How about a Mystery Halloween CAL....

minwifeof4boys

Just a few more hours til the mystery begins! I really think it is great to have so many newbies join in :cheer :cheer a great way for us to get to know you!

... If you are a little nervous about all the color changes, find the other thread and read the tutorial... it really is easy... and in this project there is LOTS of practice:P ... so polish up those hooks ladies... tomorrow is the day!:devil

Not like I don't have a ton other WIM to do, but I already have a 1 pounder of both black and white so can use them up. :D (or some up). Then, Hallows is an absotively posolutely FAVORITE holiday of mine (everyone should get the day off for it :D ) so, count me in to try. (YEA!! MY FIRST CAL!!!)

Sandy

I think I'll give this a try. I've never done this before and it sounds fun. I need the practice of joining the yarn that way, I usually tie the yarn off and add the new color. :ghost

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad I took part in this one! In the latest issue of Crochet World is a tote bag that is screaming out my name to do for my GD, she'll be a big sister in June. Now for my question, in the tutorial I read to crochet over the unused color and in the magazine it says not to do that. I loved the way the ghost came out, the back was neat and tidy. Charlene

Charlene, I am new to this also, but I have now done some and have read alot. Most of everything I have read says, "Not to crochet over the color for more than a few stitches (you know, if you use it, then need it again a couple of stitches later). That having been said, part of it depends on the project you are doing. Like the ghost we just did and what it was being used for didn't matter. I did figure out while doing this project, that you bring the unused color to the front, keeping it out of the way, when you are not stitching over. This way it is where it needs to be when you turn around to do the next row. Just try to leave it where you will need it next. Now, one other think that can make a difference, is if you are doing Tuscan Sp? (afghan) stitch where you will not be turning your work. I know I have been wordy, but I hope this helps. If you are doing the (afghan) stitch, there are plenty of very knowlegdeable and willing people here at the 'ville that can help you.

Hi Charlene, Great advice from sem464....and she was right about the color changing thing... since it was a smaller piece with only 2 changes and something we did frequently, it worked out to carry the colors... when you do that, then it is just that you are laying the not used color flat and crocheting over it... but I think you have that part.... that being said... for a large project ( I happen to be working on a whopper now) where there are large blocks of color change, then its best to run small balls of yarn for each color instead of carrying. something small I think it would be just fine...something smaller like a tote might be easy to get awy with carrying the yarns....I'm working on an afghan that I just chained 174 stitches ... sheesh! I really didn't know it was going to be so huge but I was using an old cross stitch pattern of the NASCAR logo as the graph.... all I an say is the old boy ( ds#1) better apprecaite it!!!!!

Let us know how you do with the tote and pm me or post a general question to the board if you need help

Archived