Suggestions Needed

Hubby and I were seriously thinking about getting a bigger Christmas tree next year. We have a small living room and for the last 3 years have had only a 3' tree. But I've rearranged a few things and we figure we can fit a bigger one next year.

As I only have a handful of ornaments, I started thinking about the amount of ornaments an average (5'-6') tree needs. And it occurred to me that I might be able to crochet quite a few.

The thing is, I don't want to end up making 50 snowflakes and that's it. Sounds boring to me.

So... BESIDES snowflakes... can anyone think of something else - something small, obviously - that I could make for ornaments for a tree?

I'm asking this now because I figure I can make a few every month, and by the time Christmas comes around again I'll have a good start with ornaments and will only need to buy a few boxes (instead of something like 10!!!).

You know... trying to use my BRAIN and plan ahead.:D

Another option is to make some of the stuffies that people have shown here on the ville and make them in thread instead of yarn.

You're a GENIUS!!! :lol I never, EVER would have thought of that... but it's a GREAT idea!!!

Thanks a BUNCH!

And thanks for the other suggestions, too... I will definitely look into them, but I have to be honest and say that this one is my favorite so far.:hook

you could make stockings or mittens or card ornaments and even use the container knee highs come in and turn them into ornaments by painting or crocheting around them or something like that. you could even crochet some garland or something to put around it like tensil and stuff.

One thing I did this year was to crochet a chain- I used different lengths- then did about 4-5dc in each ch. It starts to curl up on itself. When I got to the end of the chain, I finished it off, tied ribbon around the top and sewed a bell to the other end(bottom). I've made them out of thread and some out of red, white, green leftover acrylic. The red/white ones were pretty together, just treat both strands like one when dc-ing and the thread ones look abit like icecycles.

Another thought is to use some fridgie patterns.

Other themes: birds, houses, candy, fruit Oh and don't forget the Christmas pickle! :lol

The Dec issue of crochet today had some beautiful ornaments. You crochet with beads and yarn around styrofoam balls. They look very nice.

you can crochet around a christmas ball(its easy and doesn't cost alot either] then once you can add anything to the top. i like to add silk flowers and strings of beads ect. it turn it into a master piece using simple things, the roses as i said and anything else ya want. hugs and stay warm:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug

Freepatterns dot com has a pattern for crocheting thread over ornaments. i think it is called Icicles or something

http://www.freepatterns.com/categories/index.php?catid=crochet&subcatid=special+occasions&RECORD_INDEX%28patterns%29=41

It is called Iced Jewels. i am not linking to the pattern directly because it is a pdf and that can freeze your browser. the pattern is at the bottom right of the page i linked

Freepatterns has lots of stuff in that same category

These are just a few I hope to make this year.

mini stockings

little crocheted balls - I've made one in #10 thread they are small but you cna still fit a small trinket in them but thye look cute on the tree.

I want to make these amimgumi toy/stocking but it will be tricky it's a japanese pattern.

snowman

santa

santa hat

One year I went to a Senior Craft Fair. One lady had crocheted Ice Skates. they were tied together with a chain stitch. A large paperclip was the blades. I bought a couple & just drape them over the branches. I don't have a pattern but I like the crocheted things on my tree. Goodluck in your hunt.

Archived