Miscellaneous Afghan CAL

BarbaraJean

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BarbaraJean - I just had an idea. You could make this long spot, sew it onto itself and make it a "foot pocket" lapghan. Just go up about 1 foot, then fold it over, and make the next row only half as long, then keep going... it will require more yarn, but it would save frogging.

Ladies - those ghans are GORGOEOUS!!!!!!!

BJ - I don't know IF you want to try this but it does work. Decide how long you want the ghan to be ( like maybe 70") and zip it thru your sewing machine twice or use a double needle for strength.

then you can cut off the extra and have a nice, tight, secure edge that WILL NOT be noticed when you do your border.

I did that once with an I hook instead of a G and was really surprized at the result. The width can be the length and just make it wide enough to look good. When it's folded on a couch it'll look awesome.

don't give up now - you put in too much work.

With almost 20" on the other side you can sew a line down that end (and cut between them) and work on a scarf or whatever.

It's yarn - we can fix it!!!

When i finally decided on the design of the afghan I go and change my mind again!

Got bored of making small squares and have now decided to do a big square with the smaller ones around the edge, then possibly do a few rounds in the same colours as the smaller squares and finish off with a simple border.

This week managed to start the big square, put grey border on 3 small squares and start to re-do another.

afgahnfordad.jpg

Rox

I just wanted to let everyone know that the daffodil afghan (and some extras I threw in with a gardening theme) went for $75. The total package, accounting for my costs and time on the afghan, as well as all the extras, amounted to about $125. I'm OK with the price it brought because I know the person who bought it, bought it for the afghan, not the extras and it's money I would've given to the cause anyway.

OH, I know I have some other posts here to reply to, but I've had four hours of sleep since when I woke up Friday a.m.:out:tired Be back later.

Joyce

Hi All ~ Sign me up, I'm back for more!

Everyone's projects are awesome! Barbara Jean, I'm sorry about your Sweet Dreams ghan. The stitch pattern is so pretty that I hope you attack it again.

I'll be making the Solo Afghan. It took me a while to find the blue yarn as it has evidently been discontinued. I finally found it on ebay and the seller must have sent it pony express as it took forever to get here. But it's here and I am anxious to get started as this one is for me!

Just have to respond to some of the afghans that are going right now....

Leslie- Adore those blankets! I love the softness of each one. But I have to agree with the others, the blue and yellow is my fave.

Mini- oOOO...that looks like a soft blanket.

Rox- I've done that out of boredom too. You'll find your happy place.

BJ- I hate frogging. But I also hate it when my afghans are oversized. Its a catch-22. The other ladies had some good ideas for fixing it....

Joyce- 4 hours? Ouch.... That's great that your afghan/garden set went well. Stuff I donate never really goes for what I put into it either. But like you...I would've donated that much anyway!! :) And when we do it with a right heart, we can be blessed by it!

I am currently still working on square #8. The afghan got set aside for the weekend cuz DH and I took a day without kids and we went to a trendy little town called Bayfield. Its a little harbor town on Lake Superior....ANYWAY....I found out that one of my favorite shops has added a knitting shop to their upstairs....Oh wow...I just drooled. I did buy some yarn that would work nicely in some prayer shawls. My mom went gaga over one particular yarn, so I'm going to make her a prayer shawl for her birthday in November with it. Then we had a graduation party on Sunday and it was entirely too hot outside to work with yarn.

Hi everyone...I'm back for now...I finished joining one strip on the trip, but didn't get much further than that. It was busy. I only have two weeks to go too, so I hope to be working hard on it. I'm kind of lost, not making two blushing grannies a day anymore...:hook

Just six more strips to go, then joining them and crocheting the border.....I'm getting there....

:D

Ok I have square #8 done....here it is...http://bizzycrochet.blogspot.com/2007/06/ice-cream-cone-square.html

Someday I will learn how to do the whole 'clickable' here thing with the links...for now it eludes me.

biz

Hello!

I've been out of town since Saturday, June 9th and will not be home until Saturday, June 16th. We just got access to our laptop last night so I thought I'd take a few minutes and pop in here to check on everybody. I'll try to get caught up and make any changes that are needed. :)

BarbaraJean - I just had an idea. You could make this long spot, sew it onto itself and make it a "foot pocket" lapghan. Just go up about 1 foot, then fold it over, and make the next row only half as long, then keep going... it will require more yarn, but it would save frogging.

Hi BarbaraJean

I think that most likely the difference in the sizes of the crochet hook, made the difference in the size of the 'ghan

**When a pattern calls for a G hook, & you want to use an i hook, it might have did it, but------- if you do decide to :frog and make it over with a G hook, & then, it is still too big, then the pattern is really really wrong,

Ladies - those ghans are GORGOEOUS!!!!!!!

BJ - I don't know IF you want to try this but it does work. Decide how long you want the ghan to be ( like maybe 70") and zip it thru your sewing machine twice or use a double needle for strength.

then you can cut off the extra and have a nice, tight, secure edge that WILL NOT be noticed when you do your border.

I did that once with an I hook instead of a G and was really surprized at the result. The width can be the length and just make it wide enough to look good. When it's folded on a couch it'll look awesome.

don't give up now - you put in too much work.

With almost 20" on the other side you can sew a line down that end (and cut between them) and work on a scarf or whatever.

It's yarn - we can fix it!!!

BJ- I hate frogging. But I also hate it when my afghans are oversized. Its a catch-22. The other ladies had some good ideas for fixing it....

Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies! I would definitely like to try to salvage it. It's true that it's so much work just to frog it. I really don't think I'd be interested in starting the same afghan over again. :no I really don't know why I didn't use the hook it called for. Just an oversight I suppose.

