lame attempt at a drop spindle

jimbo

th_dropspindle.jpg

I made this from a chunk of log (for the whorl), a whittled piece of cedar for the shaft, and a bent paper clip for the hook. Its about 12" long, the whorl is about 3" in diameter, and i carved one shallow notch in the perimeter of the whorl.

1. am i missing anything?

2. IF i ever get a lathe, would something like this sell? (of course they would look a bit nicer than this one, but i'd try to leave a bit of bark on for the rustic aesthetic.

3. would it make sense to have hooks at the top AND bottom so it could be used as a top or bottom whorl spindle?

I'm finding drop spindles aren't so intuitive as hooks, so i'd appreciate any coaching you can offer.

Thanks!

Jimbo

Thanks! And another thought.... what if i made a hook at the end kinda like a crochet hook only with a wedge shaped gullet (open toward the whorl), instead of a hook, that you could wedge the yarn into. Twould eliminate the hook allow the spindle to be all wood. Or would it create too much wobble?

Oh i gotcha, Three... you've a way with words. The hook allows you to center the thread, wrap it so it holds (no matter what thread size) and let go easily when you want it to.

I guess i didn't like the hokey brass store bought hanger hook idea much. Maybe in my meanderings i'll come across something that will work better and not look so... oh.... Wallmart (begging forgiveness from those who shop there).

Thanks! And another thought.... what if i made a hook at the end kinda like a crochet hook only with a wedge shaped gullet (open toward the whorl), instead of a hook, that you could wedge the yarn into.

That's called a notched spindle and it's another way to make it. It does often introduce a bit of wobble to the spindle, but nothing too awful typically. Some people never get the hang of a notched spindle, but other people swear by them.

Nice lookin' spindle, Jimbo!!

would it make sense to have hooks at the top AND bottom so it could be used as a top or bottom whorl spindle?

That's called a notched spindle and it's another way to make it.

My spindle [ http://www.schachtspindle.com/Products/Spinning/spinning_hand_spindles.htm ] is a little bit of both... used as a top whorl, it utilizes the hook... then as a bottom whorl, you just wrap so the yarn's stuck in the little ridge, and it won't move. Maybe you can incorporate some of their ideas?

I've really only used it as top whorl, though; wrapping for the bottom whorl takes too long.

i'll check those links. Such a simple tool, a drop spindle, but so beautifully functional. Kinda like crochet hooks, eh? I really want to start making some, but for now i have promises to keep, and miles to go before i sleep.

well thanks, but its not too purty up close. Nonetheless i'm getting good ideas from you kind folk and i'm beginning to consider investing my hook $$ in a lathe so i can expand my product line a bit.

i would order aspindle from you if you decided to make them... maybe you can make niddy noddy's too? then i would buy both. I think it would be something neat to have better than buying another one from a random seller on :ebay

:)

Hi Jimbo i have used a drop spindle with a notch no problem and a hook to me it makes no difference so maybe you could make both and let the buyer choose. If they aren't sure send them the hook one. You definately don't want 2 hooks on them ask your buyers which they prefer or just add a loose hook in the package so they can put it on the end they want.Leaving some bark on could be a problem with a top whorl as the wool will rub as it goes over the whorl to the hook. Good luck with your new lathe when you get it.

ok Angela, I'll show you my ignorance. What's a "niddy noddy"? (oh i'm so ashamed!)

Hi Jimbo!!

before tonight, I have never seen a dropped or notched spindle, even though that sounds like I'm a little lame!!

how big are they?? & how much thread, or yarn can you get on them??:think

just askin' , because it seems real interesting!!!

Jimbo, like I said before, you have talent!!!!

Have A whittlin' Day!!

Carol:yay

welp Carol... i don't really know... my spindle is about a foot long, and its suppose to operate like the one in the video clip at

http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/HowToDropspin.html

but i've never used it.. saw one being used once and got interested.

well thanks, but its not too purty up close. Nonetheless i'm getting good ideas from you kind folk and i'm beginning to consider investing my hook $$ in a lathe so i can expand my product line a bit.

Out of curiousity How much does a good lathe run these days?

I haven't a clue about the cost of woodworking tools anymore since my days at "the sweatshop" in my early 20's.

Out of curiousity How much does a good lathe run these days?

They're actually not too expensive -- $200+ for a decent one. This assumes you have something to put it on -- the ones with an attached stand are much more expensive ($600+).

• 8 months later...

Nope, Gran, they're still a twinkle in my eye. I think about them often but no time right now to make some. What a world.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived