crochet bookmarks

im going to admit right now im OCD and a book freak...

now onto my comment/question

it seems to me crocheted bookmarks (even ones made of thread) are awfully thick and therefore would mess up the books spine

by the way i have started a crocheted bookmark before but gave up because it was annoying, so i do know how thick they are

what's your experience with it?

Most of mine have been too thick; I've started making paper book marks with crochet "dangles" attached to the end, like ribbons with beads on the ends ..... these are especially good with bibles because the dangle can be used to mark a special passage. I use inspirational sayings or pictures cut from recycled greeting cards for the actual book mark, paper punch a hole a the top, thread through the dangles, in the hole. another one I like is simply an extra long crochet cord with a curly-q on one end....you wrap it around the cover of the book and use the tail to mark your page you can put google eyes on the curly-q and call it a book worm.

The bookmarks that I make are just a chain in the "book" part. My design elements are on either end.

I usually do a ball/circle shape on one end and a motif or intricate fan shape on the other end.

I am an avid reader, but I've never made a bookmark. I've received a couple in the ROAK swaps and I use them both. The bookmark part of both appear to be a very tight row of single crochet, and then they have embellishments top and bottom. I find them to be very functional and not too thick at all, but mainly I like using them because they give me a warm feeling when ever I see them, because of how I got them.

I too have wondered if some of the wider ones would be too thick.

The bookmarks that I make are just a chain in the "book" part. My design elements are on either end.

I usually do a ball/circle shape on one end and a motif or intricate fan shape on the other end.

same here, and a sc or two rows of sc have never harmed any of my books...with the "goodies" hanging out either end

I have one bookmark that is similar to the ones you showed. I don't like those as much because unless I want to add some serious stiffener to them they just don't stay flat like a paper bookmark. So I have to more carefully place it in the book before I close it. I think I'm more worried about the bookmark than the book ;)

I personally don't think they would hurt books. If it bothers you then I'd say go with what works for you.

I really like making the chain book marks with the motif on the end. They work up very quickly and are a great quick gift for friends who like to read. I've been making lots this year.

I've actually made four of the bookmarks from that booklet. They're all on my picturetrail page (see below)....

The cross is a bit thick because of the tassel. I didn't do it the way it said to do it, though - it's removable. So if the person I gave it to thought it was too thick she could just take it off.

The others aren't that thick. I don't wedge them close to the binding, though - just lay them inside. The flower one is the thickest of the three pictured together, because of the layers of the flower. But again, if you just lay it inside the book I don't think there's a problem. I used size 10 on all of them, just as the directions said.

Good luck!

Judy

I've made several. Most a simple pattern I worked out on my own. A handful were crosses I found online. All were done in number 10 thread and all are fairly thin. I did spray starch and iron them. Everyone loves them, including me. They're not too thick, not any thicker than the book thongs (which I've also made two of those). As stated if you're not shoving them in the binding, they're fine. My mother in law has commented how it's her favorite bookmark because of the softness.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I work in a library and you would not believe what people use for bookmarks. Personally, I love to make bookmarks and most of the patterns for them are not thick. The ones on the link you listed seem like there is a lot going on and I don't care for them. Most of the bookmark patterns are from #10 cotton thread and they are not too thick and wouldn't hurt the spine.

• 2 months later...

Well, I just happen to be making a bookmark from this very pattern book!! I have been making the first bookmark pattern in the book, (the picture isn't on the front of the book though). I just love this pattern and of course am addicted to it now!! I was seeing the bookmark when I closed my eyes to go to sleep last night because I had been staring at the ones I had been making for hours last nite!!!!!!!I am using the size 10 thread and using a #1 hook, cuz I just couldn't use the smaller hook that was listed! I figure I wll start with this size, then go smaller.,,, maybe...anyway, just thought it was weird that I am crocheting these and wanted to look on this site for ideas on bookmarks and found this thread!!!!!! I am working with the multi colored purple thread now, and I love the way the book marks are turning out!! This pattern turns out to make a pretty thin book mark. Have you tried this pattern yet? Let me know if you do.

I am making some to sell at a craft fair this month. How much do you expert crocheters out there think I can sell them for?? I don't want to just give them away, but I don't want to put too high a price on them either...let me know what ya think!! :think

I have made MANY a crocheted bookmarks from that very book, and have never had anyone complain it was too thick:eek .

I suppose it is a preference and of course if you are using one for a "collectable" book, you maybe wont use any bookmark. I have also recieved bookmarks, I LOVE them, they are from the HEART, that is what matters to me, BUT I don't have any so called expensive books either, when I read a book, I pass it on, also I recieved "passed on" books.

The bookmarks I have made are like darski's...with a long chain in the middle and detailed ends. I have made several for friends that really like them...In fact one friend of mine has a daughter that has been really struggling to learn how to read and she just was able to pick up a book and read it to her mom cover to cover. She told her mom that she needed a special bookmark like hers (the one I made for her) Her mom was so excited that she gave it to her. :manyheart I need to make her daughter a special one for her...

Gardnr

Archived