Sheila's Shaw

Tampa Doll

Sheila's Shaw

This is my friend Sheila from England or as she says Great Britton. We have been corresponding "Pen Pals" since I was 12 years old. I was in the Girl Scouts back in 1962 we started it as a Girl Scout project.

For about 44 years we have shared many letters, most by regular mail and lately last 5 years e-mails. We have shared through this Pen Pal experience many words of sadness, expectations, and some sorrow, but many more of joy, fun, and laughter.

I actually got to meet Sheila in person 8 years ago when she came to Florida and visited with us for a week. It was a thrill and a great pleasure to meet her and she was as much fun as her letters are to read.

Even though this is a small part of my life time experience it will always be one of the most meaningful to me. As I made her this, Sheila's Birthday Shaw, I crocheted into it all those memories of these past letters. I gave it one last hug and sent it off to her in England. She sent this picture back and I just had to share it as it makes me smile. Back in 1962 in my 12 year old mind she was like "The Queen of England" and still to today, to me, she looks equal to the part. lol

th_SheilaA.jpg (clickable) th_Sheila.gif

What a beautiful life long friendship! Truly one to be treasured forever!

A Royally beautiful shawl for a royally beautiful friend!

Ah Mary Jo, what a wonderful story about you and your pen-pal. It's very unusual to have a long-distance friendship last for such a long time and it's a testimony to your kindness and warm heart that the two of you have been pals for many years. Sheila looks beautiful in the shawl that was made for her with so much love and so many happy thoughts.:hug

I love the shawl!

I got my first pen pal and we have been writing and exchanging gifts for over a year. I hope to meet her next year when we go back to visit California. I hope she is in my life for many years to come just like your friend!!!

What a great story, especially since you kept in touch all these years. My girl scout penpals stopped when we all graduated. I know you 2 had an enjoyable time while she was here, how wonderful after all these years. The shawl is absolutely beautiful, and I'm sure you're in her thoughts often.

What a wonderful story. I, too, had a pen pal when I was a girl scout, many, many, MANY years ago. After a year we stopped writing and I don't even remember her name. Your story is a true testament to friendship. And the shawl is beautiful.

What a beautiful story. I have never had a penpal that long (Unless I can count my Grandma, in which case it would be about 30 years...) :P

Your friend Sheila is lovely, and so is the shawl. She does look like royalty with it draped across her shoulder. :)

Tina

Glad you all liked the shaw and the story.

That was the first time I worked with the ticker tape yarn from Moda Dea . I got it on sale at Michaels, when they were getting rid of it. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. It is really soft.

I told Sheila that I put the picture here and she said she didn't mind. She said everyone at work has tried the shaw on and they can't believe it is hand made. (Chest puffing out here) :lol

The patten is real easy and it can be found on the Moda Dea web site.

Thanks you all for your nice comments:hook

Tampa Doll ... that is absolutely beautiful, and your story is just heartwarming ... you two have a very special friendship. I looked through your photo album .. your work is stunning .. and I have to ask .. where did you find the tinkerbell and princesses patterns? I have three daughter's that would just absolutely go nuts for them.

Archived