When i finally decided on the design of the afghan I go and change my mind again!

Got bored of making small squares and have now decided to do a big square with the smaller ones around the edge, then possibly do a few rounds in the same colours as the smaller squares and finish off with a simple border.

This week managed to start the big square, put grey border on 3 small squares and start to re-do another.

afgahnfordad.jpg

Rox

I think that will look great! Super idea!

I just wanted to let everyone know that the daffodil afghan (and some extras I threw in with a gardening theme) went for $75. The total package, accounting for my costs and time on the afghan, as well as all the extras, amounted to about $125. I'm OK with the price it brought because I know the person who bought it, bought it for the afghan, not the extras and it's money I would've given to the cause anyway.

Joyce

Joyce, I'm so glad your afghan did well. I'm sure the person who bought it will cherish it. It really is lovely!

Hi All ~ Sign me up, I'm back for more!

Everyone's projects are awesome! Barbara Jean, I'm sorry about your Sweet Dreams ghan. The stitch pattern is so pretty that I hope you attack it again.

I'll be making the Solo Afghan. It took me a while to find the blue yarn as it has evidently been discontinued. I finally found it on ebay and the seller must have sent it pony express as it took forever to get here. But it's here and I am anxious to get started as this one is for me!

Gotcha! That afghan is fabulous! Will you be using the same colors?

Congratulations to everybody else who has posted progress!

I'm working on my new baby afghan. I'm enjoying it and adjusting to the difference in yarn size. I'll post a picture when I get back home to my camera.

I was wondering if I could join this CAL if it was still going? I have a few gahns that I need to get done and would love to be apart of this. I've gone through half of the posts at least ans seen some amazing work I love everything I have seen so far.

I am doing a shell stitch baby blanket for a friend of mine who is expecting towards the end of the year but with my own little one (9 months) I don't get all that much time to do anything so I figure I would start early to be sure it got done. I am quite a few rows into it and hopefully will get more done once the little one goes to bed tonite. If will post a pic tomorrow afternoon if that is ok. =o)

I was wondering if I could join this CAL if it was still going? I have a few gahns that I need to get done and would love to be apart of this. I've gone through half of the posts at least ans seen some amazing work I love everything I have seen so far.

I am doing a shell stitch baby blanket for a friend of mine who is expecting towards the end of the year but with my own little one (9 months) I don't get all that much time to do anything so I figure I would start early to be sure it got done. I am quite a few rows into it and hopefully will get more done once the little one goes to bed tonite. If will post a pic tomorrow afternoon if that is ok. =o)

Welcome aboard. I think as long as there are miscellaneous afghans to crochet, this one'll be going strong. Post pics when you can.

BarbaraJean, welcome back. I wondered where you'd gone. Can't wait to see your new ghan.

Bizzy LOVE that afghan. I can't wait to see the completed one.

Nuts...WOOHOO, you go! I know those ends can be a devil, but just think once it's all done (and we get to see pics:hook )

Joyce (whose not currently working on an afghan, but can't resist coming to see my friends' work progress)

I have now completed 80 of 128 rows of my "Lake Tahoe" ripple afghan, but haven't made any more progress on the ripples for the grandkids or my Pineapples-in-the-Round afghan. I'm in the middle of packing for a move this weekend, but still haven't packed my yarn stash. On top of that I received a 26 pound box of yarn in the mail yesterday! How sick is that? :think

I have 12/48 squares done. It got miserable hot here almost overnight, so it's been difficult to pick up yarn after work. So, I'm squeezing in a few squares every morning before I leave for the salt mines.

:hot

Yes, Barbara Jean, I'm making the Solo afghan in the same colors as the pattern calls for. They are perfect as my house is covered in earthtones :)

Hello everyone! I just started another crochet afghan! So i'd like to join back in! Its the "Dreamy Wrap" from Pink and Blue for Baby. I'm making it in pink and yellow for my future niece. My sisters baby shower is august 4th, so I have a definite deadline to make all 196 squares and put them together... I did one tonight... only 195 to go!

(I'm a little intimidated so all the encouragement will be appreciated!)

Camera batteries are dead so i'll have to wait until tomorrow to post a picture of the little squares:hook

Hi Melibean! Welcome to the CAL! I'll add your baby blanket to the list in the first post. :yay If you would like any of your other afghan projects added just let me know.

Hello everyone! I just started another crochet afghan! So i'd like to join back in! Its the "Dreamy Wrap" from Pink and Blue for Baby. I'm making it in pink and yellow for my future niece. My sisters baby shower is august 4th, so I have a definite deadline to make all 196 squares and put them together... I did one tonight... only 195 to go!

(I'm a little intimidated so all the encouragement will be appreciated!)

Camera batteries are dead so i'll have to wait until tomorrow to post a picture of the little squares:hook

Welcome back! ;) 196 squares! Wow!

Thanks for adding me I will get a pic up asap I am having a issue with my digital cam today though every pic i take is blurry very very blurry. Hopefully I can get some real work done on it today *crosses fingers*

Hi! :) This weekend I am going to buy yarn to start working on a two-strand ripple afghan, well more like a bed spread, as a wedding gift for my sister who gets married in a month. It will be approximately 110” long x 96” wide when it is done so I got my work cut out for me. So I thought I'd join this CAL to get me working faster. Hopefully I will be able to finish it before we get there. I do have an 8 hour plane trip to get there as well, so I will have nothing but time then. :P Her wedding is July 21st and we leave two days before that. I will let you know when I start so you can kick my behind if I start slacking :)

Archived