Bed Doll..BarbieDoll..or clothes..CAL

acrhrttcwgrl

Hi Anna

Chloe is only little, right? Just checkin, cos modern Barbie dolls are a different shape to the older dolls. If Chloe has new Barbies, or will be gifted new barbies, the clothes available online are almost all for the older style dolls. You know, with the extreme hourglass figure. The doll I've pictured below is one of the modern Barbies. She has a flat tummy and a realistic waist, her hips are wided but hey, she is a woman afterall! lol I did take a photo of one of my Barbies from when I was a girl alongside one of Jessi's. There is quite a difference in shape. I just wanted to forewarn you, just in case! Jessica has a couple of my old Barbies, and one or two that we have bought for her are the older shape. I'd just hate to see you go to all that trouble to make clothes for Chloe she can't then use :)

freepatterns.com has the odd Barbie outfit. There are a lot of sites dedicated to Barbie doll crochet. Also, not forgetting the $1 shop (epatternscentral.com :lol). Hope your book is all you expect it to be! I am sitting here trying to figure out the best way to make a night dress for a Barbie doll, for a child who can only use snaps/velcro (as buttons and ties are still a bit out of her league). Best of luck Anna!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Shell. I didn't know that about the Barbie sizing. I bought these Barbies about 5 years ago so I don't know if that is the "old" version or the "new" version. I will have to look into it. Chloe will be two in March...so she is still a bit young for Barbies, but the few we do have she likes to play with them with me. I have to put all the clothes on them and then she plays with them. She loves this "game". I am just tired of the few little outfits we have and so was wanting some different choices. I sure hope these patterns work for the Barbies I have. If not, I can always call my sister and ask for the ones that were mine when I was a kid. I am sure she would give them to me.

Hiya again Anna

I thought I'd link you a photo or two of the dolls, so you can compare :)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/michellesangel/DSC01870.jpg (front)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/michellesangel/DSC01873.jpg (side)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/michellesangel/DSC01874.jpg (back)

I didn't use thumbnails as they're nakey! This is Jessica's doll compared to my old one with the trendy hair cut care of my sister :think That girl was always ruining both our toys, not just her own lol.

Shell

ok, it's official, I CANNOT SEW :angry Hopeless! I tried, I try, i can't. It looks more than awful, and it was only blanket stitch :eek I just wanted to make a nightie so badly and didn't think crochet would work so well so opted to edge a fabric piece in crochet. well that part worked and actually looks quite cute! I made Babrbie a blanket on the weekend and ever since have been set on a night gown. well, it plays it's part for now but I am not sure how long it will survive. perhaps cotton wasn't the best fabric to try this with? anyways, here is her blankie and her nightie

th_DSC01879.jpg th_DSC01878.jpg th_DSC01876.jpg (clickable)

(this nightie pulls up over barbie's hips and surprisingly enough stays up!)

[/url]

Thank you so much Shell for those photos. Actually, I just HAD to sneak into Chloe's room last night while she was sleeping to see these Barbies. I noticed that some of them looked like the old ones and some of them looked like the new ones. She has four total so I think that makes it two and two.

I am wondering now if that Barbie book is for the older style or the newer style? Does anyone know? If its for the older style, does anyone know where I can obtain patterns for the new Barbie? Thanks.

And Shell, your nightie looks so cute. I love it.

I am almost done with dress number 1. I ran out of thread so I had to make a run to the store today. Now I am off to fiinish it up and get some pictures for you all.

wow Wanda Kay, that is so intricate! it's looking very pretty. shame balck is so hard to see the detail of.

thank you ladies for all your kind comments :) i do *like* the nightie, it just wont last long. i should have hemmed the fabric first to strengthen it. i hate hand sewing as i am awful. i don't have a sewing machine. hmm.. what to make now?

Hey Shell, do you write your patterns down for others to use? If so, I would love to have them. Those outfits are so cute.

