Giant 'oops' with my baby blanket... problem solved update with pic post 13

tinkerpuppet

Question

So I tried Deneens bubble baby blanket as my first 'real' project (other than a dishcloth!) because it look so soft and everyone commented on how quickly it worked up (I'm no speed demon, but I think I'm ok speed wise).

But as I'm working on it, its coming out really hard and heavy, not soft and cozy. And its taking forevvvvver! I've easily put in 10hrs on this thing (again I'm not that fast, but this seemed excessive!), and I'm not half done yet. I was getting frustrated and thinking of putting it away for awhile, when last night I decided to change hooks for one row, just as a lark.

Well guess what? I was using the wrong hook!! I didn't know what a 'N' hook was, so I just used my favorite hook, a 5.00mm. No wonder it was so darn tight and hard. I did a row using an 8.00mm (the largest I have) and the difference is incredible!!

So now I have a quandry. Do I pull it all out and start over (I really don't want to do this as I've already used 1.5 skeins of each colour), do I finish it off at its current size, find a use for it later and start a new one, or do I just carry on and finish the rest of it with a bigger hook?

At least I know now that it really is as soft and cozy as it looks in the pics I've seen!

19 answers to this question

Thanks so much for your replies. I was thinking about it while I was out today, and also decided to frog it (ha ha I love that term!). But when I got home, the decision was taken out of my hands.

Usually when working on a project, when I'm not working on it I keep it in my ottoman (its a storage cube). But because I was so unhappy with it, I had left it out on my couch. When I got home, one of my cats had claimed it for his own.

So I have just completed my first 'Cat Bed'!! I'll have to catch a picture of him using it.

Thanks so much though. Tomorrow I'm off to get a proper sized hook and the yarn to start again...

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

:cheer There does not look to be too much wrong with your blanket.

Maybe you could have called it a floor rug and never admitted it was not quite right.

The cat is very happy so it is a case of, "Alls well that ends well."

:cheer He is probably going to claim a few of your items you make.

My cat will sleep on anything if you leave it lying around.

:hook We look forward to the next version of this rug.

Colleen.

:clapIsn't great how some things just work themselves out?! That is a really cute picture of your cat! Glad to see the blankie will be put to good use!:lol

Well here is my other cat, Willow, enjoying her new chair cover. Our boy who discovered it first won't sit on the chair, but I wasn't going to leave it out on our couch for him forever, so Willow has also happily claimed it, just look at that blissed out expression :c9

Ciaran011.jpg

I would have to agree with everyone else. It drives me more crazy to have a mistake in the project. I always know about it. Also, as the others stated, if it's not useable as is, all the better to pull lit out and learn from the mistake. Believe me, it's not one you'll likely make again! :eek

I have to agree, tear it out or you'll either never finish it or hate it forever.

If you try to finish it with a bigger hook, in my opinion it'll look weird.

I also agree about it being a waste of yarn if you don't rip it out. I've ripped out much larger things. I've ripped out something things more than three times. It happens to all of us for some reason or another. I still have to tear out and start over even things that are supposed to be easy.

:hug

:think What is the difference between pulling that one back and re-using the yarn and buying a new lot of yarn and making that up?

:think As I see it, the difference is the cost of the yarn and that is an important difference.

:hook If you complete it as it is, you will never use it and it will haunt you forever.

:hook Remember we all have UFOs. This is what they usually are.

:hook If you pull it back and start again, you will be much happier and more likely to enjoy your work in the future.

:hook Here is a motto for you "If in doubt, pull it out"

:hook If you think it is not quite right, it usually isnt so it is best to stop and fix it right now.

:think These are words from one who has been there, done that and learned the hard way.

Have fun.

Colleen.

PS, I sincerely sympathise with you but this is the cure.:hug

been there...done that!!

frog it...reuse that yarn to go into the "new" blanket. i think of frogging as punishment for not paying closer attention to the pattern i.e. screwing up...next time you sit down with another pattern, you'll remember what happened last time and might pay better attention!! :D

at least that's what i tell myself...have to wait and see if it will actually work someday!

I agree with the others. I would frog it and start over. It's no fun working on some thing you don't like. And crocheting is supposed to be fun.

Tamar

To me, the act of crocheting is at least 50% (more like probably 80%) of why I crochet so frogging is no big deal :2frog :2frog :2frog I've frogged an awful lot of stuff!

I think it really depends on whether you'd actually use this stiff scratchy thing you made.

:hook

Well, I hate frogging anything that may be useable, so just ask yourself whether you could use it perhaps for another purpose. Do you have pets? it could become a pad for them maybe?:)

I know you don't want to hear this... but I would frog the whole thing and start again. Why? Because if you find it "stiff and hard" and don't really like it, chances are you will NEVER find a use for it. And what a waste of yarn that will be! Whereas if you start over (and just chalk up the wasted time to a learning experience; we all have them) you will end us with something that you will truly enjoy.

Whatever you decide, you really shouldn't switch hooks at this point. You will end up with a misshaped blanket. The gauge will change substantially and it will end up rather funky looking; more like a trapezoid than a square!

Good luck... and we'll be waiting for a post of the finished product! :lol

Archived