Caron's Soft Sage Circle Jacket CAL

donnalynn2

Hey Gretchen, I'll be your cheerleader too!!!! If I didn't have so many projects to catch up on, I'd make another in another yarn...but maybe later...still, I'll be checking in...

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far so good. Thanks to all the wonderful advice I've gotten by tagging along on this CAL (I guess I'm a C-after?) I made it past row 6 last night...without frogging row 6!! I did have to frog part of row 3...once I realized I wasn't supposed to increase the corners (too many preemie dresses influenced me there I think)!! How much farther will I get tonight? Hmmm. depends how long I'm on here...not long tonight methinks...I want to get back to it.

Good going, momcrochets! I haven't gotten back to this one yet, but hopefully I can start mine again this coming weekend. Keep it up! I found it really went pretty quickly.

Hi ladies, your cheerleader's here to cheer you on. FYI though, I'm flying out next Wednesday for the states and will only be able to access the internet for 30 to 60 minutes a day, if that for the following 3 weeks...I'll try to keep in touch...but I'm proud of you for doing what you've done so far and that you are still interested..."C-After..." I like that...

You can do it, I have faith...

I started on this jacket yesterday night and I'd love to join this CAL . I choose Lion's wool-ease in chocolate brown, I just finished row 11 without a problem thanks to all the advices I found here. I certainly couldn't have done it on my own.

This is my first project with a nice yarn, I had only use craft acrylic yarn before ans it is sooo much better with this one.

Let's go back to crochet :P

I never started a chain this way before, but I think like it!!! It seems to be more stretchy... and I kind of feel like I am getting more done quicker...

The jist of it is that you do a chain and sc back in that chain... you have to go through two of the loops on the side of the stitch... SO... by the time you are done with all of those stitches, you have your chain and first row done.

Someone earlier say you could just chain and then do a row of sc...

When I tried this I did not have the right gauge so I did it the way the pattern called for... Note, when you get to row 11 and join the corners, it will not work that way... You could just chain 5... but it would not look the way it is supposed to...

The first time I did this starting chain was for a jacket from a pattern in Crochet! magazine and I felt like I struck gold. Yirishrose, Happy Hooker's post is a good description of how to do the starting chain...if you still have a problem, let us know...

Welcome too to Little Audrey...your yarn choice sounds wonderful. I've used that Lion Brand Woolese for the same jacket from Crochet! magazine in Red is it's wonderful. Also used it for another sweater jacket pattern in like a steel blue...you will love the results I'm sure...

Cant any one point me to a site for help on starting chain?????????:think

It IS poorly written, but it does work. Ch 2, Insert hook into FIRST chain st, YO and pull up loop (like starting a sc, but don't finish it). Now, chain through that loop. You should still have 2 loops on your hook...so now y/o and pull through both loops. That's the starting ch/sc of the two. After that it gets easier.

step 2. Insert hook into the chain from the previous ch/sc combo. The explanation is bad, but what they want is for you to slide your hook under the two strands that make the braid look of the chain (not the bump on the back). Pull up a loop, and chain htrough that loop. Y/O again and finish like a sc....do a few and it will start to work.

My base ch/sc looked twisted but it went nice when I worked the next row. Others have just done a chain, and sc'd back...that works too...but this base chain thingy does help for the under-arm...though a basic chain would work there too...it just might pull out of shape easier. I hope my translation attempt helped. I would think some book would have pictures to follow, but I haven't found it.

Btw, count only the sc, for the length of the foundation. the ch/sc combo counts as one st.

Hope this helps.

Made it to the end of of the jacket...But I'm adding at the bottom of row 22 (making more rows before that row 23). Boy was it short!!!! And I'm making a Medium...the small looked like it'd be snug...I tried it on as I connected for the arm hole opening and it fit well... But I pulled a big oopsie...I didn't notice they called for the 6oz simply soft...and bought the size I usually see...2.5 oz...I bought 6, thinking that should give me enough to add extra length that others mentioned might be needed....WHOOPS! I'm on skein 3...no WAY am I getting 2 sleeves and ruffles out of what's left!!! I begged DH to stop by Hobby Lobby on his way home (it IS on the way) and try to find more for me...here's hoping he finds it.

I drooled over the Sifonia yarn I've seen....Maybe if I make another one, I'll do it in that...that would look SO nice.

Hey Momscrochet...I hope your DH is able to get you the yarn you need. I'm brutal with myself when I buy yarn now...I double check the oz., grams, meters, yards...'cause one time I went by grams only and just about ran out of yarn on a project because I didn't double check the meters or yards...especially since I usually have to make patterns bigger or if I'm doing a knit to crochet conversion, that's really important to know the yardage...

Glad you're doing good on this project though...keep up the good work!!!!

