Bedspread Bonanza

JulieKay

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:(:cry:thair

Bed spreads are something I can only dream about!

Start small, as most of us did. I began by making baby things. It just takes practice - I've been actively crocheting for over 35 years and it's more fun all the time...and trial and error. Don't get discouraged.:hug:manyheart

Hi, all! It's another grey, gloomy day here in Georgia. Which, of course, means that it's a perfect day to stay inside, watch movies and crochet. :devil

I think that I'll alternate doing that with typing up some notes of John's. Hmmmmm? Which to do first? Crochet!!!!!:hook

Welcome Mrs. Bryn. Granny squares are a good way to start. Do a bunch of 12" squares. They can be all the same pattern or lots of different patterns. They can be the same colors or lots of different colors. Then sew them all together. And, SURPRISE!!! You've made your first bedspread.:cheer:clap

Athba - good luck on your exams! Your new colors sound very nice.:)

Tabby, I didn't crochet at all yesterday either. I've crossed over to the dark side and was learning to play with pointy sticks.:knit

I'm not getting very far on my bs. I'm frustrated partly because my squares don't seem to want to lay flat and partly cause I don't really care for the yarn. I told somebody almost two years ago that I'd make this for her so I'd feel guilty if I just gave up on it. If I had the money I'd go buy some nicer stuff and gladly start over. Normally i don't mind using RH supersaver but this time I'm just not happy with it.

:(:cry:thair

Bed spreads are something I can only dream about!

How do you eat an elephant? :elle

One bite at a time

And, a bedspread is done pretty much the same way. You make a bedspread one stitch, one square or one row at a time. It is a commitment for a longer period of time but you could try one as easily as you try a potholder. the only real challenge in a bedspread is getting the yarn and getting enough of it :wlol

I guess I just like to show people that they know more than they think they know and they can do more than they think they can.

I finally reached the end. Yippee. Hi Ladies, Y'all write a lot! I am back from my little trip to Atlantic City. I did get a little work done in the car trip down there, then the light in the car started to bother DH. And during the Football game yesterday I started my 7th circle.

Funny I always thought of "FROG" as Fully Rely in God. When in trouble, Frog! But I guess both apply. I know there are several meanings to Frog, as my sister has a frog on her garage. :) Finished Room Over the Garage. So of course it has a froggy feel to it. With the Eagles playing the Giants (dh's team) It will be a football day here, so I have got to run and get shopping done. I will try to check in later as I don't want to have to read that many posts again.

I agree Darski has having just spent 5 minutes reading in here.

Athba I need to make 42 squares to fit my queen size bed. What was I thinking. Im still at odds with adding another color but for the moment Im just doing the squares.

Tracey welcome back did you have a great trip. Is Atlantic City far from where you live.

Welcome to Mrs Bryn.

Yes AC was alot of fun, I have learned to love BlackJack. We won yesterday morning, then gave some of it back throughout the rest of the day.

Wendy~ AC is about 2 1/2 hours away at 65 miles an hour. Of course I don't drive at 65.

I went over to AC Moore this afternoon and found a new book. I was very good, I only bought the book. I thinking later to open a CAL with it. There is one pattern in it that is to die for. The book is In Style Crochet for the Home by George Shaheen and the afghan is on the cover called Battle of the blocks. Oh geez, I am already imagining colors to do it in. :oops

Wow Tracey...that is very pretty...i would love to do a CAL with you on that one or you could just do it in this one...i found it at walmart.com and went ahead and got it...im drooling right along with you.Glad you had fun in AC.

Tracey that is beautiful. I would do it later on, of course I would have to find the book. crochet doesnt seem to be too big in Australia so you cant find many books here. I just bought the blue star afghan book on ebay and want to do that one as well.

Tracey Im glad you had fun gambling.

Hmmm, Wonder how I can do three blankets at one time. Wonder what hubby would say to that. He isn't as understanding about my crocheting as some of your DH's.I am always hearing, do we really need another blanket. So I say well it isn't for you, it is for so-n-so. Thank God we have a lot of friends for me to crochet for. And I get to know who is interested by their questions like, "Oh, who is that one for?" Right now, I have three people that I want to make a blanket for.

I have that book too...what book DON'T I have:D ? I think I'll have to live to be 100 (at least) to crochet everything I want to do! Not to mention wanting to fool around with the "pointy sticks" again :knit after not touching them since I was first taught many years ago...just to experiment... I get bored so easily...don't hate me:P

Wendy, the link I posted, the lady sells the pattern books. Don't know if she shipps international though. Don't worry it will be a while before I start on that one. I have the Blue Star CAL as well, I got the book on Friday and have ordered the yarn.

Hi everyone ... there are pages and pages and pages to read and most likely filled with tempting possibilities. :think I have had to stop on my red star as I ran out of red ....it can sit for a while as I finish other ones on the go. I completed my round ripple and now I may just might make progress on my other snowflake one.

Tracey I feel for you as I would be lost without my craft/crochet. I have many projects on the go and at the moment it happens to be afghans. How many afghans can a girl have? Never enough as there is always someone who appreciates one.

Wendy what colour are you working your BS ? My MUm's spread in red/blue etc granny squares (webshot album) is a queen size spread and it was one of the first ones I made after returning to crochet after a long, long break.

Judianne I gave up the sticks many years ago and now the only time I pick them up is to make hairpieces for my cloth dolls.

I like how people call knitting needles,sticks... hehe never heard that before.

I must admit crocheting is a lot faster than knitting and I dont think I could go back to the sticks either.

Forines my BS is in a very dark pink color although on here it does look red.

Hi Wendy I live in North Queensland where if it doesn't rain the sun shines. Winter lasts for a couple of weeks and most times we do not even wear a cardigan....

I give my rugs away and usually we use them as decor. This year I hit the big 50 and most of my school friends are right behind me so guess what I will be giving as a gift? I feel slightly silly giving a yarn rug as a gift when the temperature is so high but I write a little note that invites them to display it as decor, donate it to a charity or store it for winter.

Archived