Do You "Yarn-over?"

I am a hook over or under which ever way you care to explain it. Always have and always will, can't imagine doing it any other way. I think it has to be faster as there is less motion. Now I am curious what our speed crocheters do..:think

I tend to over-analyze things, and I tend to take things very literally. So while deciding that I'm not a hook over/hook under person, I really am not a yarn over person either. True, my hook goes underneath the yarn and catches it to bring it back through. But I think most of you are assuming that this involves an extra action, which in my case, it doesn't. I use a pencil grip on the hook. My left hand does not hold the thread up and away from my work as many books picture, though. It is held close and parallel to my work. When I slip the hook through a stitch, it goes smoothly across my left index finger, sliding naturally under the thread. And when I bring it back through the stitch, it has smoothly hooked over the thread, much the way a knitting machine's hooks do. This does not in any way slow me down. I believe I could hold my own in a speed contest.

I hook under, i.e. i hold the hook as I would a knife and then I move the hook under the yarn and catches it by turning the hook clockwise und then pull the hook back.

:hook

I hook under, i.e. i hold the hook as I would a knife and then I move the hook under the yarn and catches it by turning the hook clockwise und then pull the hook back.

That is the best description of how I do it. I never really thought about it before. Though, I do a simlar thing when I knit (contentail style). I usually hold the yarn steady and catch the yarn with the knitting needle. Though, sometimes I have to do the "yarn over"... But that just slows things down. I guess that's 'cuase I hold the yarn the same when I knit and when I crochet.

I checked last night while I was crocheting, and my previous answer is only half right. I wrap the yarn over the hook before I go into a stitch for hdc, dc, etc. But after I go through the stitch, I move the yarn and the hook at the same time and somewhere in the middle the hook catches the yarn. (Does that make sense?)

I am not sure exactly what is hooking over as opposed to yarning over, but I know I don't do it like Nefermiw. I don't turn the hook counterclockwise. The hook never faces directly to my chest, but doesn't face the floor either. It's at some angle mid-way. I bring my hook under the yarn and to the back. But it's not that it's only my right hand moving the hook that does all the work. I also see that in addition to moving my right hand, my left wrist moves to bring the yarn forward as well. I mean, both my right hand is hooking under *while* my left hand with finger is yarning over. Surely this must be the fastest way, right? Instead of a yo which would take, say 0.2 seconds or a hook under only which would take the same amount of time to go the same distance, if you do both at the same time, each only has to go 1/2 way, meaning you get to the same point in only, in our example, 0.1 seconds.

Um, can anyone tell why I never was the best in the class at math. hheeheehee.:lol

. . . But after I go through the stitch, I move the yarn and the hook at the same time and somewhere in the middle the hook catches the yarn. (Does that make sense?)

Yeah, Stacey, it does make sense. It's what I was trying to describe just above. Except I do this all the time.

This is a very eye-opening question for me -- I watched my crocheting stitch by stitch and it turns out that I hook over to begin the new stitch, and yarn over to finish the stitch. So, I end up doing both on each stitch.

Mine is similar - On the first pull-through (when I first insert the hook through the work), I hook over the yarn, rotate the hook so the curved part is facing me, and as I'm pulling it through my stitch I turn the hook downward, then back to the up position once it clears the stitch. Then I do a combination of yarn-over and hook-under for the next part, although there isn't a whole lot of movement involved on either part - it's like they are "meeting halfway", if that makes sense. :think

I had to watch myself work a few double crochet stitches to figure all this out! :lol

:hook Hook under is really easier to do than hook over.

The action is very small and as someone else said, it is both hands making lots of little moves that gets the work moving smoothly and quickly.

:hook If you move the hook in a clock-wise direction, you get a much smaller stitch than if you go in an anti-clockwise direction.

When you go Anti-clockwise, the yarn is going further around the hook so make a slightly bigger stitch.

:think Do you Ch in an anti or Clock-wise direction?

I suppose that if you have not actually sat down with someone to each you, it is easy to pick up habits which are not necessarily bad but which are making your job harder.

If anyone would like me to, I can make a video with my Digital Camera, of what I am talking about, and e-mail it to you so you can see what I mean.

We have made other videos with the camera so there is no reason why I cant do one of Crocheting as long as my husband is willing to hold the camera.

Let me know.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

PS It is now 12.26am Wednesday March 1 so I need to get to bed.:hug

actually there is such a thing as yarn over for crochet. it is the correct way to crochet(thats what i have to teach), now on to the way i crochet lol. i yarn over, because i was taught that way 43 almost 44 years ago, by a wonderful swedish woman who taught me to not only knit and crochet, but also as my 3rd grade teacher, that does not mean that to yarn over is correct for everyone, just as people who hold their hooks like a knife(european way)there are many ways to crochet as there is many ways to knit.; if you follow how you enjoy it, in my opinion, thats the best way possible for you . others might disagree, but ya know, its a free country and we can all agree on one thing. crochet is what we enjoy or we would not be members of this awesome place. there now i have said my 2 cents worth, (or maybe 3 inflation you know):manyheart :manyheart

Archived