I'm usually better at checking the yarn too...hey, I work at a lys, I ought to know better!! But silly me, I didn't take the pattern with, or even write the info down. my bad. DH thrilled me...came home with enough more, right color, # dyelot et al! Such a good man. :hug

LadyofRoses, sounds pretty. :) all the notes have sure helped me out. Biggest tip for me...ignore the notes above the "Row #" instructions...they'll just mess you up...all they do is say what the next row is going to do, anyway.

Thankie Momcrochets and Eurolyons!

Well, I've made some decent progress as a whole. Thank goodness for all the tips here!

I missed the change to "V's" at the beginning and end of row 6 and had to :frog back 3 rows to fix it. Then things proceeded ok until I went to do row 13 and mathmatically for me going from 12 to 13 didn't add up to the number of stitches 13 said should be there. (Maybe I do fuzzy math!?) I ended up changing the beginning and end "V's" on 12 to the dc's, and incremented the numbers in the brackets up one. Then it worked out to the right number of V's before my first leaf on 13. :)

I hope to have the main body done today. :yay

I just started the ruffles...

This thing is HUGE on me... I think I am going to give it to my aunt... It will definitely fit her...

Some minor changes I made to the pattern that didn't help:

1. I actually used a J hook... and made a large... If I want to use that hook, I could easily get away with making a small... I do tend to crochet a little loose, but this pattern doesn't really need it.

2. I made six more rows at the bottom of the jacket... (LOVE the length)

BUT

3. when adding the 6 rows, I continued the leaf repeat pattern... SO... that added about four inches to the width... which is really where the problem is!!!

I could easily make a belt and tie it closed... but I would really like it to fit right... There is no way I am frogging this thing!!! It has taken way too long.

Me being the perfectionist I am have frogged enough already... :) My aunt is in her 50s... SO... I hope she likes it...

These ruffles are going to take awhile... I am only able to work on this thing a few minutes at home a day, and on the weekend...

Congratulations on the progress Happy_Hooker! I started my ruffles last night. It sure takes a lot longer to make leaves than to do a V!

I tried my jacket on for fit at this time, and it seems a bit big, mostly because of the leaves adding width in the back. I'm going to finish off the pattern the way it directs, but I'm thinking if it's too loose, I may make it as a small next time in a different color. I haven't figured out for sure if I'm going to like all the ruffles, but I figure I'll do the collar and I can always frog it back if I don't.

the ruffles do take a chunk of time...sounds like both of you are doing good though...I wanted seriously ruffly ruffles, like the picture shows, so for me it was worth it (and hey, shared a pic of it with my mom and my mom, who is a serious perfectionist loved the jacket...)

I think this would be lovely belted...

OK, I just finished putting all the ruffles on. I haven't done the final edging row w/ picots and such yet as I'm not sure if I want that or not. I think I mostly like the ruffles other than where the jacket pulls together in the front. Those ruffles take so long because they use almost as much yarn as the entire body of the jacket up to that point!! :eek Wow!

I do have a question about the fit of the jacket. It appears the front fits overall correctly, but the back seems to be rather baggy? Is that the way it's supposed to be? :think

I wish they showed a picture of the back on the website... That would have made the whole issue w/3 leaf repeats a lot easier on row 6!!! :)

I think it is supposed to be pretty formfitting... The way the leaves are spaced out every x- rows, that is what gives it shape... and for the big boned ladies like myself it actually gives you a waist!!! :)

I think next time, (for the one I make myself...) I will do the leaf increase every 8 rows instead of six... that will space out the increase a bit more... (and hopefully make my 5'2" self look a little taller!!! :) I think the top part fits fine... it is how much it inc at the bottom that is the problem...

Ultimately, I do like another six rows on the bottom though... it worked out great for me in the length.

The pattern itself said that the weight of the jacket would pull the jacket down and make it look relatively form fitting in the front, however, because of the leaf increases in the back (which the back of my jacket looks nothing like Donnalynn's (I think her back is how it's suppose to be design wise) it's got more of a draped effect in back, or baggy in the back...which for me with my caboose, is a good thing...

hi everyone,,i am a brand new member who just joined at wanted to say hi..i have a few things to say about the caron sweater...for the last week and a half or so i have been in touch on and off with a rep from the company who is working on it with me,,,even taking it home with her at night...there are so many mistakes in the pattern...she has even been in touch with the designer of the pattern (to no avail)..if it is any consolation,,between ignoring what i feel is wrong and adding what i think is right,,i do at least have MOST of the body done...and it is worth the effort...finding some seious problem today,(like a missing row of all things) i will be calling the company and speaking with her again tomorrow,,,if i learn anything, i sure will let everyone know...hang in there..this thing is sitting on the chair right now in a pile laughing at me,,,but i am gonna win..and finish it and wear it with pride!! (hopefully) donna...nice to meet all of you ... you all seem like a group of lovely ladies...

Archived