Cheap-O pattern place-keeping solution!

I am currently doing the Blue Star Afghan, and it's one of those patterns that is eighteen pages long, and there's something new to do every few rows. Oh, and don't lose your place or you'll have to go back to the beginning!

I tried the whole Post-It note on my line, but the things kept losing their stick-um and I'd have to throw them out. I am a cheapskate, if nothing else, and throwing them out without writing on them bothered me!

:clap :clap :clap :clap

So I found a BETTER way!

You know those business-card sized magnets you get in those foolish "capital one" or other credit card offers? Like anyone REALLY sticks them to their fridge to remind them to call later....

Well, if you take ONE of those and put it on the back side of your sheet, with the magnet side towards the paper, then take ANOTHER magnet on the top side of your pattern directly on top of it, they stick together, and you can hold your place with the top magnet and just slide it a little when you move on to the next row. It's not sooo sticky that you can't move the magnet easily, but it's sticky enough to keep your line in the pattern.

Keep those magnets coming now, I say!

What a clever idea. Unfortunately "Capitol One" or other such places must not think we are magnet worthy. (they must have seen me throwing away the offers) I do have some from the library and the hospital though. They would work just as well. Thank you for sharing this brilliant idea. :clap

I'm now going to have to crochet some placeholder magnets, buy some sticky back magnet material and make some spiffy line finders.

The way I currently do it is to put my pattern into one of those report keepers you get at the office supply store and put the postit note on the plastic front of that. The sticky seems to keep better on the plastic rather than on the paper.

You can also use a dry erase marker on the plastic front to mark off rows you've done, then erase them later on.

I have a metal board that comes with a magnetic ruler and 3 other magnets. They sell them at Herschner's and probably some of the craft stores. People use them for counted cross stitch too. Very handy.

I like the magnet idea when I do graphs too. I save all the ones I get from the hospital, dentist, etc and use them for fridgies and other little things on the fridge. I also have some where I decoupaged either paper or fabric on them to hide what they originally said.

That is such a GREAT idea!

Sitting right in front of me right now are three magnets like that and I have more stashed all over the house!

I, too, hate 'wasting' my Post-its. So this is perfect for me!

Thanks!

Archived