A crocheted TABLE!

Adri

I couldn't believe it when I first saw this crocheted table! It is so beautiful and totally original... I wonder how sturdy/useable it would be... and also if it would be possible to make it myself... I love the way light shines through it and makes patterns on the floor

Wow... I didn't look at this post earlier because the vision I had of a crocheted table was, well, not like what that looks like :lol :lol :lol

That is stunning. I, too, wonder how many coats of resin you need to get it sturdy.

Great idea...

That's a neat table. I wonder how many coats of resin it needs.

That is stunning. I, too, wonder how many coats of resin you need to get it sturdy.

I'm not even sure what resin is... Is it something that you can just paint on? And then it gets hard? How hard? Where do you buy it? Maybe this table is easier to make than I thought! 6 big thread crochet squares... Hmmm...

Adri, I've saved that picture to my "inspiration" file. I think I'd actually like to try that some day. I'm sure that you could use some type of paint-on plastic or polyurethane. It would be worth making a small model to see if it would hold up.

Um, I've seen something like this before, and this is technically easier to make than you think -- you don't need to try to stiffen thread crochet to the point that it's got real structural integrity.

The table isn't constructed out of crochet and then stiffened with resin. It's a perfectly clear acrylic resin cube with crochet fitted around the outside of it. Because it's unscratched and perfectly clear and seamless, the solid table disappears in the picture.

I don't know where you'd get the cube; it's a real mod piece of furniture design that, even though it's simple (and maybe -because- it's so simple), is usually priced out of the reach of the normal human, like high-end MOMA design stuff.

Couldn't find anything like it on a quick eBay search. For all I know, the artist may have cast it himself.

Anyway, I could be wrong, but this is my bet for how it's constructed.

--Elissa

Elissa, the catalog page states that the materials are crochet cotton and epoxy resin. They don't mention acrylic, although your idea is certainly a possibility. I've been in shops that offer acrylic pieces made to order and I doubt that a cube would be too expensive. I guess you could make a crocheted 5-sided box and fit it over the cube. It wouldn't be stain-proof though.:(

I have to agree with Elissa on this-it's a cube with a crochet cover, and you can put epoxy resin in a mold---it will harden into the molds shape. I think it's a beautiful and cool idea, thanks for sharing! :hook

Archived