Not Your Mama's Crochet

flyinghooks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could find it in Indonesia... I know I can buy it online... but it's too expensive for Indonesian people...

I saw it on Amazon, but there was also a review on it that didn't sound too good.

Wow, I can't believe that review! :eek I saw 2 of the patterns that Amy posted on her blog that are supposed to be in the book, and they are lovely... I was considering getting the book just for the surplice sweater alone, which has a gorgeous "openwork" design. The reviewer seems to have a problem with openwork designs. Each to her own. I find them a little more interesting and more challenging than simply doing straight sc or dc. And as far as her dislike of the color combos, well, nobody says you MUST use the same as the book:shrug -- part of the fun is expressing your own self in a design...;)

Anyway, I am anxious to catch this in a bookstore so I can check it out for myself. And I'd rather get reviews from people on this board....:yes

I went to BN today to take a look at this book...both the buzz and the review peaked my curiousity. I had high hopes for this book, but I have to say I didn't think it broke too much new ground. It seems well written, and some of the patterns are nice, but I didn't loooove a lot of it. These days I'm really into wearables, and there weren't that many I was dying to make. The "Not your boyfriend's sweater" is cute and so are Robyn's patterns. But they use very expensive yarns...and while they suggest other yarns, they seem to imply the projects don't work as well without them. Also, the font of the patterns is a bit wonky, as the first letter of each line direction is written in pink uppercase cursive. So....I didn't buy it. I do think the amazon review is harsh, and I'm sure some people will love this book. This is just my two cents!

FYI...the patterns (to the best of my memory) include several scarves, 3-4 sweaters/cardigans, 2 shrugs, 3 bags, 1-2 hats, 1 rug, 1 skirt, and a few more I can't remember. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much everyone for your honest opinions. I haven't gotten to see the book at all myself! And I am dying to see the final product and what the other patterns are. I am super jealous that your B&N's have it!

As for yarns for my patterns, I'm always around to help pick out other yarn choices. I was super happy that I got to use Elann.com and Knit Picks yarn for this book, I think their prices are great for the unbelievable quality you get. But I can totally understand worrying about the cost of yarn, and being nervous that if you use something different it will come out weird. That's my life too!

Anyway, please please please, keep telling what you think. The critques are great! Thank you! And hopefully, my copy will arrive soon too!

Mine arrived a few days ago. Robyn might think I'm a fanatic, but it was worth the price just for her 2 patterns. That's what made me pre-order the book. I like the honesty about materials and price. I like the way they make suggestions for alternative yarns and honestly give their opinions about which yarns to try to use and which to avoid and WHY. It's simply the truth that acrylic blends will behave differently than natural fiber yarns.

You can always go give it a try in different yarns, maybe a basic acrylic ww will work for you. I've done that as well. I wanted to try Robyn's Crystal Lace Bolero from Crochetme. I wanted to use up some stash and used a basic acrylic. It's OK, you can see it on my blog if you want, but the ribbing is heavier than it would have been in Softwist. If I'd thought ahead I may have figured that out!

I usually ignore the instructional chapters and head straight for the patterns, but in this book I really like the chapter written on yarn & yarn substitution and as one who mostly makes wearables, and I loved the chapter on garment construction.

Anyway, I really like the book!

You make me blush, Ginny! Thank you crocheting my designs and for your feedback. I really can't wait to see the final book, and all those good tidbits Amy dropped in. very cool!

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at the book last Saturday when I was at Borders.

My first impression of the patterns was that they were somewhat reminiscent of Happy Hooker, which isn't necesarily a bad thing. They're sort of fun and kitschy...

Anyhow, the most valuable part of this book is by far her hints, instructions for crocheting...I thouhgt it was written well and there were some valuable tips in the book...I'd buy it for the instructional portion, but I could take or leave some of the patterns.

I saw this book a couple days ago. It's okay but not really my tastes. Didn't jump out at me as anything really different either. I did like the pea coat but not enough to buy a book for one pattern.

I didn't care for the instructions at the beginning. Didn't like the black and white feel until the few glossys. And I really didn't like the 'models' trying to be something they're not. Just show me the projects in a nice pose and don't try to be Vogue.

Just ordered it! Should be here next week!

I'm not one to usually order crochet books - most of the time I"ll like one or two patterns and I can't justify spending so much. But the samples I've seen already are WELL worth the $11.08 I'm spending purchasing it at walmart.com!

I'm REALLY looking forward to it!

