Yarn Market

Has anyone used the online store Yarn Market? I'm hoping they are ok, because I just placed an order there for a digital row counter. I'm quite annoyed really.

I searched the internet for somewhere in Australia that might sell them, and could find no one! Now I've been left to order it from the US, where the counter was $21.95, and the postage was $28.95!!!! And that's US, so by the time it get's here, this row counter will have cost me nearly $70.

Does anyone else out there, who doesn't live in the US, have this problem getting things they need for their craft?

It's got me thinking, I wish I could open my own online store, right here in Australia, that sells all the great things that are available overseas. Mainly because the postage costs are just ridiculous. I mean there are some lovely yarns, hooks and all kinds of things we just can't get here...why has no one else thought of this for Australia?

I've run into the same problem here in the UK. The yarn and supplies choices here are very limited. I've also thought of the same thing as you - set up my own online supply business and get some of the "good" stuff from the U.S. to sell.

One of my favorite online stores for yarn and hooks is Purple Kitty Yarns. She has some of the more popular acrylics (like Red Heart), and she only charges $4.95 for shipping - even all the way out here. The next time you're looking for yarn, thread, hooks, or pattern books you might want to check her out. (Oh, and I say "her," because the woman who runs it is also a member here. :) )

Hi there, Me and a friend have been thinking the exact same thing! Yarn in Oz is stupidly expensive, if you get it from overseas, and considering how many sheep and cotton farms we have here, why is it that we can't get any decent yarn. ***... I think I had better get off my soapbox lol!

I'm so amazed! I placed my order late on the 26th January from Yarn Market, and here it is, lunch time on the 30th (for me in Australia anyway)!

I can't believe it only took 4 days, including the weekend to come. All of my second thoughts were for nothing!:clap :clap :clap

Yeah I hate how we can't get any really great stuff here and I can't afford postage on things cause it's just ridiculous once it's converted from pretty much any currency to ours. The Aussie dollar ain't that strong around the world-especially America.:rant

If you opened a store I'd be your first customer for sure! It sounds like a fantastic idea!:cheer:yay

Wow I never realised that our prices here in Aus were so bad. I have not done much yet and am only just stocking up to make things for bub. Maybe you should look into starting up an online store. The overheads would not be so dear.

Good luck.

Bec

gosh, with the aussies on here alone we could all have a share in the store to help get it up and running! lol. i've never bought from crochetaustralia.com.au but they by far have the best range of anything i have seen. online or real store. I know Angel has ordered from them and was impressed (i think it was the Freddo frog that won her heart!). i get very frustrated with almost all crafts in this country. crafting here is seen as specialty and as such the prices of items are huge!

mandy, i think i would have asked a friend in the us to receive the item for me and post it on. mainly cos it sounds like they used a premium shipping at that price! i have recieved a few raok's from the states and they were about that price for a couple of kg's weight. i would then paypal money to the person sending it for me or something :)

i am glad you got your item so smoothly and fast. what a shame you couldnt "shop local" as it seems to be such a big motto around here lol i will go back to dreaming about walking through an American craft store now...

Im only in Canada right on the boarder of the states and feel the same way, about shipping costs that is...

It totally irritates me how much some people charge for shipping and its just crossing the boarder....I could drive across and pick it up for less money then what some people want to charge for shipping....A YARN co, wanted to charge me 24.00 for shipping 6 skeins of yarn when they only charge People in the states $5.99 for the same order :eek:think ...

Im from the states born and raised in New Jersey but live in Canada so I know about the shipping rates and it should only be 1.50 - 2.00 more for the shipping to Canada NOT 4 x times the rate....

I just think its a shame and these people would be making a lot more money and making more sales from people if they were just honest with their shipping costs.

Do you fellow aussies use the carnival yarn at Big W. Its 100grams for 3dollars. Its not bad and I think its similiar to red heart but I do agree. I to wish we had an online store to get red heart and caron ss etc. How hard is it to start a online shop.

Hi there, Me and a friend have been thinking the exact same thing! Yarn in Oz is stupidly expensive, if you get it from overseas, and considering how many sheep and cotton farms we have here, why is it that we can't get any decent yarn. ***... I think I had better get off my soapbox lol!

I was gonna say...my BIL lives in OZ (NSW), and is always bragging about the wool there :P I think you Aussies should band together and do something about it!

CJ

I was gonna say...my BIL lives in OZ (NSW), and is always bragging about the wool there :P I think you Aussies should band together and do something about it!

CJ

yeah you can find good wool when you live close to wool mills etc and buy it direct. i can't say i have ever seen Bendigo Woolen Mills wool in stores, but I know Helenpeta buys it from their warehouse direct, and I have mail order catalogues for them. You're also talking the "boutique" type wools. The nice yet affordable stuff just doesn't exist here. If it's cheap, it's rubbish. Well, that is my experience!! I don't use yarn much, but I love cotton. Even just regular old size 10 cotton is so har to find, and when you do it is over $7 a ball. You certainly get nothing like the range of colours, styles and ball sizes that can be purchased elsewhere. I've ctually found more size 20 and 40 cotton here thn size 10. And you will only find monochromatic variegates too. None of the beautiful blended colours.

I love Yarn Market. They're reliable. Although, I don't know if their shipping costs run high - I always buy over $100 so that I can get the free US shipping...

I shop normally through Crochet Australia, for hooks, accessories and patterns, and they're fantastic. Some things they don't have though, and they don't stock much by way of yarn. Otherwise they're fantastic.:clap

Aussie I have used Carnival from Big W, but I find it a bit scratchy.

Don't get me wrong, we do have access to a wide variety of acrylics at reasonable prices. I recently paid 99c a 100g ball of acrylic at Spotlight, and I've bought 1 kilo balls for $7.99 from Lincraft before. It's the more luxurious yarns I have trouble finding. Cashmere, alpacca, fine wools and so forth. The large chaing stores like Spotlight and Lincraft sell some, but the quality isn't great.:no

Clare I'm with you, I've had fantasy's about owning my own craft/yarn store.:jumpyay I just wish I had the capital and time to start one! I already own a business that takes far too much of my time, or I'd seriously do this.

I hadn't thought of asking someone from the US to purchase the item for me and post it? I don't know anyone well enough to ask such a large favour.:2blush

I guess, for the time being, all I can hope is that someone can RAOK me some lovely soft yarn from overseas.....

Archived