchase? You get a non-refundable deposit. THat way you aren't wasting time on work that isn't producing you income or pleasure.

The last response brings up an interesting point, should you be able to return a commissioned piece? Maybe only to return it for rework?

I work in an industry where work is commissioned all the time. Cabinetry, furniture, draperies, art work. Everything I order for my clients requires a deposit. All specifications are written out and agreed upon before any orders are placed. The only time a refund is given is if the piece if defective or faulty in any way. Say a customer orders a custom mirror that is 4' by 6' but when it arrives to be installed it should have been 3 1/2' by 5'. The customer still has to pay for the item because they agreed on the size before the order was placed. On custom orders the customer has to take responsibility for what they order. Now if said mirror was ordered in a mahogany frame and when it is delivered it is a maple frame the custome has the right to refuse and demand their deposit back.

I treat my Crochet work the same way. Pattern and yarn is determined before anything is purchased. A deposit is required (usually 50% or more depending on cost of materials) and full payment is due when item is delivered. I write it all down for them and have them sign the contract and they get a copy and I get a copy. When the work is delivered I give specific care instructions. I always ask them to call me if they find a defect and I willl either fix it or remake it ASAP. (I have only had one item returned because a yarn came unraveled, I fixed it and returned it the same day).

You can make things all day long for friends and family and not run it like a business. But if you decide to make a business out of custom work you MUST treat it like a professional business or your clients never will.

Alot of this has to do with confidence in your work. Once you exhibit confidence in your work and demand payment you will gain the confidence of your client.

ok so now I gonna get on my :soap.

I don't usually sell my work because of the fact that people won't pay what the item is worth. They want to give you 50.00 for a thread dress set adn think that is a lot. I recently did a christening set for dear friends of ours and my mother wanted to show some others it befroe it was gifted. Anyhoo one lady wanted me to make her a set very similar to this one and with as many peices to it and a blanket and she told my mom that she would pay 100.00 for it. Mind you the whole thing in thread except for the blanket. Yes materials would have cost me about 60-75 so really where would I have made ANY money from this set? So my mother tell the lady no it would be 250-300 for the set like this one. The lady says oh !@#$ no this is only thread and yarn and no way is anything made like this worth that kind of money. I posted pics of the set in the baby show and tell and you can see what she wasn't willing to pay for.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=616265#post616265

So I have to agree before you start to make a comissioned project you at least need to get money for supplies and if it doesn't work out you can still sell the item to someone else and at least oyu haven't lost out the money of supplies.

I remember ooohhhhhing over this earlier. You have every right to charge $250. and up for that set.

Okay I may get slammed for this. I understand being hurt that she didn't want what you made and put your heart and soul into but I have to disagree with all of you. Have NONE of you ever returned anything to a store? Even if it fit and felt right? I also sell something outside of the home, not home made, just a direct selling company. I get returns all the time. For no reason. Some are stupid reasons. It happens. She's treating you like a business, like you have a crochet store.

We all have the right to change our minds (isn't that a woman's poragative ;) ).

Now you can have it that it's non refundable, but they won't ever buy anything from you again, maybe. You may want stipulations in that, such as, if it doesn't fit or it wasn't to written specifications, then that's the only way it can be returned. But then again, it's bad customer service. Returns are a part of selling.

Just my thoughts...

stepping off my soap box:soap

Debbi[/quote

I TOTALLY agree with you.

Why can't you also think of it as a gift for your dd teacher? Haven't you ever givin' anyone a gift "JUST BECAUSE"? At least she can say (the teacher) that she bought it from her students mom

and maybe another teacher may want one. You never know. Now this just my thoughts.

jaye

The teacher was rude, but as a ' business ' its all in a day's trade. You learned a valuable lesson without too much cost. Its the main reason I rarely take orders and I price everything....if someone wants your work they will pay your price or go to wal-mart. life is too short to let this be a bother. Just remember this if the teacher places another order. The teacher probably thought you wouldn't charge her and was shocked when you did.

I've sold different crafts off and on for years, and I've never taken a return unless my stuff is in a store and their policy is to accept them. I think once I had a customer ask me to fix something and she was satisfied when I did, but I can't imagine accepting a return simply because someone changed their mind. I don't advertise I don't do returns, but I think most people who buy from me are people I know and they've heard me complain about selling (through other venues) to know not to buy unless they are certain they want what they are paying for. My theory is, if someone is returning something I made, most likely they wouldn't be a repeat customer anyway, so I wouldn't worry about losing their business.

AngieInCA, I am going to play mutual admiration society with you. I think your posts were extremely articulate, as well as poignant.

As for giving gifts, I do it all the time, especially to the blessed ladies and gentlemen that are educating my children; b/c they really deserve my appreciation for their hard work, dedication, support, understanding, kindness, generosity and so on and so forth.

I made rose pins

(used this pattern http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/StripMethodRose/ and a leaf pattern I made up, in microspun; they look very luxurious. If I ever figure out how to post pics I could actually show some of my work!!! Am too busy crocheting to learn to use the computer effectively.) for my boys teachers for Val-Day. They went gaga over them. Had one teacher commission one for another teacher for her B-D (the recipiant actually asked me to make one for her after the initial teacher had already asked. Had to make up an excuse [though true was a stretch] as to why I would be unable to make it for her at the time). They both loved how it turned out.

Now because the initial teacher commissioned the item I was paid for the work, having set the price up front, receiving payment before I even started. I am glad to make things for all kinds of folks, but a gift is something of my choosing, when I choose to give it; commissioned work is work and I get paid for that.

Interesting discussion! It seems to me part of this is also how your view what you do -- do you see yourself as hobbist or an artisian. A hobbist makes what she wants for herself or as gifts while an artisian is in business and takes commissions, sells to shops or from home.

Regardless the teacher was very rude -- who sends a message like that with a child???

The teacher saying her closet was full is beyond incredible. :rolleyes How full is that closet that she can't hold a pair of crocheted slippers? And who tosses something like that in the closet? :irk That was just an excuse for changing her mind for whatever reason. Full closet. poo.

Regardless the teacher was very rude -- who sends a message like that with a child???

One who isn't thinking about the child. One of my teacher's husband was friends with my dad and they were both employees at the same workplace. My dad was above him in ranking. The guy lied about needing days off and after repeated warnings was fired. Only he lied to his wife about why he got fired. She sent a letter to by dad through me, basically to get my dad to help her husband. I was in high school, but still it was uncomfortable because this was not the way it should have been handled and I had to hide the real story about her husband from her. It was awkward being in her class after that.

I hope the kid from the original post will not have that sort of problem with their teacher. I'm sure the teacher probably found it easier to lie about why she needed to return them to a child who wouldn't speak up than to deal with you directly.

Archived