I don't like what I see

birdlady1

I'm seeing too many crocheted projects ending up in thrift stores. :( Everytime I'm there, I see multiple dolls, gorgeous afghans and incredibly intricate doilies. Hanging there ... unloved ... with prices that would be an insult to the people who made them.

It's not an isolated incident and it's not just one thrift store.:angry

I think about buying them (at least some of them) but my house would be quickly filled to the ceiling.

What's going on? It's getting me very depressed about ever giving someone a crocheted gift.:sigh

I know how you feel. My mother and I hit up estate sales every week. THATS depressing! To see the woman who lived there's hard work sold for a few bucks. I personally love the materials I can get at those for so cheap, though Im sure the woman would be happy to know her materials are going to someone who will love them. Though- the already made items I see people pass over.

At one sale, the grandchildren were helping with the sale. Up for only 35 dollars, was their great great grandfather's christening gown and bonnet. This killed me, an actual heirloom being sold, and for next to nothing, while their kin still lived. I guess I am just a sentimental girl, but when the day comes to sell my grandmothers items, I dont wanna be anywhere around. :(

I haven't been to any thrift stores lately (not many in my area for some reason) but I will check them out when I do get to them. I have items that were made by my mom (still alive) and grandmother (deceased) and great-aunt (also deceased) that I would never part with. I am very sentimental when it comes to these kinds of things, would never sell something. I am just sorry I never had any kids, don't know what will happen to my stuff when I am gone. And through the years, I have learned who will receive a handmade gift and who won't.

LI Roe

Sometimes it is just a matter or having too many afghans or whatever in the house! I have donated items (both handmade and bought) that were nice (some still with tags on them) if we aren't using them because I figure it's just going to collect dust in my house and it could bless someone else. Do the less fortunate or people on a tight budget (like me) deserve no more than ratty old stuff? I don't think so.

Some people make and donate to thrift stores in the way others do for charity. I know many elderly people who crochet/knit to keep busy but have no use for all that they make so they give it to whoever they can. It isn't always someone's unwanted gift or someone's grannies treasure. And if I couldn't pick up some of the things in thrift shops that I do then life would be rather bleak. It's all about your perception, try see things from the other side of the fence for a minute and you might get a little less upset. So much better for the stress levels :D

I do think that sentiment is different to different people. On one of those organizing tv shows. (drawing a blank on the name of it at the moment), the organizer always told the people being organized that the memories weren't in the object, but in their minds and hearts.

A month or so ago I bought a bunch of vintage jewelry at a garage sale. The lady told me it had been her great grandmothers and had been laying around unworn for 3 generations. She took out a few special pieces to pass down to her children. The rest were sold, and most now belong to me. I wear them, which was what her intent was. She told me that she felt they would be honoured more by being used by someone who loved them. (and I do!)

My mom tended to give away anything that she wasn't using, with the result that there are very few items passed down in my family so I have been buying myself some "heirlooms"!

I also want to cry when I see the afgans and baby blankets and such in the thrift stores. Some of them you can see took a long time to create. Even my dh who often comes with me on my treasusre hunts feels bad when he sees them. What a sin.

I think we crochet for our enjoyment and I agree that some may be donated for the singular purpose of giving to that charity. I would rather see mine go to someone that was willing to buy it in a thrift store than being thrown out or given to the dog to lie on( unless that was the original purpose). I have bought a couple at thrift stores and frogged them to make snuggles for the local community animal shelter, never anything new but some older afghans.

You guys are lucky to see crochet items out and about at all - even my LYS doesn't stock crochet patterns!!!

I understand how you must feel though, I have an afghan made by my nanny (dad's mum) which is nothing much to look at as she used to buy old jumpers and frog them; but I love it and as she died while I was really young it makes me feel a connection with her being as I'm the only hooker in the family.

I also hate seeing adverts for wedding dresses being described as "brand new, never worn" - Ahhhhh

The local thrift store that I frequent is run by a charity for single moms. I donate as much as I can and am always thrilled when I spot crocheted baby items and afghans in the 'intake' area. These are always given to the new moms who are the beneficiaries of the charity. We all love bargains but knowing that unwanted items are finding new homes, especially with those who need something really special, is a different kind of pleasure. Bravo to the crocheters who send these wonderful creations out into the world.

EugeneClarence

I don't really understand why that's sad. There's lots of cool stuff in thrift stores! We're not meant to hold onto all our material possesions forever. Sometimes you outgrow things or your style changes or you just need to simplify your life by giving away or selling things you don't really need. (Whoohoo, garage sales!) Chances are that someone will be thrilled to snap up those items for cheap at a thrift store! That's precisely why thrift stores are so great. Besides, a real crafter does it for the love of the craft, not the profit, and would be proud how their items have held up over time and happy to see a new person get to enjoy them!

Archived