A better tree

theworm

actually, it's the same tree, but it looks better.

Yesterday I posted a pattern for a thread tree bookmark/ornament

Last night I made trees using the same pattern but with Red Heart Supersaver and pony beads. I'm pleased with how they came out and will be using them for holiday cards this year.

278263538_7d89333737_m.jpg278263540_43b4a14471_m.jpg

Very nice! I'm so confused about how people get beads on there...do you have a special needle you use in addition to the hook, or something? It looks so nice!

Very nice! I'm so confused about how people get beads on there...do you have a special needle you use in addition to the hook, or something? It looks so nice!

Thanks!

The beads are easy - you want to string them all on before you start the project. So.... make sure your beads have holes big enough for whatever yarn or thread you choose. Then use a large eyed needle to string them on. If you have trouble finding a needle that has a big enough eye AND will fit through the bead, you can wrap some tape around the end of the yarn and use that to thread through the beads. I'm making a bunch of these, so just thread on tons of beads - if you're making one about 25 will be more than enough.

Then, when working the backside rows, just pull up a bead whereever you want. Pull the bead down and then do your single crochet.

For these ornaments, I put the star bead on the ribbon, and then worked my first three DC in the ribbon loop below the star. It was easier that way. When I finished I wove my loose end in, pushed the star all the way down, and then knotted the ribbon above the star.

These work up FAST!

Did you use regular worsted red heart yarn and what size beads????

Yep - these were done with worsted weight Red Heart Supersaver and plain old pony beads - I used the metalic ones to make them look like ornaments, but you can use any beads that you like that will easily fit on the yarn.

For the bookmarks (on my blog) I used size 5 thread and 3.5mm beads.

I reposted the pattern on my blog with just the directions for the worsted weight ornament version. I think it will be more clear in this version if you want to try the pattern.

If you have any questions of problems please let me know. :)

Oh I cant wait to try this! I am going to Michael's NOW to get the pony beads!!! LOL. THanks for the revised version for worsted weight yarn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrochetRN tried the pattern and told me that it was curling. Mine curled a bit but layed flat with a tiny bit of coaxing. If you crochet tightly, you may want to use a I, J or even K hook to avoid the curling.

Archived