Thread - What are your favorite brands?

MsSuzKelly

Wow. I can't believe the difference I have just experienced with thread. I had bought this ball of something in the bargain bin at Joann's...#10 - paid $1.50 for it. It was very stiff. I made a doily and it turned out nice. Well, I decided I wanted to try out some #20 so I bought a ball of Royale Ecru. Oh my goodness. This stuff seems like silk compared to the other stuff.

So, what other brands are nice and silky?? I am going to start getting more involved with the thread - so looking for suggestions.

Hi,

I use and sell, ALTIN BASAK and OREN BAYAN threads. They are mostly size 30 and finer.

They made out 100 percent soft cotton, even they are 20 gr. they have long yardage 276 yards. I have many repeat customers, they have beautiful colors.

Demet

My favorite threads are still the Dmc threads. Followed by the Opera thread. I have always liked the feel of Dmc Cebelia threads. It is consistant in quality and has a decent color selection. My all time favorite is the Dmc Cordonnet, but it only comes in white or ecru. But for quality it is the tops in my book.

I also like the Opera thread, though it is a bit softer thread. They do have a good color selection also.

I use almost exclusively Cannon threads, manufactured by Coats here. I love working with it.:hook My hands dont get tired even if I crochet continuously, unlike when I use yarn or some other thicker threads.

I would like to try DMC too. I was told that the DMC threads are available here now, but at 3 times the cost of the Cannon.

The only thread I've ever used so far is Aunt Lydia's. Mainly because that's what I started out with and it's the main thread I can get here. It seems to work well for me, but I don't have anything to compare it to as far as if it's really good or really bad thread.

Thanks, I've been wondering what you guys all liked in thread also. Good suggestions. I've gotten hooked lately on Valdani size 12. It doesn't twist on me and feels so soft and silky. Here are a couple sites:

http://www.valdani.com/

http://www.ds9designs.com/t_valdani12.html

http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/accessories_notions_list/52

For all of you who use DMC thread, I started a new thead (no pun intended) here about DMC Traditions. I'm really puzzled by what's happening to the Traditions line. Maybe you all can shed some light on this. :think

OK so I've been missing something in the thread aisle. I've only been able to find Aunt Lydia's as well.

I do mostly use size 10 because of bedspreads - I want them to last.

Funny but I've never thought about color in bedspreads or tableclothes before - too traditional I suppose. Have to try those next.

Is there a trick working with small size threads?

I like the DMC threads too. I used Knit Crosheen a lot too. It is not as

shiny as it used to be. I also used and liked DMC baroque thread, back

when they used to get it from India. Very shiny and smooth, like silk.

I did not like the recent skiens from Brazil(?). I did some "thread" work

with lustersheen too.

I've mostly been using thread I can find at Hobby Lobby or Michael's - DMC traditions (which I think comes in nice colors) and Aunt Lydia's primarily.

I am currently testing a shawl pattern for Kathy in a size 5, so I ordered Opera (in teal!), and I really like this thread a lot. It has great stitch definition, and is very easy to work with.

Also, I made the mistake of crocheting when I was tired, so I ended up having to frog the same 2 rows twice (:eek ), and the thread held up well to the abuse, and most important, it didn't knot up.

I've seen DMC Cebelia, but haven't tried it yet.

I also really like DMC Senso (size 3), Microfiber Cotton (a cotton/acrylic blend).

Archived