Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

I am 3/4 the way done with my first one. I have to admit, I was having a bit of a 'brain burp' moment for a bit, but I think I am on the correct tract. I am currently trying to finish the front panel that will over lap bit and then button on. I will be working on it tonight again........and need to pick out a nice contrast color for the trim. I am doing the sweater in pale yellow. I might be back later tonight for help LOL.

I have been following the directions for the size 8 but my dd must have long arms, because I added 6 stitches to the length .which of course gives me moment to pause when trying to decifer the rest of the directions.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be the one to ask here........................

When there is mention of using a 'thinner yarn' and then "Using 2 strands" WHAT does this mean???? LOL Does it mean you buy 2 skeins and use the 2 lead yarns at the same time?

I am so sorry for the basic 'goofy' questions. Someday I will know everything.. but it isn't looking like that will be any time soon. :-)

Beth

WHen there is mention of using a 'tinner yarn' and then "Using 2 strands" WHAT does this mean???? LOL DOes it mean you buy 2 skeins and use the 2 lead yarns at the same time?

That's exactly what that means. Altho, I saw something on a craft channel the other day where they took the "outside" YARN and the "inside" yarn from the same skein and did it that way.

Um, I haven't tried that yet, so I can't say how it will work, but it worked for them! They made it look easy!!!

on a craft channel the other day where they took the "outside" YARN and the "inside" yarn from the same skein and did it that way

Wow, I would have NEVER thought of that......... however, I can just see me wresteling the skein trying to do it this way. I always seem to end up with many many tangles in the yard when I pull from the wrong end. :think

It is a neat idea though and I can see myself trying this in the future...but I would need to get used to using the 2 strands first.:manyheart

Wow, I would have NEVER thought of that......... however, I can just see me wresteling the skein trying to do it this way. I always seem to end up with many many tangles in the yard when I pull from the wrong end. :think

It is a neat idea though and I can see myself trying this in the future...but I would need to get used to using the 2 strands first.:manyheart

What they did, just to be clear, is that they unwrapped it from the outside first and then would take it from the inside. It is kinda complicated to explain, but they did it pretty easily on the tv!!! :lol

Altho, I saw something on a craft channel the other day where they took the "outside" YARN and the "inside" yarn from the same skein and did it that way.

I have done this before when making a scarf that only required one skein of yarn. However, if you are doing a piece that is going to require more than the one skein, I would highly recommend you pull from the center of two separate balls or skeins of yarn. It is a bit easier. Also, if you think about it, you will be tying off and starting new balls less frequently this way. In other words, if your project requires four skeins of yarn and you use two threads from the same skein, you are going to have to change over to a new skein 4 times. If instead, you use yarn from two different skeins, it will last twice as long and you will only have to switch over to the other two skeins one time. Since I hate switching and dealing with the tails, this is a BIG plus to me!! :hook

If, on the other hand, you are getting near the end of a project that uses two strands and the yarn you are currently using runs out, you can just use the two ends from one final skein to finish it up. No need to break into two skeins if one skein will get the job done!

Hope this helps!

croppedcrochet.jpgOk, I finished it last night.

I am 'ok' with it. It doesn't look as 'amazing ' as I hoped.but then again...... I made it a size 8 when she fits in a 6 and the trim was kind of a 'fluke'. I was just using what I had on hand and my dd seemed to really like the red fuzzy. OH.ANd while crocheting this. I had held it up to her SEVERAL times, and thought the arms would be too short for her.so I added 6 .... now I see they are too long. Oh well. This was my 'prototype ' of sorts anyway. My DH seems to think she looks like she should be on Star Trek.:( Me? I am just thrilled I actually finished something for a change.:hook

Ok, I am not sure how to post the pic.Need to go find out. BRB

bico4.jpg Anyone else having trouble keeping the left side even with the right?

I had the same problem except it was the bottom right corner. All the sides matched while I was making it. I think it was just the way I did the edging that made it stick out. But it was just the first practice one I made to learn the pattern. Now I know what to watch out for on the next one I'm making now.

Pat A.

I had the same problem except it was the bottom right corner. All the sides matched while I was making it. I think it was just the way I did the edging that made it stick out. But it was just the first practice one I made to learn the pattern. Now I know what to watch out for on the next one I'm making now.

Pat A.

I suspect my problem is the edging as well. Everything else always matched up.

I suspect my problem is the edging as well. Everything else always matched up.

