Well, shoot!!!

I have about 2' x 4' done on a blanket for my husband - started back in October - haven't touched it since - went to take it out today - CRAP I didn't leave the hook with it, although my gauge has changed in the last few months, much looser and closer to normal ... absolutely no clue what size hook I used.

I don't know what to do now. I'm using chenille on a big cone (was hoping to avoid cutting it - less ends ;)) but now I'm thinking I'm going to have to cut it where it is and start over, frogging the original as I go.

:bang

Um...can you try a few rows or rounds with a likely hook to see if it matches, and if it's not right, just frog the new stuff and try again with a larger or smaller hook until you have a match? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem but it seems like this is easier than restarting the whole thing?

Still kind of a newbie, sorry if I'm being a doofus,

Elissa

I do that all the time, too. I'll stick the hook in the yarn to remember what size I was using, then I need that hook and dig through bags of projects until I find it. Then weeks later when I go back to the old project, I usually have no idea what I was using. I know it would make sense to write it down and put it with the project, but that just never happens. So I do what everyone suggested already - do a swatch with the hook I think I originally used and adjust as necessary from there. And you said your tension has changed since you worked on it last, so maybe it's a good thing to have to do a swatch rather than start with the right hook and find out it doesn't match up any more.

here is what i would do .. i wouldnt cut it.. guess at my h ook do a little bit and if its wrong just frog back to where i started and adjust

I think I made it too wide too - and that I might run out of yarn before I get to the end because I made it too wide - I know I used either an M or N hook (old hooks) and since my gauge has changed so much I don't know if either of those will work now. I don't know how I'm going to adjust since the next size up (that I have) is a P hook.

Ugh - I'm going to have to play around with it, I guess.

I try to label projects with the hook I started with in case I abandon the project for a time. But often I've had to do some trial and error to figure out which hook to use to continue. So far that system has worked. Good luck!

I used to have that problem of not knowing the hook size. I finally went ot Michaels and bought the square beads with the letters on them. I put all the hook sizes I own on separate piece of yarn and tie. Then I just loop it around a stitch or a loop where I left off. I works, except for when I am doing more than one project at a time with the same hook. I have to get some more letter beads.

It works.

Val

I used to have that problem of not knowing the hook size. I finally went ot Michaels and bought the square beads with the letters on them. I put all the hook sizes I own on separate piece of yarn and tie. Then I just loop it around a stitch or a loop where I left off. I works, except for when I am doing more than one project at a time with the same hook. I have to get some more letter beads.

It works.

Val

That is a great idea, But why not make a set of stitch markers with the hook sizes on it and then you just use that in the last stitch done. And yes more than one set. Oooh I see a great gift idea for fellow crocheters, a set of hook markers in their own case. :D Thanks for the inspiration. Someone around here made a nifty marker case. Must go find that.........:D

That is a great idea, But why not make a set of stitch markers with the hook sizes on it and then you just use that in the last stitch done. And yes more than one set. Oooh I see a great gift idea for fellow crocheters, a set of hook markers in their own case. :D Thanks for the inspiration. Someone around here made a nifty marker case. Must go find that.........:D

EXCELLENT idea, both of you! If you find that marker case pattern, please share the link Kathy? Thanks!

EDITING TO ADD: Never mind! I just tripped over it, here's the link: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20122

"Ask, and it shall be given" :hook I already have the letter beads, stocked up a few months ago with a similar idea in mind, so I'm good to go!

It works.

Val

What an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!

Faith... I have sooooooooooo done that before. many times. Many, many times! :lol :lol :lol Both the hook thing and the winging it and making it too wide. Get this, though... there's this girl across the street that I am teaching to crochet. Anyway, she goes and gets some LB Homespun yarn and starts an afghan. Then she calls me up all excited and asks me to come see her progress... well she's got this GIGANTIC crocheted thing... like 15 feet long and about 10 inches wide. Like a scarf for a monster! I couldn't laugh... but Oh Boy... I did warn her it might take a whole lot of yarn to finish! :lol

Archived