Anna I have never written down my patterns. I'm simply far too lazy!! :blush I don't really think about what I am doing, so to stop and write it out would really bug up that process :lol I also worry about other peoples tensions. I'm also the kind of person that cos I am using no set process, when I start a pattern stitch and i get to the end and it doesn't match up as my row before wasn't the right multiples (and they never are cos I don't count) I just fudge it up! If i was making patterns for people they'd have to work lol

Quite simply when i start a skirt i start in the wasit. I chain enough to wrap around the waist then about 0.5cm more to accomodate a snap. i work in rows for maybe 1.5cm (so the skirt opens in the back to get it over her hips) then start bring it into rounds.

For her tops I start under the bust. Same process really, a chain long enough to accomodate a snap. Then i work the bust and the bodice into that initial piece. I've been doing the bust first, then cutting and tying to the bodice. for the busts i have been working all sc until i get to the middle, then dc to accomodate her bust with sc in between. it keeps the edges low enough to go under her arms but bulks it out where needed.

the nightie is a trapezium. i wrapped fabric to meet at her bust and cut it angular down the length. i was really surprised it stays up by itself, but that is great as to have had straps it would have needed to open so you could get her arms in.

I really should sit and write out some patterns. I keep being asked too. That *should* be all the motivation I need! But it just sounds like work and I crochet for fun. I pretty much never reproduce anything as I just pik up a hook and get to it. Will give it some thought Anna, it's such a compliment that you asked.

ACCESSORIES!! :garden I mean seriously, who doesn't love to accessorise? I am sure my dear friend Barbie is no different! So today I focused on a few accessories for my little friend. (yes, last night she was a dammit doll and tonight a friend. go figure!).

th_DSC01885.jpg th_DSC01888.jpg

th_DSC01881.jpg th_DSC01883.jpg (clickable)

Barbie's lil sister Kelly also scored herself a new beaded gown! Which needs a lining but shhh don't tell her! Kelly offered to look pretty in her gown a moment longer to show you the scale of the bags, which of course open and are very much useable. The pink one is 3 strands of embroidery floss, a little white size 80 cotton doubled over and threaded through before being tied off, the white net like bag was supposed to be a size 10 cotton but it seemed a lot smaller and so soft. not sure what it was! the little yellow flower is 1 strand of embroidery floss and a 0.60mm hook, the white clutch is DMC Cebelia size 10, a shell sequin and a 4mm pearl as a button of sorts. Kelly's dress is size 20, can't recall the brand.

PS. there are NO accessories smilies!! :cry Had to make do with a sun hat. hmm.. where's all the handbags??

Okay here's my gnome doll so far. I know that's not really the point of this CAL. Didn't realize til after I joined that is was really for doll clothes :blush

I'm gonna redo his coat and belt because I'm just not happy with them :no

Anyway, here's a link since I can't post attachments yet :Dhttp://happyyellowhouse.com/share2.html

Cara I like your gnome! And you could always make him a lil wardrobe of clothes, just to keep with the theme of the CAL :rofl Any excuse works with me :D

Shell, no worries about the clothes. They are just really cute, that's all. I asked on another forum I am on and they said that the Barbie book is for the "new" dolls so I am going to go ahead and buy it. I will let you all know what I come up with.

Misa, I see the your gnome has a coat on??? I think that qualifies as clothes, right? ;):yes

i love your little gnome doll, who said dolls have to be human looking? i think its darling anyways. shell i love the little bags and stuff you made for miss barbie and of course miss kelly is all looking snazzy and all, looking good everyone:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart

So you all thought I forgot about this CAL that I signed up for? NOPER! I was just waiting to have time to finish a few things...lol I did up Ariel so she could sit on my bed, or in this rocking chair that she is in, and look lovely, what do you all think? I got the pattern out of a crochet World mag I was RAOK'd, and used redheart stash with a G hook, enjoy, images clickable

th_100_0677.jpg

th_100_0675.jpg

th_100_0676.jpg

I am actually going to work on a bed doll for the Super Stitch Sunday event today. I got the slip done and today is the dress - well as much as i can do.

I will have to post the picture of the loaner doll I am (more or less) working from

JoAnn, Ariel looks gorgeous! I love your use of colours!! I am a monochromatic gal myself, it's about all I can manage without making things look odd :lol I love it, very pretty. And your little trimmings finish it all off nicely

Archived