I figured I'd get in with my two-cents worth on this book. I agree with the "modeling". I mean, come on, what's with the weird faces and poses? Just smile. And I don't particularly care for the black and white (and pink) layout, but I do love the patterns. I have every intention of making the peacoat, kimono, a couple of the scarves, and probably a hat or two. I'm very much into making attractive crocheted clothing because everyone in my family has already received scarves and blankets! I also noticed the rather high estimates for yarn cost, but I almost ALWAYS substitute, and so far (knock on wood) things have worked out. I try to keep in mind that to purchase from knitpicks or something like wool-ease (I think it has a nice drape even though it has a tendency to split while working with it) isn't THAT much more expensive--a lot of stores have sales and coupons--and if it means that I have to take ten friends in with me with ten coupons so that I can get the same dye lot, so be it! So anyway, I got off-track, I think it's definately worth buying for the garment patterns!

Wow I really like that Kimono wrap sweater. I am going to have to check it out. One thing I have been trying to do with my crochet budget dollars is when I see something that I like the direction the author/publisher/person is aiming it, I will buy it even if it is only one or two patterns I will use. Because I want to support the craft and that is one way I personally can do it. That is why I bought SNB and also Sweaterbabe's book. I probably won't make many things from either book but I want the publishers/ptb know that those are the kinds of things I want to see in crochet design. But I admit I am more of a pattern-aholic that a stashaholic.

One thing I have been trying to do with my crochet budget dollars is when I see something that I like the direction the author/publisher/person is aiming it, I will buy it even if it is only one or two patterns I will use. Because I want to support the craft and that is one way I personally can do it. That is why I bought SNB and also Sweaterbabe's book. I probably won't make many things from either book but I want the publishers/ptb know that those are the kinds of things I want to see in crochet design.

I think that's a wonderful thing to do.

For myself I do not have the money or the space to buy things I'll never use. Besides I always think if I don't buy it, it leaves it for someone else who truly wants. :)

Wow I really like that Kimono wrap sweater. I am going to have to check it out. One thing I have been trying to do with my crochet budget dollars is when I see something that I like the direction the author/publisher/person is aiming it, I will buy it even if it is only one or two patterns I will use. Because I want to support the craft and that is one way I personally can do it. That is why I bought SNB and also Sweaterbabe's book. I probably won't make many things from either book but I want the publishers/ptb know that those are the kinds of things I want to see in crochet design. But I admit I am more of a pattern-aholic that a stashaholic.

I'm with you!! As I said before I pre-ordered this book just for the Kimono sweater & the Pea Coat - her designs are worth it and I want the crochet publishers and designers to know that I will pay for good patterns.

I read an online interview with Jean Leinhauser which blew me away because her perception as a book publisher is that we crocheters won't buy any patterns, we only want free ones, we don't support our designers because we just want to find a free pattern version of everything and that the internet has been bad for crochet because it allows us / encourages us to do this. As frugal as I may be, I will support designers and I will buy decent patterns for fashionable garments!

I read an online interview with Jean Leinhauser which blew me away because her perception as a book publisher is that we crocheters won't buy any patterns, we only want free ones, we don't support our designers because we just want to find a free pattern version of everything and that the internet has been bad for crochet because it allows us / encourages us to do this. As frugal as I may be, I will support designers and I will buy decent patterns for fashionable garments!

i cant believe that, it is appauling... not everyone is a cheapskate because a few people are. i will admit im not one to buy individual patterns but i will buy leaflets and books etc and even if i dont like every pattern. i am all for free patterns but i do spend my money or books and the like. i am so annoyed i could spit in her general direction

I agree not everyone is cheap. I will say that I do get the same feeling she does though, that a lot of people are out for freebies.

I have my share, too. I also have magazines and books I've bought.

we don't support our designers

Maybe I'd support them more if I wasn't treated to a ton of ponchos and shawls every month. Especially those trimed in fun fur. Or half the other stuff that's put out there.

I read that Jean Leinhauser interview, too. What she says may have been more true in the past, but I think it's changing fast.

I'd much rather pay $5 for one pattern I really, really like (I've bought some of Etaria's patterns) than pay $15 for a book that has 3 patterns I sort of like and might make some day in the distant future.

Does that make sense? I do like Robyns patterns, though (esp. the kimono wrap sweater...it's lovely), and I have a full intention of checking out the book thoroughly at the bookstore.

Maybe I'd support them more if I wasn't treated to a ton of ponchos and shawls every month. Especially those trimed in fun fur. Or half the other stuff that's put out there.

Amen! I look long and hard through books trying to find ones that have at least a handful of patterns that I'll do. I don't know anyone who would want a poncho or shawl (least of all myself), so why would I buy a book or magazine that has a strong focus in that direction? And frankly, I'm getting tired of scarf patterns as well. Unless you're going to blow me away with some kind of amazing stitch combinations, plain old stripes I can figure out.

Archived