Dirty Jobs!

CityGirl

Next week on Dirty Jobs, they'll be showing the shearing and processing of Alpaca fur! Not crochet per se, but close enough that I thought sharing would be worthwhile for anyone who's interested. :hook It's one of my favorite shows on TV so now that we're adding alpaca into the mix, well, :manyheart

It'll air on Tuesday, 8/15 at 9pm EST on the Discovery Channel. :)

Believe it or not just yesterday my son and I took a ride (quad and motorcycle) around our neighborhood and the people that have Alpacas were finally outside so I stopped and they invited us in. I was so excited they are so cute. She also had 2 toddlers and 1 2 week old baby, I was in paradise. She had just shaved them about 2 days ago so of course she let me touch it and oh is it soft.

Ok sorry this is totally off topic but I saw a commercial for that show where they squeezed poo out of baby chicks I swear it made me so sick that I can never ever watch that show :yuck

I may be totally incorrect on this (I never raised baby chicks, but have raised numerous other types of babies). Many times w/ very small animals, their eleminator system doesn't fully work. If the mother animal is around, it is part of her job to help stimulate it to work (dogs and cats will lick the butt ends to get the sphincter to relax and release, as an example). So it may not be he was squeezing the baby chick but helping it in that way. It sounds a bit gross, yes, but makes me REALLY glad that human babies don't require us to do that to them.

Sandy

We inheritied my kitty and his 2 brothers when they were only a week and a half, maybe 2 weeks old. The vet had us wipe their bottoms with tissues...lol. It was gross...but that's babies for you!

I love that show and can't wait!

I may be totally incorrect on this (I never raised baby chicks, but have raised numerous other types of babies). Many times w/ very small animals, their eleminator system doesn't fully work. If the mother animal is around, it is part of her job to help stimulate it to work (dogs and cats will lick the butt ends to get the sphincter to relax and release, as an example). So it may not be he was squeezing the baby chick but helping it in that way. It sounds a bit gross, yes, but makes me REALLY glad that human babies don't require us to do that to them.

Sandy

What they were actually doing was sexing the chicks (female chicks are worth more than males, so when the hatchery sells them, they need to know). IIRC, male chicks have a 'bump' and females do not. So in order to figure out whether they're male or female, you either have to stick your pinky finger up there to feel the bump, or squeeze the poo out so you can see the bump. :eek

Sandy

It's one of my family's favorite shows! We love all the messes Mr. Rowe gets into. And now bring in the sheep! What could be better!

Linda:manyheart

I can't wait to see it tonight! I'm completely hooked on this show, about as much as Mythbusters. I work in a dirty job (construction materials testing- okay, not me, the guys in the lab) and I've tried to get one of the technicians I work with to film a little scene to send in to have him come to my lab.

Holy heck! :eek Well, anyone who watched it last night will know that the alpaca segment wasn't on there (even though my cable listings still insist it was!) Those hippos sure were fun, though, huh?

It appears the alpaca shearer is the featured Dirty Job on next week's (8/23) episode. :)

Couldn't sleep last night and watched Dirty Jobs. The eposide that came on at 1am was the one with the Alpaca on, it was so funny!!!:lol I didn't know that they spit and OMG it comes straight from their stomach, the look on his face was just to much.

I saw it last night, it was very good and funny. I looked up the show listing it said that it will be on again. At 7pm est (indiana) on 9-04-06. I hope this helps.

were you laughing as much as I was when he said "that's not the tail!!:eek"!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost fell out of my chair laughing :rofl :rofl

Archived