Organizing

I'm not much help as I also need a system for organizing my stash. I have my patterns organized but not my stash. They are all just in bags, totes and boxes. The only help is that I know what is in what bag/box/tote.

I have my patterns in a binder with dividers to section them off by outerwear, baby, afghans etc.

As for yarn... well that's up for debate if it's actually organized. I have an old duffle bag type suitcase full, and two apple baskets full. As well I have three rubbermaid style clear buckets: one for chunky, one for worsted weight and one for DK.

Also for finished projects that I plan on selling or donating I keep them in one of those clear vinyl bed in bag things (you know when you buy a comforter set) to keep things clean of dust and pet hair.

I have really been working on this. i have downsized all of my printed out/torn out of a magazine patterns and put them in plastic sleeves. I am only keeping what will fit in 3- 3 ring binders. As for the yarn. I have a rolling 3 drawer plastic storage unit. The yarn must fit in that or it doesn't stay/or I don't buy it. I have been trying to get rid of a lot of those 1-skeiners. i am doing a basket of crochet related items for a benefit auction coming up- a beginners crochet book, hooks, markers- and yarn!

janelle, you might find the charity square along to be a good way to use up your one skein wonders.

We just started today and you could still get in on the fun

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41472

Hi Darski, great idea, only most of the skeins are the frilly fuzzy kind. I am planning on making some squares for Warm Up America with what I have left on my long car trip next month.

Since I don't have a large stash, I was able to organize it all in a canvas-covered chest of drawers.

I keep it in one corner of the living room, so when the mood to crochet strikes, it's right there. And it is organized, but since the majority of my stash is acrylic, the 2 bottom drawers are nothing BUT acrylic.

The drawers are quite large, so I was able to consolidate all of my stash into it, and free up quite a bit of room in my bedroom. I had had it all in a large plastic tub, a small one, a laundry basket, and a small cardboard box. With all of hubby's stuff (fly tying stuff, fishing stuff, tools, and computer stuff) all over the bedroom, we were starting to feel the room closing in on us!:lol

I can't even imagine having the kind of stash some of y'all have (I saw that thread where people posted pics of their stash...:eek ). If I had THAT kind of stash, I think I'd need another house... JUST for the stash!:lol

Since I have quite a large stash, and was always buying yarn without quite knowing what I had, I organized my stash by using bookcases (the inexpensive kind that you can get at Target for about $30).

They're the perfect size for putting my yarn in. I've organized my stash by yarn type (acrylics, cottons, etc.), then brands within each type, then color.

What I like about this system, as opposed to the tub system I used before, is that when I walk into my crafts room, I can immediately see at a glance everything that I have.

I have of course bought a little more yarn since I set up the system, and it looks like I'll need a 3rd bookcase, but I have space in my crafts room for another bookcase, so I just need to get one and set it up.

This has also allowed me to keep all my yarn nicely organized. Plus, now whenever I go into my crafts room (which doubles as my reading retreat), I have a nice visual experience that is similar to walking into a yarn shop.

i have all my yarn in a closet organized into hanging sweater organizers and i have the entire collection sorted into an inventory in a cheapy lined paper folder so even if i cant see everything in there i know that all is here and how much of each. also i have 2 17 gal. tubs on the shelf above the hanging bar this is what it looks like

a980d975bc3c5851398469152d00e829200609100_full.jpg

I have a stash in clear underbed type storage bags....I got the bags at the dollar store, and just lay each skein in it, and zip it up. Thats for the stuff I'm not using...the stuff I'm using goes in my new wicker storage chest that my feet rest on when i'm sitting in my crochet chair.

The bag is a good deal for my situation...I don't have much closet space.

I've got one of the bigger boxes we used when we moved that has the bulk of my stash in it...all the acrylics. I also have seperate bags for my cotton yarn, my thread, my Pound of Love yarn, and my "other" yarns...the wool, thick & thin, anything that isn't just straight acrylic....I did make a list of everything I have, then I made several projects and went shopping a couple of times, and I have no clue if it's actually accurate now (and I only did it a week ago LOL)...I'll have to re-do the inventory and then type it up so that it's easier to keep up to date....

Jessie

In my guess bedroom, I have Lane blanket chest, it doesn't hold blankets, rather yarn for making blankets. Then in the dresser next to it is my crochet threads and small chenille yarns. Just the lower two drawer are used. Of course my stash has over grow those and I have yarns I am working with or was recently working with in rubbermaid bins with lids on the floor near by. I never seem to have time to organize things.

