Shrug at Macy's

Yesterday while walking through Macy's I spotted this shrug thing, It was weird never saw anything like it and thought to my self, this is just wrong. Well I found the pattern today on Crochet Pattern Central ( Shrugs) then name of it Pink Fringe Slouchy Shrug. Why why would any one want a glob of yarn behind them, I just do not understand this. What is the purpose, alot of wasted yarn, with no use. This is just wrong, or maybe I am just not in with it. Any thoughts on this. :think

I don't get it either. I've seen some shrugs that are longer and more like sweaters and can be nicely and decently layered. But mainly, I think it's something to do with kids trying to get away with wearing less and less and this is just one more way. One of the families in my Church has a daughter that will come once in a while. She's always wearing tight slinky and minimal outfits. Last week she was wearing a tiny skirt, a tube top and a shrug so as little as possible was covered. I personally think it's horrible someone would let their 13 year old wear something that makes them a sex object instead of a child, but what can you do.

I like shrugs, they are great when I need something to keep my arms warm yet it isn't so warm I need a jacket or full sweater yet or I am doing something that a shawl or poncho would be unfeasable to wear at the moment.

Guess it is just a matter of personal preference.

First of all, shrugs can turn a plain black dress into something classy and Bette Davis-like. But the main reason that so many teens and preteens wear them is that slinky tank tops with spaghetti straps are in fashion, but are not within their schools dress code. So they wear the tanks, with a shrug over top. It covers their shoulders, but lets their fronts (which, if I had their fronts [read 'flat stomach'] I would want to show off too!) show. It's a great compromise for fashion and following the rules, which is rare in teens today, so good on them!

I work in a high school and I see shrugs all day and still love them.

So in otherwords...so they can wear as little as possible? It seems ridiculous that a see through shrug somehow makes an outfit that even a school calls indecent ok to wear. What next...all sheer dresses? It covers them so it's ok, right? Somehow I don't think it's that far away.

edited by Tiffany - no political discussions/comments ever please!

That wasn't even remotely political, but thanks for censoring me.

This is not the normal shrug, I think shrugs are great for a lot of reason, this particular one, blouses up and under in the lower back, WHY, is the question, it just looks stupid, got to CPC and see it, the one shown is made of loose stuff, the one in the mall was not, the blouse effect in lower back looks to me quite unconfortable and useless. That is my question.

I guess it's just personal preference....It's whats in style right now. Doesn't mean you have to like it.

to vigilant20...speaking of sheer dresses...did you see the dress Teri Hatcher wore to the grammys? Completly sheer.....could see her boy short underware clearly under it! I thought it was great for her and the occasion....but not really my "style"!

Well, I love shrugs. Because of the nature of my job, I attend many "fancy" meetings and events with high ranking members of our base. I have some lovely tanks that would be okay to wear, but I feel more comfortable with my arms at least somewhat covered at these events. For example, I have an elegant brown tank, it has decorations around the collar..so I made a simple brown shrug and I have had so many compliments on it. It's a personal choice and there isn't a need to judge someone because they like or don't like them. As far as children go, if they were active parents..you wouldn't have a problem with "sexy" dressing children. Kids are kids and yes sometimes they leave the house with one thing and end up in another at school..I did the same thing and turned out okay. But I had a very active mother as well. I can't tell anyone how to raise their children, or how they should dress. But be involved!

Donna

Shrugs often solve my wardrobe problem in the summer. I work in an air-conditioned (read: freezing!) office. Summer temps in Michigan are in the 80s and 90s with high humidity. So I find that wearing a light shrug over something more "summery" (like a tank or tee) keeps me warmer in the office, but I don't melt when I venture out for lunch! :lol

I think it is sort of cute. I don't mind the bagginess of it, since I like baggy sweaters. I still like the snug ones better, though.

I really like the concept of them though for the same reason as SheCrochets, and also because I like to wear little tank tops, but honestly can't go without a bra (not a high school girl, hehe) so they hide the straps if I wear one and hide the sag if I don't.

My pregnancy ten years ago didn't mess with my stomach in the long term, but it sure took its toll on my bosom.

So in otherwords...so they can wear as little as possible? It seems ridiculous that a see through shrug somehow makes an outfit that even a school calls indecent ok to wear. What next...all sheer dresses? It covers them so it's ok, right? Somehow I don't think it's that far away.

edited by Tiffany - no political discussions/comments ever please!

There are many, many different styles of shrugs...they are not necessarily see through...I just made one that was more like a sweater. Shrugs, quite frankly have almost always been around. 15 years ago I was making them out of 1 yard of fabric...they would drape down to my waist in the back. They were popular in the 40's...and it wasn't so much to get away with wearing as little as possible. Like another poster said, it's one way to cover one's arms when one is wearing a tank top or something with spaghetti straps. Or even something sleeveless...I know of no school that has completely forbidden sleeveless wear.

I like shrugs that are more like a bolero jacket...that drape in the back down to the waist and they are open in front, but can be pinned closed...and if made out of yarn can be tied closed...but I know most of the current fashion with shrugs is so that they are basically sleeves only...

Like I said, I used to make shrugs with 1 yard of fabric and lined...would only take an hour to sew and I could afford to buy 1 yard of really nice velvet or whatever...

The shrug I crocheted last week has been wonderful to wear as it's like a shawl with sleeves...

I'm not quite sure I understand what the complaint is about the shrugs...especially since there really are many different styles...

This is not the normal shrug, I think shrugs are great for a lot of reason, this particular one, blouses up and under in the lower back, WHY, is the question, it just looks stupid, got to CPC and see it, the one shown is made of loose stuff, the one in the mall was not, the blouse effect in lower back looks to me quite unconfortable and useless. That is my question.

Are you talking about the back draping? The draping isn't necessarily uncomfortable...It's hard to really judge since I'm having a hard time picturing it. Draping can be a really nice effect if done right...

Okay, now I've found the link to an example of what the original poster was talking about...this shrug would be right up my alley...it would be flattering on me and not the least bit uncomfortable to wear...

At no point will that topic be fit for discussion on a crochet board. End of discussion. Period.

Sorry I like shrugs in fact have done three of them so far for my 2 young adult daughters and have another one started. And plans and yarn for one for myself when I get this last one done. There are shrugs and then there are shrugs some are bulky and others more fitted. Fashions change and everyone has different tastes. Shawls have a lot of yarn behind them also. But shawls are always popular ... Shrugs stay put easier then shawls do.

:manyheart :manyheart

Archived