Cupcake's Fan Bookmark

LoveHime

Those are lovely, and what gorgeous thread! What is it? I think I am catching cupcake's obsession with variegated thread. . .:rofl

I love this bookmark and the colors everyone is using are beautiful.

This one like a couple of the others reminds me of Strawberry:strawberr marshmellow:icecream icecream.:lol

This one like a couple of the others reminds me of Strawberry:strawberr marshmellow:icecream icecream.:lol

Oh no! Ice cream again! :lol Gorgeous color, though! Makes me want to make another bookmark in that color! :hook

Gee that has turned out well... reminds me of musk, or strawberry ripple.

Don't the variegiations look effective? I am pleased people are using the pattern. The headache was worth it! :manyheart

I made your pattern too, cupcake, but the only small quantities of variegated thread I could find were "craft thread" similar in weight to embroidery thread. It turned out to be too heavy and my bookmark, while pretty, was too big! I'll have to try again with a smaller size though I hate to buy a big ball for one bookmark!

You can find the original thread here

:eek :eek NOTE:eek :eek Pay attention to the country the pattren is written in. The UK/Australian instructions are first and the American insturctions are last...don't be like me; I followed the UK pattern when I was supposed to be following the American..

OK, here goes.

Now for the uninitated, this is the first pattern I have tried to write up. Not only that I did a conversion for the Americans out there (lol). Now my poor brain is sore, and I hope I got it right. I think I originally got this pattern from a kind lady in a nursing home where I once worked. I worked it from one she gave me. If it is published somewhere, I cant find it. So I hope there is no copyright on this. In any case I am not worth suing, unless you want my kids and enviable stash of variegated yarns.

Fan Bookmarks: origin from a kind lady in a Gold Coast nursing home.

Coats 40 crochet cotton ( I have no idea what this is elswhere )

Hook 1.25mm

Australian Instructions. ( or English if you are a pom )

Leaving a 10cm thread join make 8 ch and join with a sl st to form a ring.

Fan 1

Row 1. Into loop work: (1dc 2ch) counts as first treble, 13 tr (14 in all) TURN.

Row 2. Work (1dc 2ch) into first treble, work 1ch, 1tr into each tr of row 1. (= 14tr and 13 1ch spaces) TURN

Row 3. Working into 1 chain space of row 2, make (1dc, 2ch, 1dc) 10 times. (This forms a picot). Into the next (11th space) work 1dc, then 5ch , skip 3 spaces and work 1dc into 2nd ch of first tr post of row 2. TURN. (This completes fan 1)

Fan 2

Row 4. Into 5ch space work (1dc 2ch) counts as first tr, 13tr (14 in all) then skip 1 picot of 3rd row and then 1dc into next picot 2 ch space TURN.

Row 5. Work (1dc 2ch) into first tr, work 1ch, 1tr into each tr of row 4. (= 14tr and 13 1ch spaces) TURN

Row 6. (Same as row 3) Working into 1ch space of row 5 make (1dc, 2ch, 1dc) 10 times. (This forms a picot). Into the next (11th space) work 1dc, then 5ch , skip 3 spaces and work 1dc into 2nd ch of first tr post of previous row. (This completes fan 2) TURN.

Fan 3

Row 7. (Same as row 4) Into 5ch space work (1dc 2ch) counts as first tr, 13tr (14 in all) then skip 1 picot of 3rd row and then 1dc into next picot 2 ch space TURN.

Row 8. Work (1dc 2 ch) into first treble, work 1ch, 1tr into each tr of row 7. (= 14tr and 13, 1ch spaces) before turning work 1dc into 7th picot of row 3 of fan 1. This is now the 7th from the left or 4th from the right. TURN

Row 9. (Same as row 3) Working into 1ch space of row 5 work (1dc, 2ch, 1dc) 10 times. (This forms a picot). Into the next (11th space) work 1dc, then 5ch , skip 3 spaces and work 1dc into 2nd ch of first tr post of previous row. (This completes fan 3) TURN.

Continue in this way until you have made 8 fans.

On last row make a picot in all 13 spaces, then secure with 1 dc into the 7th picot of row 3 of fan 6. This is now the 7th from the left or fourth from the right. Cut thread and weave in end.

To make a tassel cut 5 threads each 20cm long. Fold in half and loop through starting loop. I include the beginning thread with this.

Spray starch and iron to make stiff.

Then have a nice cup of tea with a bickie and feel happy....

American instructions. ( or non Australian, non English)

Leaving a 4inch thread join make 8ch and join with a sl st to form a ring.

Fan 1

Row 1. Into loop work: (1sc 2ch) counts as first dc, 13 dc (14 in all) TURN.

Row 2. Work (1sc 2ch) into first sc, work 1ch, 1dc into each dc of row 1. (= 14dc and 13 1ch spaces) TURN

Row 3. Working into 1 chain space of row 2, make (1sc, 2ch, 1sc) 10 times. (This forms a picot). Into the next (11th space) work 1sc, then 5ch, skip 3 spaces and work 1sc into 2nd ch of first dc post of row 2. TURN. (This completes fan 1)

Fan 2

Row 4. Into 5ch space work (1sc 2ch) counts as first dc, 13 dc (14 in all) then skip 1 picot of 3rd row and then 1sc into next picot 2ch space TURN.

Row 5. Work (1sc 2ch) into first dc, work 1ch, 1dc into each dc of row 4. (= 14dc and 13 1ch spaces) TURN

Row 6. (Same as row 3) Working into 1ch space of row 5 make (1sc, 2ch, 1sc) 10 times. (This forms a picot). Into the next (11th space) work 1sc, then 5ch , skip 3 spaces and work 1sc into 2nd ch of first dc post of previous row. (This completes fan 2) TURN.

Fan 3

Row 7. (Same as row 4) Into 5ch space work (1sc 2ch) counts as first dc, 13 dc (14 in all) then skip 1 picot of 3rd row and then 1sc into next picot 2ch space TURN.

Row 8. Work (1sc 2 ch) into first dc, work 1ch, 1dc into each dc of row 7. (= 14dc and 13, 1ch spaces) before turning work 1sc into 7th picot of row 3 of fan 1. This is now the 7th from the left or 4th from the right. TURN

Row 9. (Same as row 3) Working into 1ch space of row 5 work (1sc, 2ch, 1sc) 10 times. (This forms a picot). Into the next (11th space) work 1sc, then 5ch , skip 3 spaces and work 1sc into 2nd ch of first dc post of previous row. (This completes fan 3) TURN.

Continue in this way until you have made 8 fans.

On last row make a picot in all 13 spaces, then secure with 1sc into the 7th picot of row 3 of fan 6. This is now the 7th from the left or fourth from the right. Cut thread and weave in end.

To make a tassel cut 5 threads each 4inches long. Fold in half and loop through starting loop. I include the beginning thread with this.

Spray with starch and iron to make stiff.

Have a cup of coffee and a cookie and feel happy.

Now this hasn't been tested, and my poor head is nearly brain dead after the Australian-English-American conversion. I hope they work out, if not let me know.

(Crikey this post has taken me all day to prepare, and over an hour to post!)

Have fun!

Crikey gee they look so pretty.... I do like all the colour variations. They are fun to do...:D

Lovehime said:

:eek :eek NOTE:eek :eek Pay attention to the country the pattren is written in. The UK/Australian instructions are first and the American insturctions are last...don't be like me; I followed the UK pattern when I was supposed to be following the American..

You silly billy! How did they look???

You know I always have to check where the pattern comes from so I can get my head into translation mode.. Every so often I get confused, particularly with the double crochet thing.

I love this bookmark and the colors everyone is using are beautiful.

:eek Is there really such a flavor? :icecream It sounds yummy.

I think your bookmarks turned out great I saw these on someones' blog and have been wanting to try them ever since.

Tina

Archived