Okay, now all of you have proven my husband right! I do have way too much yarn!!! The problem, if you want to call it that, that I have is that everyone gives me their leftover yarn. Just a few months ago I recieved two large garbage bags and a huge tote filled with yarn from friends and my mother. I organize mine first by weight, then by color. I have 10 large clear totes filled with yarn right now. Since I do a lot of small projects, I am able to use the yarn leftovers, but not as quickly as my DH would like me to! I am working on the charity squares CAL to try to get rid of some of my stash though!

Better get off the computer and start crocheting! :D

Patti

Patti, Just remind your DH that you did not purchase most of this yarn, but was a gift. So it is better to have so much without the strain on his wallet as well. :lol Not only that, you won't have the excuse to go to the craft store as often, thus also saving him money because as we all know, whenever we walk into one of these stores, we always buy more than what we came for. So it is a win win situtation on his wallet anywho.

I am fortunate that in my laundry room I have a built in type of dresser drawer, and some shelves above it - On the shelves I keep pattern books, with a notebook for the patterns I've downloaded, copied, etc. In the drawers I have a WIP drawer, along with 4 more drawers in which I keep yarn by type and color. Current WIP I keep in a large hat box by my recliner where I crochet. The hat box is both decorative and functional, and I can easily put everything away inside if company comes or whatever. perhaps you could buy a small dresser at a yard sale or something and use that.

I have only been crocheting for about 6 months. And My stash isn't very big but, I have it a Crochet Suitcase (Great present I recieved) LOVE IT!!! It like a suitcase on wheels but tons of zipper for needles patterns extra stuff then it's deep recentagle to keep your little stash.

I dream about some of your stashes out there. One day....

I have all my "loose" patterns in the clear page protectors and have them filed in binders, separated by category.

I went through all of my yarn and made a list. I jotted down the brand, color, weight, # of skeins. Then I made myself a simple table in WordPerfect so that I could input the info. After I finished I printed a couple of copies. One is next to my crochet chair and one in my purse. If I plan a project I know what I have or what I need. It has helped some, it just hasn't stopped my from buying more :yarn !!

I don't have much of a stash to organize...but as I use up my leftover, "single skeins", and work on a bunch of button bags, I'm getting a whole load of partial skein balls...So when I was on that Family Circle, Bernat "home tour", I saw the spa basket and said, "I can do that! for YARN!" So I guess I should get too it...those balls are rolling out and over my magazine rack that FIL made...all our craft stuff is in a "closet" FIL also made...essentially a bookshelf with doors. my yarn, hubby's x-stitch, misc craft, kids stuff...yikes...guess it's good I don't have much stash...that cupboard is far too full now.

I have one 3 drawer rubbermaid rolling cart with all my WW yarn. I have 6 closet maid canvas bins that I keep my WIP's in and two magazine boxes for all my pattern books and a 3 ring binder for all my printed patterns. I will be purchasing 2 of the six cube storage units as soon as they go on sale again at Target and I am hoping that this will keep me in good shape for a while. My old scrapbooking room is now my Crochet supply closet.

I have a 3 teir system. For what I'm working on I have a large collapsable suitcase on wheels. Then I have a 60 litre tub, that's for yarn that will be in my next projects. Lastly I have a wardrobe, and that's for miscellaneous yarn that I have no plans for as yet. It's full mind you, so I have to stop buying yarn.

For my magazines I have two filing cabinet's, and a separate bookshelf for all my pattern books (the ones that are bigger than you're average magazine).

I was thinking of getting some large plastic bags that you can see through and then sorting them. Right now I have them in a large black trash bag, and I had them sorted in smaller white trash bags with the color written on the outside of the bag, but that system requires that I go through the entire bag to see what I have.

I don't have a room that I can set aside for crafts, so whatever I do will have to go in my bedroom. Won't

my hubby like that? :)

Linda

At the beginning of the year I got brave enough to organize my stash, since I did have stuff all around the house. I do have a craft room, but it's filled with sewing stuff, so most of my yarn and any finished projects that I keep for gifts or selling are also ket in the closet.

I sorted all my yarn by color and type. Most of my worsted acrylic is in one of those cheap white bookcases. I have a laundry basket full of baby yarn. I have cabinet with a drawer of odd and end stuff. And I have a 3 teired basket thing, each section with a different kind of yarn. Each of these things has the yarn grouped by color as well.

I find it easier to find what I'm looking for and to match colors. However, actually seeing how much I had was a shock, and I don't even have as much as some of you do.

Archived