Felted gift bag

yarnlover66

Here is a picture of a felted "gift bag" I made for my friend at work who is leaving our office for a new position. I was experimenting with making a ruffled top. I made the flower from the new CROCHET TODAY magazine. The yellow yarn didn't shrink up as much as the periwinkle yarn did at first. The bag is rather small. It probably could hold a soda can lying down. I bought a little angel wearing a dress the same colors as the bag to put inside. I gave it to her today and she cried. I came walking in with it and she said--That's for me, isn't it? (note the little matching tag I made)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/sonjasfarewellbag.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/sonjasfarewellbagtag2.jpg

I didn't like how the periwinkle yarn kind of took over the pretty pale yellow yarn. Makes it look worn and used, but I emphasized to her that I made it this week--brand new--not used.

I saw some felted bags/purses at a LYS and they had the little ruffles at the top so I asked them how they did that--well all their bags were knitted. But basically all you do is increase--which I'm sure you all know. :D It turned out better than I thought. At first the ruffle was so floppy and I was afraid it wouldn't firm up, but it did the more it shrunk. Had to wash it 3 times.

That is adorable! I haven't done anything with ruffles yet... They look great on your bag. What a nice friend you are to have made that for her!

Your bag is beautiful!! I don't think the color makes it look "used" at all! I actually think the periwinkle complements the yellow perfectly! Love the ruffle on it too! It is gorgeous and no wonder she loved it!!! Here's a cheer for you on a great job!!! :cheer

Archived