A show and HELP with doily (Updated, added blocked pic)

nucki

Here's my first doily, still in progress but nearly done.

I'm using this pattern, but I found the picot stitches on the border waaaaaaaaaay too difficult with this thread. After literally being reduced to tears, I frogged what I had and decided to just do a shell border. At least THAT I KNOW how to do.

(Pictures are clickable)

th_FirstDoilyInProgress1.jpg

th_FirstDoilyInProgress2.jpg

Here's the part where I need help. Ya see how it's doing this upside-down bowl thing? Will that straighten out with blocking, or did I make some horrible mistake and not realize it? I've never ACTUALLY blocked anything in my life, so I just don't know one way or the other.

And what do y'all think of the shell border? Does it look okay with the rest of it? Or does it make it all too "busy?" This is my first doily ever, if you don't include the ONE doily I TRIED making when I was in my late teens. (Over a decade ago.)

And finally, how does it look in general? I don't expect to have the caliber of work that KatchKan (for example) has the first time, but if I completely suck... tell me.

Thanks! :hook

th_FirstDoilyDone2.jpgHere it is blocked. I am SO relieved it straightened out!!! Now I can actually say I CAN make doilies! It only took me something like 13 years since my cousin Celia tried to teach me but hey... better late than never! :lol

It should lay a lot better with blocking. A lot of doilies will not look good till blocked. Blocking isn't that difficult so don't worry about it. Your shell border looks fine. Picots can be tough till you get used to them.

I haven't crocheted doilies and I applaud your efforts. Hope the blocking corrects the bowl effect. I loved the colors.

:cheer If you have carpet, lay a thick towel on the floor and carefully pin right through the carpet, stretching all the points out evenly.

If you pin the center down first, then pin one side then the opposite side, going right around, stretching a little. The center should go down as it is not too bad.

Now spray with warm water and lay another towel on top and place something heavy over that and leave until dry.

It is easer to get rid of a bowl shape than it is to smooth out the edge if it is too loose.

If you dont have carpet, just pin it to the towel.

If you would rather, you could do the last row again, putting an extra CH at regular intervals so it will sit flat on its own.

Very pretty and it looks very fine so I am impressed and you should be very proud of yourself.

Good luck.

Colleen.:hug

I think it looks fine! Great job for a first doily- and especially in variegated I don't know if I could have done one in variegated for my first one. I have been crocheting for 17+ years and I still have doilies do that to me. And, I know how to do a picot, but I still think they are a pain. (Although the end result is nice...) Good job!! :clap

Tina

I know how to do a picot, but I still think they are a pain.

I had to look up how to do a picot, and I honestly think that if I were doing it with a thicker yarn and a bigger hook, it wouldn't have given me such a headache as it did! As a matter of fact, I'm seriously considering using it as an edging to one of the baby blankets I'm due to make soon. But for THIS doily... fuggedaboudit. Uh-uh. AIN'T gonna happen.

I'm finally finished with it. I pulled and stretched on it a bit, and it's already looking better. I'll block it tomorrow (it's past my beddy-bye time here) and post some pics.

I keep looking at it and thinking of my cousin, Celia. She would have been so proud of me if she'd seen it!

I think you have done a marvelous job for your first doily :clap, and I think the shell pattern looks great. It really does help "finish" it off. I think picots are a bit fussy myself.

I've done more doilies than I can count. Some have bowled and some haven't. The main factors I found was how tight I crocheted (and I am a really tight stitcher) and how many stitches are in the middle. The tighter my center, and the more stitches, the more it bowled. If you do one of those really lacy ones, you'll find you probably won't have the bowl problem.

One other thing that I do when I block something like a doily (and I pin it to an old towel on an old sofa) I spritz it lightly with some diluted starch. The blue stuff that comes in the jug. It's more water than starch, but it seems to help a little bit. And I clean the spray bottle right away of course. ;) Made the mistake of not cleaning it only once.

As you do more doilies, you'll find that you get looser with the thread as you get more comfortable working with it. Keep it up! You're doing great.

A good way to practice some of the more fussy stitches is to work snowflakes. They incorporate all of the stuff, and if you make enough, you have ornaments for the tree. :yes

for your first doily you have done a brilliant job. love the hearts and the edging looks great. it should lay flat with blocking. sometimes my work goes like that and i have been crocheting for about 27 years, i find its because i have either used the wrong hook or done my stitches way too tight.

well done. Now you have done your first doily you will be hooked, pardon the pun, i know i am hooked to doilies and i have two on the go at the moment for CAL's in another group, i am using thread for one and yarn on the other. This is a first time for me making a doily with yarn but so far so good.

Keep up the good work.

It looks great, and I'll bet you feel great too! :hook And good for you for sticking to the job and not giving up. :box The edging looks just fine. You know how many people would just have thrown up their hands and given up? You stuck in there and look at what you accomplished! Three cheers for you. (and your beautiful doily) :cheer

What a great job! I'm really nervous about thread crochet because the few times I've tried I had a terrible problem with my tension. But you did such a marvelous job you're inspiring me to try it again. Well done! :)

I think its WONDERFUL!!! My first one rippled so much I NEVER thought it would all stretch out and become a real doily!!! Almost cried! It was just a big ruffled mass! But the wonderful people here (only a couple months ago, actually) reassured me, and I continued. Need to put a pic up, but time...

Anyway, I think you did a GREAT job. And so creative to put your own border! It is something to be proud of!

Archived