I was thinking that when I get to the edging again I'm going to pay attention to the edges and make sure it matches this time.:yes :yes :lol

Pat A.

croppedcrochet.jpgOk, I finished it last night.

I am 'ok' with it. It doesn't look as 'amazing ' as I hoped.but then again...... I made it a size 8 when she fits in a 6 and the trim was kind of a 'fluke'. I was just using what I had on hand and my dd seemed to really like the red fuzzy. OH.ANd while crocheting this. I had held it up to her SEVERAL times, and thought the arms would be too short for her.so I added 6 .... now I see they are too long. Oh well. This was my 'prototype ' of sorts anyway. My DH seems to think she looks like she should be on Star Trek.:( Me? I am just thrilled I actually finished something for a change.:hook

Ok, I am not sure how to post the pic.Need to go find out. BRB

Well, look on the bright side: She will not outgrow it in a few weeks!! :clap

Also, I personally like the look of the sleeves long and cuffed better on this pattern.

I have a question .. I started working on this last night (for no reason other than to do it) and I got to row 9 with no problems. Row 10 is basically just the same as the previous rows .. but then ..

It says fasten off and I don't understand how they want me to do that and then do the chain in the next row?

Row 11: Add sleeves: Ch 15(17). With right side facing, Hdc into 1 st st, where you fastened off (leaving chain hanging off the hook, wrap the yarn over the hook, insert into first st and complete Hdc). Hdc across. Ch 16(18), turn.

I think the idea of this project sounds good but wrapping my mind around it is challenging those wee little brain cells I've got. ;)

I have a question .. I started working on this last night (for no reason other than to do it) and I got to row 9 with no problems. Row 10 is basically just the same as the previous rows .. but then ..

It says fasten off and I don't understand how they want me to do that and then do the chain in the next row?

Row 11: Add sleeves: Ch 15(17). With right side facing, Hdc into 1 st st, where you fastened off (leaving chain hanging off the hook, wrap the yarn over the hook, insert into first st and complete Hdc). Hdc across. Ch 16(18), turn.

I think the idea of this project sounds good but wrapping my mind around it is challenging those wee little brain cells I've got. ;)

OK after row 10 you have basically completed the back of the sweater up to the armpits (before the sleeves). Now you fasten off.

Now you will be adding the sleeves by starting at the wrist of the right sleeve - you ch 15 to make the foundation chain for the right sleeve - then join your chain to the sweater and hdc across the back of the sweater - then ch 16 for the foundation chain for the left sleeve.

Turn, and beginning in 2nd chain form the hook, hdc in the 15 chains for the left sleeve, 25 hdc across the back, and 15 hdc in the chains for the right sleeve.

Does this help?

Ah .. yeah I think that's good. I was just kinda confused about fastening it off and then starting it again and I didn't know if I was supposed to snip the yarn off and start the chain into the piece.

To join the chain to the piece, do I use a slip stitch?

Okay I started my BICO last night, this one is for me. It is going to be more of a jacket than a sweater. Any way, I am on the sleeves bit and I have a question about what it should look like. Im not quite sure how to describe it but i will do my best.

Okay, so I measured myself from shoulder to shoulder(and followed Darskis directions for increasing the size) and made the beg. chain the right length. Now, as i said, i am on the sleeves and i held it up to myself and it looks too big....have you ever worn a shirt or sweater that was too big and the shoulder seams dont sit on the shoulder, they sit down on your arm an inch or two. Thats what it looks like. Is this okay. I really dont want to take it apart, but i dont want to finish it then find out it that i have to frog it.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :yes

(my bf set my keyboard language worng and know i cant use any symbols bc theyre in french lol so sorry about the grammer)

Ah .. yeah I think that's good. I was just kinda confused about fastening it off and then starting it again and I didn't know if I was supposed to snip the yarn off and start the chain into the piece.

yes! you've got it!

oh my, I started a BICO a while back, and got to like row 20 something, put it down, meant to finish it the next day, or later that day, and never picked it up again.... :eek I have to add it to my list of things to complete this week :lol

Knicknac: No i dont have a cam...the sleeves are about an inch or two above my wrists.

I talked to my grandma and she said it should be okay, but i was still wondering if anyone's turned out the same way

Another question: Would anyone know if and how i could put a collar on the neckline.

No, you don't use a slip stitch!

After you have created that one sleeve start row, you just do your usual HDC into the 1st stitch of the back piece. work your HDC across the back that is already worked and then head off the other side chaining to create the sleeve for the other side.

Archived